The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #11,611 of 12,992
Does anyone own the MDR-Z7M2? Curious if they're worth it or not, they do look pretty solid though.

I dont own the M2's but I am currently listening with my Z7s. In a nutshell, when I was doing my research on these I kept reading that the M2's are less bassy then the M1's which is why I ultimately pulled the trigger on the originals. When I got home from work today I started looking up Z7 mods and came across a few. The first I did was use surgical tape on the insides of the cups - I did not care for the new sound profile and quickly ripped off my 1+ hour of work cutting it all out/ carefully placing it. I then came across a VERY SIMPLE mod of placing a little piece of tape over a tiny little hole in the driver baffle that vents the cup into the ear pads. WOW. What a difference!

A few post ago I was complaining that I wasn't satisfied with these and wanted to find a pair of JVC SZ2000s to rattle my skull. NOT ANYMORE! These hit much lower and cleaner now. Still going to buy an amp/dac to complete my setup, but for the moment I am incredibly happy.

The quote from another member on a different forum:

" Yep, that's right. the bass distortion is entirely fixable. This is the bass a 70mm driver deserves. Quite a bit more extended than stock too. Not only that, but it's even a very simple fix. On the very outside of the back of the driver baffle there are two paper filters. One of these has a tiny vent hole that seemingly vents to underneath the pad. Cover that with a strip of tape and most of the bass distortion (especially the nasty D3) is gone. That hole is also why bass rolls off below 35Hz, so you also get more extension, which will probably be too much without any other mods. "

ALSO worth mentioning is that in my research today is that it gets compared to the Fostex TH-900.

Quote by @Whitigir: For the record, Z7 bass is much more addicting than th900 after mods on both. However they compliment each other very very well.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #11,612 of 12,992
Damn son, i worry about my wallet and you worry about hinges :dt880smile:

Hearing the TH-900's bass for the first time had me really tempted to save and splurge...Someone sold one recently for about $900, and it looked phenomenal. It just that those hinges really do give me pause, haha.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #11,613 of 12,992
OMG, your still using the Fiio A3? Well thats a huge part of the problem right there, and I should know, cause I own one, as well as the newer more powerful A5. The Fiio A3 puts out 450MW into 16-OHMS, and 270MW into 32-OHMS. Thats like trying to suck thick ice cream through a straw when it comes to power delivery. The A3 is a perfect amp for IEM's though, you aint gonna get much better. The Fiio A5 for comparison puts out 1W into 16-OHMS, and 800MW into 32-OHMS, which makes it a good candidate for powering ON EARS up to 40mm drivers.

If you want to get the most that you can out of large driver OVER EAR cans, I've learned from experience, that you need a desktop amp, capable of delivering at least 3-WATTS into 32-OHMS. Additionally, if your using 16-OHM cans, my amp can deliver 6-watts, which gives you plenty of room on the volume pot without even taking it up half way yet. You should always get your setup squared away before you start making new headphone purchases. I recommend what I am using now, the S.M.S.L SP200 AMP, and the S.M.S.L M200 DAC.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #11,614 of 12,992
Yeah, I've just seen your posts on the Head-Fi announcement thread.

Shipping in to the EU from the States should be prohibitively expensive, I suppose? There's customs and all? This is a really limited run, so I think that stocks are restricted to a few key vendors; sadly, I think that this version was created specifically for the US market.

That's the nature of the beast, isn't it? There's always something new and expensive to drool over. This is Fostex's 3rd limited-edition version of the same headphone - there was the Emerald and Sapphire editions; and now, the Pearl White. I wonder what colors will come next? :wink:

Honestly, the TH900 Mk2 is a great headphone, but it has its foibles. It'll be good if a successor is released soon.
Shipping can be a bit expensive but the real costs are in dynamic taxes, miscellaneous fees, customs clearing charges, penalties, etc. I bought something for 99 USD one time and I paid another 150 USD in shipping and getting it imported. I got burned on this enough times I will never try it on big ticket items.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #11,615 of 12,992
OMG, your still using the Fiio A3? Well thats a huge part of the problem right there, and I should know, cause I own one, as well as the newer more powerful A5. The Fiio A3 puts out 450MW into 16-OHMS, and 270MW into 32-OHMS. Thats like trying to suck thick ice cream through a straw when it comes to power delivery. The A3 is a perfect amp for IEM's though, you aint gonna get much better. The Fiio A5 for comparison puts out 1W into 16-OHMS, and 800MW into 32-OHMS, which makes it a good candidate for powering ON EARS up to 40mm drivers.

If you want to get the most that you can out of large driver OVER EAR cans, I've learned from experience, that you need a desktop amp, capable of delivering at least 3-WATTS into 32-OHMS. Additionally, if your using 16-OHM cans, my amp can deliver 6-watts, which gives you plenty of room on the volume pot without even taking it up half way yet. You should always get your setup squared away before you start making new headphone purchases. I recommend what I am using now, the S.M.S.L SP200 AMP, and the S.M.S.L M200 DAC.
The HD 600 is another example of a headphone that needs way more power and way more quality power than people would think just from reading the numbers. Whenever I point it out one or two piranhas start trying to eat me alive :D

So yeah, some cans need a lot of power or they just don't sound like they should. It has nothing to do with how loud they can get.

Oct 23, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #11,616 of 12,992
Thats why I am hoping to find a set in pristine condition with the idea that I can baby them / take care of them for years to come. I need to come to terms on finding a different pair that I can actually acquire that will make me happy.

As far as the LP2s, thats great to hear that they hit on par with the sz1000s! How do they fit on the ears? Stock pads vs your Wicked Cushions? I remember reading something that they aren't comfortable for someone with big ears. I'm 6'1" with a pretty large head, so I assume that my ears fall into the large category. One of the reasons why I went with the Z7, it is an incredibly plush and comfortable pair of headphones to wear.

Greenfun13, I apologize for not answering your question sooner. I've been working my butt off lately, so little time for forum action.

The V-Moda LP2's have 50mm drivers, which are literally 5mm smaller then the SZ1000's, but its all in the design. The LP2's are 32-OHM can's, which means that my S.M.S.L SP200 amp, can deliver a whopping 3-watts into them on high gain. (Tim Allen grunt here) Plus, I added an extra 5HP by adding the gold aluminum volume knob. Just kidding, thought I'd make you chuckle with that one. With a good clean source from my M200 DAC, and a strong full 5V line level, their is nothing stifling about my setup when it comes to power, especially since I am using quality 22-gauge Monoprice RCA cables.

All I had to do, was then use my Realistic 12-band equalizer, to adjust the frequencies, so the bass was set to pop a nut level, and the high frequencies set to heavenly levels. It is true what you've heard though about the cups being a bit narrow, the pads are sort of diamond shaped, and if you have big ears, they may not fit within the holes. However, the only way your going to know for sure, is to test them out. The stock pads are absolutely terrible, but so were the stock pads on my now broken SZ1000's.

To anyone who is thinking about becoming a V-Moda owner, your first priority, is to get Wicked Cushions pads. They are so much more comfortable, and they last longer too from what I can tell. And I already applied the first Honey Leather conditioner treatment on them. Also, just like the SZ1000's had, these LP2's have serious levels of clamping force. Its like, ok ok I'll talk, I'll give you the location to the rebel base! But unlike the SZ1000's which used a plastic headband, the LP2's use spring steel.

And you know what that means? Thats right, time to unleash your inner Hulk, and spread that headband apart with brute force persuasion, for fitment justification in perfection. Also, another thing about the headband, is its padding is laughable as well, totally unacceptable. So you want to get a headband cusion/cover like I have, which makes the headband far more comfortable. It also has the added value of preventing headband flecks on your head once the pleather liner begins to well, fleck.

Hope this post helps.

Oct 23, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #11,617 of 12,992
The HD 600 is another example of a headphone that needs way more power and way more quality power than people would think just from reading the numbers. Whenever I point it out one or two piranhas start trying to eat me alive :D

So yeah, some cans need a lot of power or they just don't sound like they should. It has nothing to do with how loud they can get.

Hey, aint those HD 600's like a 300-OHM can or something? My SP200 does 440MW into 300-OHMS, and a sad 220MW into 600-OHMS. Believe it or not, there are headphone desktop amps capable of pushing 10-watts or more, but they cost up in the thousands. But of course, according to anime loving Zeos, he claims that some of these can's won't even open up, unless you have a monster AMP to power them. Well at that point, you might as well mount a couple of 6" driver bookshelf speakers to your ears, and crank up the volume till you puke all over yourself. lol

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #11,618 of 12,992
Hey, aint those HD 600's like a 300-OHM can or something? My SP200 does 440MW into 300-OHMS, and a sad 220MW into 600-OHMS. Believe it or not, there are headphone desktop amps capable of pushing 10-watts or more, but they cost up in the thousands. But of course, according to anime loving Zeos, he claims that some of these can's won't even open up, unless you have a monster AMP to power them. Well at that point, you might as well mount a couple of 6" driver bookshelf speakers to your ears, and crank up the volume till you puke all over yourself. lol
The HD 600 is nominal 300 ohms but I read it can vary up to around 600 ohms at certain frequencies. They just seem to like a lot of voltage and run best out of tube OTL amps or strong solid state amps. I believe 1W at 300 ohms is a good start and the amp should be able to swing at least 15V. If not, they sound lifeless and thin.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #11,619 of 12,992
All you bass cravers...............any one of you drive your desired headphones from a vintage speaker amp? Might want to try it..............flip the tone switch on, add some bass, flip the loudness switch on and turn up the volume. Seriously, that's all I use for my headphones and all thump - HD800S, LCD2C, HE-6SE, Denon LA7000................all of them sound amazing and the bass is all you can handle. This is my primary system...............

Cerwin Vega DX-5 setup for Spec system with JBL Sub.jpg

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #11,621 of 12,992
Yes, I have heard of folks like you guys powering cans via a speaker amp. But I must express caution to newbies doing this. You can toast your can's drivers in a hot second if you crank the volume too high. Most speaker amps put out 20-watts or more power for each channel, so it don't take much to make those drivers pop like sweet misties cherry.

Oct 23, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #11,622 of 12,992

I know, I know! Don't remind me! I bought the A3 for my IEMs, which it works great for. Ever since getting my Z7s getting a proper amp has been on my to-do list, but I kept justifying my holding off on all the people that say the Z7s are easy to drive (even though they're 70 OHM). Deep down I knew I needed to order something to take full advantage of the headphone, and now the time has come to order something!

When I ordered the Z7s back in Feburary I was thinking about getting a Schiit stack with a Loki (liked the idea of an equalizer). After downloading Equalizer APO w/ PEACE, I think I am okay with using a digital EQ when I am at my desk. (Anyone have a recommendation for an Android based EQ for when I am on the go?) However, I like the idea of not being solely tied to my computer/desk area. What do you think about going with an iFi iDSD Micro Black Label instead of a desktop amp/dac for the time being? Wouldn't mind being able to walk around the house or into the backyard while jamming out. That should be plenty of power for these cans, right?

Oct 23, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #11,623 of 12,992
Greenfun13, I apologize for not answering your question sooner. I've been working my butt off lately, so little time for forum action.

The V-Moda LP2's have 50mm drivers, which are literally 5mm smaller then the SZ1000's, but its all in the design. The LP2's are 32-OHM can's, which means that my S.M.S.L SP200 amp, can deliver a whopping 3-watts into them on high gain. (Tim Allen grunt here) Plus, I added an extra 5HP by adding the gold aluminum volume knob. Just kidding, thought I'd make you chuckle with that one. With a good clean source from my M200 DAC, and a strong full 5V line level, their is nothing stifling about my setup when it comes to power, especially since I am using quality 22-gauge Monoprice RCA cables.

All I had to do, was then use my Realistic 12-band equalizer, to adjust the frequencies, so the bass was set to pop a nut level, and the high frequencies set to heavenly levels. It is true what you've heard though about the cups being a bit narrow, the pads are sort of diamond shaped, and if you have big ears, they may not fit within the holes. However, the only way your going to know for sure, is to test them out. The stock pads are absolutely terrible, but so were the stock pads on my now broken SZ1000's.

To anyone who is thinking about becoming a V-Moda owner, your first priority, is to get Wicked Cushions pads. They are so much more comfortable, and they last longer too from what I can tell. And I already applied the first Honey Leather conditioner treatment on them. Also, just like the SZ1000's had, these LP2's have serious levels of clamping force. Its like, ok ok I'll talk, I'll give you the location to the rebel base! But unlike the SZ1000's which used a plastic headband, the LP2's use spring steel.

And you know what that means? Thats right, time to unleash your inner Hulk, and spread that headband apart with brute force persuasion, for fitment justification in perfection. Also, another thing about the headband, is its padding is laughable as well, totally unacceptable. So you want to get a headband cusion/cover like I have, which makes the headband far more comfortable. It also has the added value of preventing headband flecks on your head once the pleather liner begins to well, fleck.

Hope this post helps.

Thanks for the breakdown on the V-Modas! I appreciated the Tim Allen reference, as well as the HP mod on your amp! :laughing: Did you hear the oldest kid from Home Improvement recently got arrested for trying to strangle his girlfriend!

Back on topic. I think before going down the headphone rabbit hole and buying anything new to play with I am going to get my amp/dac squared away. I have a feeling the Z7s are going to surprise me even more once they properly driven. Depending on what you say about the iFi Black Label, I am definitely giving the SMSL amp/dac a look over. I would eventually like to have a proper desktop setup, as well as something I can lug around the house, or take on vacation. Which is why I was leaning towards the Black Label to start with. Any other powerful amp/dac combos out there worth looking at?

I would rather have too much power, then not enough power. Currently running an old Rockford Fosgate Power T20001bd amp in my Mustang putting 2288 RMS watts (verified, according to its birth sheet :sunglasses:) to my 12" Sundown Audio U12 - 2ohm in a 3 sqft ported box tuned to 30hz. I guess you can say I like my bass, and in excessive quantities. :L3000:

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #11,624 of 12,992
Thanks for the breakdown on the V-Modas! I appreciated the Tim Allen reference, as well as the HP mod on your amp! :laughing: Did you hear the oldest kid from Home Improvement recently got arrested for trying to strangle his girlfriend!

Back on topic. I think before going down the headphone rabbit hole and buying anything new to play with I am going to get my amp/dac squared away. I have a feeling the Z7s are going to surprise me even more once they properly driven. Depending on what you say about the iFi Black Label, I am definitely giving the SMSL amp/dac a look over. I would eventually like to have a proper desktop setup, as well as something I can lug around the house, or take on vacation. Which is why I was leaning towards the Black Label to start with. Any other powerful amp/dac combos out there worth looking at?

I would rather have too much power, then not enough power. Currently running an old Rockford Fosgate Power T20001bd amp in my Mustang putting 2288 RMS watts (verified, according to its birth sheet :sunglasses:) to my 12" Sundown Audio U12 - 2ohm in a 3 sqft ported box tuned to 30hz. I guess you can say I like my bass, and in excessive quantities. :L3000:

Ya dude, its all about that bass! So much bass, were movin our diaphragms via sound waves of persuasion. But some say, once you graduate to a 20" sub, thats when it will remove them skirts for a peek. HAHA! I have a Kicker Competition 15" sub in my workshop, I had to turn it down, it was shaking all my tools off the wall hangers. I was like dang it, I just got this place organized, KICKER!!!!!!!!!! HAHA :joy:

Glad you are a fan of Tim Allen, he's awesome. He's got a new standup that I heard a bit of on the radio, don't know what its called yet, but I need to check it out. Yes, I did hear that the oldest kid on Home Improvement was involved in that affair. I never felt right about that kid, couldn't quite figure it out, until it was confirmed. Just something was off about the guy. Oh well, just goes to show, not all celebrities are good people.

I'll be honest, I've never used nor heard the IFI Black Label, but usually it seems to get high marks from 50% of the audiophiles, while the other 50% just say its ok. But all I can tell you is what I know from my own personal experience, and thats the S.M.S.L SP200, and the S.M.S.L M200 are an awesome combo, that work really well together. The SP200 AMP should provide you at least 900MW into 70-OHMS.

The problem with portable AMPS, is that they always seem to lack power to drive the biggest stuff. Take the Fiio A5 for example, the most its going to accomplish is 400MW into 70-OHMS. And if those cans of yours have 50mm drivers or larger, you can forget it. I am not sure if there is a portable amp capable of driving hard to drive cans to be honest. And even if there were, the battery probably wouldn't last past an hour of use lol.

The S.M.S.L SP200, and the S.M.S.L M200 are desktop units within an affordable price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back