The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #11,596 of 12,992
The likelyhood of acquiring an intact mint condition pair of SZ2000's, that are not broken and still working is well, unlikely. I have a pair of SZ1000's with a broken hinge, and a pair of worn out sheepskin pads. Truth is, the SZ series can's all suffered the same fate. Yes, they were all bass canon kings. Yes, when properly amped they were like a subwoofer on your head. But its also true that everything else was veiled on them unless you did some EQ. The can's have been discontinued for like 3 to 4-years now, so you can't find a brand new pair anymore.

One of the worst parts about the whole ordeal, is there was never any support from JVC. Not only did they do a crappy job marketing them, which pretty much insured their forgone demise, but they were never there with a warranty to to replace the cans incase of them breaking. All of us who lost our cans, lost them for good. Because of the known issues, and what happened to mine, it was obvious that I wasn't going to chance buying another pair on Ebay even if they were still intact, cause I knew they wouldn't be for long.

So after some advice on here, I went with the V-Moda Crossfade LP2's for my replacement. And, just like with the JVC's, as long as I do proper amping and EQ, they hit just as hard as my SZ1000's, and they really do sound good. Mine are modified with a headband cusion/cover, and a set of Wicked Cushions pads. Also, I am using a 22-gauge Canare Star Quad AUX cable on them, which I had to do a little cough, modification to the 1/8 connector to allow it to click in, cause V-Moda's signature is to recess the 1/8 jack too far to allow me to jack in, without modification. HEHE

Thats why I am hoping to find a set in pristine condition with the idea that I can baby them / take care of them for years to come. I need to come to terms on finding a different pair that I can actually acquire that will make me happy.

As far as the LP2s, thats great to hear that they hit on par with the sz1000s! How do they fit on the ears? Stock pads vs your Wicked Cushions? I remember reading something that they aren't comfortable for someone with big ears. I'm 6'1" with a pretty large head, so I assume that my ears fall into the large category. One of the reasons why I went with the Z7, it is an incredibly plush and comfortable pair of headphones to wear.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #11,597 of 12,992
No, I don't use headphones portably. When I used to fly often I was using some SE215. I can't see leaving a pair of headphones on the seat when I go to the can. Nobody knows if they'll still be there when I get back.

You can see the cans I have in my list. I was only interested in the E-mu because Tyll's review said they were good and there was a post by somebody from Netherlands (sorry, I can't remember his name) where he had amazing wood cups from E-mu. Looking closely I don't like the construction and I'll wait till I have money for something built better.
Ahh, I see. Well, if you don't use headphones on-the-go, then it negates the use-case advantage of the E-MU Walnut. It's one forte is its ability to bring excellent bass at its price point, and in a very-portable form factor. If you only use headphones at home, then, yeah, there's really little point in getting a Walnut, especially since you already have some really good headphones.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #11,598 of 12,992
Ahh, I see. Well, if you don't use headphones on-the-go, then it negates the use-case advantage of the E-MU Walnut. It's one forte is its ability to bring excellent bass at its price point, and in a very-portable form factor. If you only use headphones at home, then, yeah, there's really little point in getting a Walnut, especially since you already have some really good headphones.
I won't consider my small collection complete until I get me some blue and green TH-900 goodness! Ok, honestly I want a pair of Eikons too :D

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #11,599 of 12,992
I won't consider my small collection complete until I get me some blue and green TH-900 goodness! Ok, honestly I want a pair of Eikons too :D
There is the new (limited-edition) Pearl White TH 900 Mk2 too.... :wink:

fostex-th-900mk2-pearl-white-01__03670.1603302879.jpg

I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need this headphone. :frowning2:

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #11,600 of 12,992

I know, don't remind me. Unfortunately there is no way for me to buy it outside the EU and I posted in both vendor threads asking for a European source but they didn't answer.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #11,601 of 12,992

I love it, and I need it, but I can't afford it :slight_frown:

I'm still looking for a DT 770 upgrade that has ridiculous sub bass at a reasonable price, pretty hard to find. I'd be done with upgrades if I had the TH 900's :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #11,602 of 12,992
I know, don't remind me. Unfortunately there is no way for me to buy it outside the EU and I posted in both vendor threads asking for a European source but they didn't answer.
Yeah, I've just seen your posts on the Head-Fi announcement thread.

Shipping in to the EU from the States should be prohibitively expensive, I suppose? There's customs and all? This is a really limited run, so I think that stocks are restricted to a few key vendors; sadly, I think that this version was created specifically for the US market.

I love it, and I need it, but I can't afford it :slight_frown:

I'm still looking for a DT 770 upgrade that has ridiculous sub bass at a reasonable price, pretty hard to find. I'd be done with upgrades if I had the TH 900's :)
That's the nature of the beast, isn't it? There's always something new and expensive to drool over. This is Fostex's 3rd limited-edition version of the same headphone - there was the Emerald and Sapphire editions; and now, the Pearl White. I wonder what colors will come next? :wink:

Honestly, the TH900 Mk2 is a great headphone, but it has its foibles. It'll be good if a successor is released soon.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #11,603 of 12,992
Yeah, I've just seen your posts on the Head-Fi announcement thread.

Shipping in to the EU from the States should be prohibitively expensive, I suppose? There's customs and all? This is a really limited run, so I think that stocks are restricted to a few key vendors; sadly, I think that this version was created specifically for the US market.

That's the nature of the beast, isn't it? There's always something new and expensive to drool over. This is Fostex's 3rd limited-edition version of the same headphone - there was the Emerald and Sapphire editions; and now, the Pearl White. I wonder what colors will come next? :wink:

Honestly, the TH900 Mk2 is a great headphone, but it has its foibles. It'll be good if a successor is released soon.
After doing thousands and thousands of hours of research over the years I've realized that I'm not sensitive to the high treble of certain headphones, and honestly, I kind of prefer it.

I absolutely LOVE the sapphire edition.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #11,606 of 12,992
I searched for "SZ2000" listed by most recent and everything appears to have been marked as SOLD. I am going to be more active on keeping my eyes peeled for this apparent unicorn in case something pops up.

I think my Z7s do a pretty good job in the bass department (thanks to that 70mm driver no doubt) but it leaves me craving more. I also listened to Oluv Gadgets (on youtube) sound demo on the TR-x00 and they kinda sound boomy to me? Possibly like mid bass bloat? Not sure if thats the case, but I think I am chasing a pair of headphones that do well in the 20-50hz range. How would one compare the LCD-2 to say the SZ1000/2000?

Also planning on picking up a iFi Black Label to see if that wakes up my Z7s any. I am currently (and embarrassingly) using a Fiio A3 as my means of amplification without a DAC :grimacing:
No, just no to the lcd (or any audeze really) if you want bass. Those are bassy to people who are used to neutral sigs.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #11,608 of 12,992
Does anyone own the MDR-Z7M2? Curious if they're worth it or not, they do look pretty solid though.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #11,609 of 12,992

Amazing, I didn't know they had a new edition.

Every time I come across those gorgeous red 900s, I'm very tempted. That bass is addictive, but I worry about the hinges. Have had other Fostex cans with the same style break on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back