The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Apr 2, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #3,813 of 12,991
Hey, it's been awhile. You still do the bass competitions? I've tuned the audio on my phone a bit and they slam a whole lot harder. Was actually recording a video, but my amp died:| Watching the part I got recorded and it blows away my previous videos. Wish I could record and play at same time on my phone. Video and mic quality aren't the greatest on my laptop

Edit- Found a way to record and play at the same time

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #3,814 of 12,991
@Hawaiibadboy, I asked it once already but you suggested me to ask otherwhere (where I have zero success, and I had to open TWO threads, here and on the help forum, and still received NO answer. Nobody was so gentle to do a simple thing like measuring the pads of their headphones).
So, I try again: do you know of any pads which can fit in the ATh-WS99? The original dimensions are 80mm outer diameter and 20mm thickness.
I would prefer something so, round, but thicker. And after your reply, I would like to buy two, one compact, one soft.
People use the HM5 for them, so, apparently it should not be necessary something exactly 80mm.

btw you talked positively of the HM5 pads, which are sold by mp4 nation.
They are much much bigger than the original ATH  ones. They will not seal at all on the vertical axis. My understanding is that this will reduce the bass, right?

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #3,815 of 12,991
Razer Kraken Pro
 ​

​
Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

Tape holding paper down - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing.
 ​
 ​
Test Conditions

Source:Nexus 6 with Extremebeats and Fauxsound gain:13db playing
Wiz Khalifa "On My Level"

Amp: FiioE11 gain: 11db
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​
Ignore screaming kid in the background :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #3,816 of 12,991

Razer Kraken Pro
 ​

​
Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

Tape holding paper down - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing.
 ​
 ​
Test Conditions

Source:Nexus 6 with Extremebeats and Fauxsound gain:13db playing
Wiz Khalifa "On My Level"

Amp: FiioE11 gain: 11db
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​
Ignore screaming kid in the background :)

OMG

That intro?

Classic.

Using a new DSP? That paper is jumping!!
Long time no see!!
beerchug.gif

@Hawaiibadboy, I asked it once already but you suggested me to ask otherwhere (where I have zero success, and I had to open TWO threads, here and on the help forum, and still received NO answer. Nobody was so gentle to do a simple thing like measuring the pads of their headphones).
So, I try again: do you know of any pads which can fit in the ATh-WS99? The original dimensions are 80mm outer diameter and 20mm thickness.
I would prefer something so, round, but thicker. And after your reply, I would like to buy two, one compact, one soft.
People use the HM5 for them, so, apparently it should not be necessary something exactly 80mm.

btw you talked positively of the HM5 pads, which are sold by mp4 nation.
They are much much bigger than the original ATH  ones. They will not seal at all on the vertical axis. My understanding is that this will reduce the bass, right?

The vibe passed by pads is not related to seal it's the reasonance of the driver/housing passing through so a seal will cause a better sound ...maybe and...too much seal can cause folks to flex the diaphragms by creating a vacuum when making and breaking a seal. If you are trying for comfort I'd get the HM5 if it's just bass I'd try stuffing material under the pads to lift them and get some space between your ears and the driver cage.

Sorry I cannot help more

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #3,817 of 12,991
  OMG

That intro?

Classic.

Using a new DSP? That paper is jumping!!
Long time no see!!
beerchug.gif

Hey! Been awhile. Going to try to get active on the forum. Miss all the bass.

It's more like an audio mod. Has the audio enhancements from a few phones plus I added SRS Circle Surround. A lot better than the Boomsound on my HTC
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2634729

► Pon-3 Audio
► AwesomeBeats
► PureAudio Engine
 NEW! HTC Beats Audio
► Harmon Kardon Audio
► xLoud
► Sony Clear Audio + Sony Clear Audio + Sony Clearphase
► Dolby Audio
► SRS WOW + SRS TRU BASS + SRS DEFINITION ENHANCER @ 30% Intensity
► 48000Khz Sampling @ 24bit
► eXtremeBeats xPress Engine Smartly Enhances Your Call Quality
► eXtrabass Libs
► Render Frequencies Lower Than 20Hz on Headphones
► Render Frequencies Lower Than 150Hz on Built In speaker
► Increased Volume Levels Throughout System
► Warmer Clearer Sound Via Built In Speaker, Headphones or Bluetooth
► Wider Soundstage
► Converts Low Quality MP3's To 320Kbps When Possible
► Less Noise With Updated Libs
► New Bass Optimizations For Punchier Clearer Bass
► New Treble Optimizations For Even An Even Clearer High End Listening Experience

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #3,818 of 12,991
ATTENTION BASSHEADS

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761206/jvc-sz2000-55x-pads-b-o-h6-both-pretty-much-bnib

Q. Why would anyone sell if they were so great?

A. Look at that forum. Every Flagship is there and cans worshipped by masses are sold everyday. It's a hobby. Folks choose wrong or they often just move on in a never ending quest.

That is a deal and come with the basshead pads.  Just an F.Y.I for anyone on the lookout

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #3,820 of 12,991
The vibe passed by pads is not related to seal it's the reasonance of the driver/housing passing through so a seal will cause a better sound ...maybe and...too much seal can cause folks to flex the diaphragms by creating a vacuum when making and breaking a seal. If you are trying for comfort I'd get the HM5 if it's just bass I'd try stuffing material under the pads to lift them and get some space between your ears and the driver cage. Sorry I cannot help more

I have read in some Amazon review about the HM5 not sealing well when used on smaller headphones (like it would be my case) and reducing the bass to a 75% of its original level.
I think I understand your point, but if I understand it well, you talk of the physical vibration passed to your skull, not of the audio waves.
In my experience when headphones do not seal well, I not only cannot feel the bass, but I also cannot ear it. It goes away through the opening caused by the bad seal.
It happened for example with the Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless, they have round and relatively hard pads but loose fit, so they do not press well against my head and do not seal perfectly. Just even chewing or moving the head right and left would produce a change of pitch in the bass and a reduction of its perceived loudness.
Don't you think that using the HM5 on a smaller and round drivers (80mm diameter, when the Hm5 have 90 horizontal and 110 vertical diameters) would produce an opening and let the sound go out, forcing me to use them at a louder volume?
I did not understand well the flexed diaphragm thing, I have interpreted like that if the pressure of the bass is so high that the bass cannot go anywhere, it will cause the diaphragm flexing toward the inside.
I am not sure that the ATH can produce enough bass for that.
But they have a semi open design, or at least an opening on the front of the drivers, supposedly to let the air produced by the bass go out from there.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,821 of 12,991
That should sound amazing. I received my Cayin C5 yesterday and th900 sounds amazing through that with my AK240

I am very much in love with my Cayin C5

I have read in some Amazon review about the HM5 not sealing well when used on smaller headphones (like it would be my case) and reducing the bass to a 75% of its original level.
I think I understand your point, but if I understand it well, you talk of the physical vibration passed to your skull, not of the audio waves.
In my experience when headphones do not seal well, I not only cannot feel the bass, but I also cannot ear it. It goes away through the opening caused by the bad seal.
It happened for example with the Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless, they have round and relatively hard pads but loose fit, so they do not press well against my head and do not seal perfectly. Just even chewing or moving the head right and left would produce a change of pitch in the bass and a reduction of its perceived loudness.
Don't you think that using the HM5 on a smaller and round drivers (80mm diameter, when the Hm5 have 90 horizontal and 110 vertical diameters) would produce an opening and let the sound go out, forcing me to use them at a louder volume?
I did not understand well the flexed diaphragm thing, I have interpreted like that if the pressure of the bass is so high that the bass cannot go anywhere, it will cause the diaphragm flexing toward the inside.
I am not sure that the ATH can produce enough bass for that.
But they have a semi open design, or at least an opening on the front of the drivers, supposedly to let the air produced by the bass go out from there.

My Sz slam so hard it makes air farts out the side of the not comfy XX pads

I wish i could help more with the pads. I really just want to slam my skull with the hardest cleanest bass right to the edge of distortion/ear damage and that's it. You should contact the maker on Facebook and see if they can help
Omg, just realized the amp was set to low gain in that video

Did you tape one side of the paper...
deadhorse.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #3,822 of 12,991
   I wish i could help more with the pads. I really just want to slam my skull with the hardest cleanest bass right to the edge of distortion/ear damage and that's it. You should contact the maker on Facebook and see if they can help

Your wish to help is nice. Thanks.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #3,824 of 12,991

When you take the screws out do not carry them across the face of the driver as the magnets are really powerful and suck them right into the dome. That happens a lot. Pull the screws out with your fingers just before they come out and pull them away from the drivers.  Man....so many folks have gone FAIL right there. Little screws and strong magnets....bad stuff. Move slowly and methodically
Practice propping the set before opening as you wanna put zero tension on the wires so make a cradle ...a book or 2 or 3 to stabalize it and then proceed. slowly. Whatever you do can be undone.

The screws...beware the screws.

I'd like to report that the modding went well.  Took around 20 minutes.  Removed pads, unscrewed drivers, peeled off tape exposing 3 vent holes, reapplied tape at 90 degrees covering the middle hole leaving the 2 on either side vented.  I'm very happy with the results.  The bass was quite lean before the mod.  Now however, it is very full with good impact.  The mids are not recessed and there is sparkle in the highs.  Excellent results for $45.  They are ultra comfortable and have a removable cable.  I do wish they would collapse though for increased portability.  Still, very happy camper here.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #3,825 of 12,991

I'd like to report that the modding went well.  Took around 20 minutes.  Removed pads, unscrewed drivers, peeled off tape exposing 3 vent holes, reapplied tape at 90 degrees covering the middle hole leaving the 2 on either side vented.  I'm very happy with the results.  The bass was quite lean before the mod.  Now however, it is very full with good impact.  The mids are not recessed and there is sparkle in the highs.  Excellent results for $45.  They are ultra comfortable and have a removable cable.  I do wish they would collapse though for increased portability.  Still, very happy camper here.

Thanks for letting us know. Good bass, not scooped mids and sparkly highs at a decent price.
Sounds good (no pun intended)
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back