The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 18, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #11,581 of 12,970
Well, we could always start a new basshead list. I have already created one, and I'd like to amend that on a regular basis. I'm not sure how users will take to a new/different thread, though. This one already has hundreds of pages of history in it. :)

In other news, I have just pounced on a really awesome deal for a brand-new Klipsch HP-3. I should be getting them soon!

That's a pretty good list.

To celebrate your list, I will now listen to my HD800. :k701smile: Because man cannot survive on bass alone.

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #11,582 of 12,970
This is a list of the headphones with the best bass, IMO. They are categorized by their respective price brackets.

Note: Some of these headphones are straight-out bass cannons, whilst others have quality bass. I will probably provide a more structured and detailed list sometime in the future.

The headphones in bold + italics are discontinued; however, if you can get a hold of some of them, you will be a very happy camper.

Sub-$100
  • AKG K518DJ
  • Betron Retro
  • Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO
  • Creative Aurvana Live!
  • E-MU Walnut
  • Sony MDR-XB300
$101-$300
  • AKG K371
  • AKG K67 Tiesto
  • Audio-Technica M50x
  • Audio-Technica PRO700 MK2
  • Audio-Technica WS1100iS
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
  • Creative Aurvana Live! 2
  • Denon AH-D1100
  • JVC HA-MR77X
  • JVC HA-SZ2000
  • Sony MDR-1AM2
  • Sony MDR-XB500
  • Sony MDR-XB700
  • Sony WH-XB900N
  • Ultrasone PRO 580i
  • V-MODA Crossfade LP2
  • V-MODA Crossfade M-100
  • V-MODA Crossfade Wireless 2
$301-$500
  • Denon AH-D600 Music Maniac
  • Denon AH-D2000
  • Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac
  • E-MU Teak
  • Fostex TH610
  • Fostex TH-X00
  • Fostex TR-X00
  • Meze 99 Classics
  • Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless
  • Sony MDR-XB1000
  • Sony WH-1000XM3
  • Ultrasone PRO 900i
$501-$1,000
  • Audeze LCD-2
  • Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
  • Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO
  • Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Generation)
  • Campfire Audio Cascade
  • Denon AH-D5000
  • Denon AH-D5200
  • Denon AH-D7000
  • Denon AH-D7200
  • Sony MDR-Z7
  • Sony MDR-Z7M2
  • Ultrasone Signature DJ
Above S$1,000
  • Audeze LCD-3
  • Audeze LCD-XC
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS
  • Denon AH-D9200
  • Focal Stellia
  • Fostex TH900 Mk2
  • Klipsch Heritage HP-3
  • Sony MDR-Z1R
  • ZMF Atticus
  • ZMF Vérité Closed
Edit
7 August: Added the Betron Retro, Sony MDR-XB300
11 July: Added the Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO
10 July: Added the Creative Aurvana Live! 2, Denon D2000, D5000, V-MODA Crossfade Wireless
E-mu walnut is less than 100 dollars?!

Oct 20, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #11,583 of 12,970
From the EMU site...guessing Drop is at or below this price when they have them.

EMU Purplehearts are $75 currently on Drop
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-e-mu-purpleheart

1603192644284.png

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #11,584 of 12,970
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #11,585 of 12,970
Thanks, I'll check the e-mu site. drop is no can do, by the time i get it past the taxman it's 2-3x the price

I think we should tax the tax man :joy:

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #11,586 of 12,970
That's a pretty good list.

To celebrate your list, I will now listen to my HD800. :k701smile: Because man cannot survive on bass alone.
Thanks.. and half a dozen years ago, I would thoroughly disagree. I'd say that bass is all I needed (wanted) in life.

In the audiophile sense, I've matured a lot since, so I'm inclined to agree - yes, bass isn't everything, although it still remains the most important facet of the sound spectrum.

In short - it was all about 'extra bass' then. Now, it's a good blend of quality and quantity. :)

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #11,587 of 12,970
From the EMU site...guessing Drop is at or below this price when they have them.

EMU Purplehearts are $75 currently on Drop
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-e-mu-purpleheart

Yeah, that's the price on the E-MU site. I, too, thought that it had a higher MSRP. Something in the region of $120-130. For a wood-clothed Creative Aurvana Live!, I think that it is priced very decently. :)

Are you planning on getting one?

@GearMe Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #11,588 of 12,970
Yeah, that's the price on the E-MU site. I, too, thought that it had a higher MSRP. Something in the region of $120-130. For a wood-clothed Creative Aurvana Live!, I think that it is priced very decently. :)

Are you planning on getting one?

@GearMe Thanks!
No, after looking at it I think it would not be a good idea for me. I'm going to try to get some TH-900s when I get the money.

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #11,589 of 12,970
No, after looking at it I think it would not be a good idea for me. I'm going to try to get some TH-900s when I get the money.
Well, if you need a decent portable headphone with good bass and a sub-$100 price, you can always try the Creative Aurvana Live! or the E-MU Walnut. Both are equally competent at presenting a low-end region that punches well above its price tag. :)

On the other hand, if you (greatly) enjoy your bass, going for the Fostex TH900 Mk2 is one of the best choices you can make. It's fun, energetic, and has some of the best mid-bass slam and sub-bass extension in the headphone world.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #11,590 of 12,970
Hello everyone!

Long time luker on this site and finally made an account at the beginning of the year to buy a pair of Sony Z7's. I was in search of a pair of headphones that had a lot of bass but also sound quality. Came across a deal on a pair of Z7s that I couldn't pass up. Going from a gaming headset to the Sonys was quite an impressive step up but I am once again on the hunt to satisfy my basshead itch.

I am happy with any genre of music I throw at my Z7s and love the way they sound, but when I get the craving to listen to some dubstep (Examples: Zeds Dead - Eyes on Fire, Bassnectar - Timestretch) I am left wanting more then the Z7s can give me. Thought about finding a pair of x00 purplehearts, but have a feeling they might not even be enough.

Long story short: Looking for a pair of JVC HA-SZ2000 in Excellent/Mint condition and would rather buy here instead of fleaBay if possible. I am too new to post a WTB ad in the classified section so I figured id start somewhere an make a post on this thread. Its a long shot, but heres to hoping someone sees this that has a pair they want to get rid of.

Thanks for taking the time to read my 1st post. Stay safe everyone!

Anthony

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #11,591 of 12,970
Well, if you need a decent portable headphone with good bass and a sub-$100 price, you can always try the Creative Aurvana Live! or the E-MU Walnut. Both are equally competent at presenting a low-end region that punches well above its price tag. :)

On the other hand, if you (greatly) enjoy your bass, going for the Fostex TH900 Mk2 is one of the best choices you can make. It's fun, energetic, and has some of the best mid-bass slam and sub-bass extension in the headphone world.

No, I don't use headphones portably. When I used to fly often I was using some SE215. I can't see leaving a pair of headphones on the seat when I go to the can. Nobody knows if they'll still be there when I get back.

You can see the cans I have in my list. I was only interested in the E-mu because Tyll's review said they were good and there was a post by somebody from Netherlands (sorry, I can't remember his name) where he had amazing wood cups from E-mu. Looking closely I don't like the construction and I'll wait till I have money for something built better.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #11,592 of 12,970
Hello everyone!

Long time luker on this site and finally made an account at the beginning of the year to buy a pair of Sony Z7's. I was in search of a pair of headphones that had a lot of bass but also sound quality. Came across a deal on a pair of Z7s that I couldn't pass up. Going from a gaming headset to the Sonys was quite an impressive step up but I am once again on the hunt to satisfy my basshead itch.

I am happy with any genre of music I throw at my Z7s and love the way they sound, but when I get the craving to listen to some dubstep (Examples: Zeds Dead - Eyes on Fire, Bassnectar - Timestretch) I am left wanting more then the Z7s can give me. Thought about finding a pair of x00 purplehearts, but have a feeling they might not even be enough.

Long story short: Looking for a pair of JVC HA-SZ2000 in Excellent/Mint condition and would rather buy here instead of fleaBay if possible. I am too new to post a WTB ad in the classified section so I figured id start somewhere an make a post on this thread. Its a long shot, but heres to hoping someone sees this that has a pair they want to get rid of.

Anthony
There was a pair up a few days ago you should check the classified. Maybe its still up ?

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #11,593 of 12,970
Hello everyone!

Anthony
Congrats on your Z7s!

To my ears, the bass on the SZ-2000 was very good but I couldn't get past the veiled mids and meh treble. Honestly wished I would've tried the SZ-1000 instead. That said, while I like the indulgence of basshead cans, I really need to hear the rest of the music as well. :wink:

FWIW, the X00 Purplehearts were nice...was sorry to let them go but sold them and some other gear to fund an LCD-XC purchase.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #11,594 of 12,970
The likelyhood of acquiring an intact mint condition pair of SZ2000's, that are not broken and still working is well, unlikely. I have a pair of SZ1000's with a broken hinge, and a pair of worn out sheepskin pads. Truth is, the SZ series can's all suffered the same fate. Yes, they were all bass canon kings. Yes, when properly amped they were like a subwoofer on your head. But its also true that everything else was veiled on them unless you did some EQ. The can's have been discontinued for like 3 to 4-years now, so you can't find a brand new pair anymore.

One of the worst parts about the whole ordeal, is there was never any support from JVC. Not only did they do a crappy job marketing them, which pretty much insured their forgone demise, but they were never there with a warranty to to replace the cans incase of them breaking. All of us who lost our cans, lost them for good. Because of the known issues, and what happened to mine, it was obvious that I wasn't going to chance buying another pair on Ebay even if they were still intact, cause I knew they wouldn't be for long.

So after some advice on here, I went with the V-Moda Crossfade LP2's for my replacement. And, just like with the JVC's, as long as I do proper amping and EQ, they hit just as hard as my SZ1000's, and they really do sound good. Mine are modified with a headband cusion/cover, and a set of Wicked Cushions pads. Also, I am using a 22-gauge Canare Star Quad AUX cable on them, which I had to do a little cough, modification to the 1/8 connector to allow it to click in, cause V-Moda's signature is to recess the 1/8 jack too far to allow me to jack in, without modification. HEHE

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #11,595 of 12,970
There was a pair up a few days ago you should check the classified. Maybe its still up ?

I searched for "SZ2000" listed by most recent and everything appears to have been marked as SOLD. I am going to be more active on keeping my eyes peeled for this apparent unicorn in case something pops up.

Congrats on your Z7s!

To my ears, the bass on the SZ-2000 was very good but I couldn't get past the veiled mids and meh treble. Honestly wished I would've tried the SZ-1000 instead. That said, while I like the indulgence of basshead cans, I really need to hear the rest of the music as well. :wink:

FWIW, the X00 Purplehearts were nice...was sorry to let them go but sold them and some other gear to fund an LCD-XC purchase.

I think my Z7s do a pretty good job in the bass department (thanks to that 70mm driver no doubt) but it leaves me craving more. I also listened to Oluv Gadgets (on youtube) sound demo on the TR-x00 and they kinda sound boomy to me? Possibly like mid bass bloat? Not sure if thats the case, but I think I am chasing a pair of headphones that do well in the 20-50hz range. How would one compare the LCD-2 to say the SZ1000/2000?

Also planning on picking up a iFi Black Label to see if that wakes up my Z7s any. I am currently (and embarrassingly) using a Fiio A3 as my means of amplification without a DAC :grimacing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back