The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 23, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #11,626 of 12,970
There is a resistor behind headphone jack, otherwise everything would die..i play everything loud - IEMs + headphones.

Agreed............it's highly unlikely you'll blow up a headphone using a speaker amp headphone jack. You'd fry your ears long before the headphone.............LOL.

I also run most of my headphones DIRECT from the speaker taps with no resistors and have done so for years now with nary a problem. Any of my headphones that have an XLR connector I drive this way (HE-6SE, HD800S, LCD2C, HE-400, Ether 2) and the others from the headphone jack (Pioneer SE Master 1, Denon LA7000, Denon MD2000).

Anyway, it's another option for those bassheads who are dissatisfied with their current amp/DAP. I stumbled into the vintage speaker amp world 6 years ago and now own 8 vintage-based systems that are ALL in use around the house and office and would never go back to dedicated headphone amps.

Oct 24, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #11,628 of 12,970
Hearing the TH-900's bass for the first time had me really tempted to save and splurge...Someone sold one recently for about $900, and it looked phenomenal. It just that those hinges really do give me pause, haha.
I'd agree - the hinges on the TH900 Mk2 don't spark a lot of confidence in me, to be honest. Like the old Denon AH-D7000, the hinge mechanism is a weak point. Still, I've had my AH-D2000 for about 8 years now, and it's still going strong. Treat your headphones with TLC, and they'll last. I can't say the same for the pads or the headband, though - those are usually the first to go.

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #11,629 of 12,970
I'd agree - the hinges on the TH900 Mk2 don't spark a lot of confidence in me, to be honest. Like the old Denon AH-D7000, the hinge mechanism is a weak point. Still, I've had my AH-D2000 for about 8 years now, and it's still going strong. Treat your headphones with TLC, and they'll last. I can't say the same for the pads or the headband, though - those are usually the first to go.

If only that sentement was just as warming for the JVC SZ series of cans. But the headbands were plastic with plastic hinges, and they never had a chance. You could handle them with care all you want, but eventually their gonna snap. I got really lucky and got at least 4-years out of mine before they snapped. And most people's cans snapped within the first year of use! The JVC company has just gone to crap like so many other's out there. The name once sparked quality, but now no longer.

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #11,631 of 12,970
Can't you use a HM5 replacement headband or something like that for the JVC SZ series?

Wish I could, but searched Amazon and couldn't find anything. And now that were in storm season, there is more important things to spend money on at this point.

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #11,632 of 12,970
If only that sentement was just as warming for the JVC SZ series of cans. But the headbands were plastic with plastic hinges, and they never had a chance. You could handle them with care all you want, but eventually their gonna snap. I got really lucky and got at least 4-years out of mine before they snapped. And most people's cans snapped within the first year of use! The JVC company has just gone to crap like so many other's out there. The name once sparked quality, but now no longer.
JVC still produces some headphones, but mostly in the low-end to mid-range segments. Quite a shame that, since they were once a bigger player in the industry.

Like a lot of bassheads, I'm hoping that the company would revive their "SZ" line of headphones.

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #11,633 of 12,970
I was looking at possibly picking up the Ultrasone 900's, but after seeing how cheap they used to sell for, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I should just get the Teak's and be done for a while, but at least with Amazon I can return something if I'm not 100% satisfied. From what I'm reading about the Z7M2's, they don't slam that hard for having 70mm drivers unless the volume is cranked super high, and that kind of defeats the purpose as I'm not looking to go deaf anytime soon, lol.

We definitely need more basshead options.

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #11,634 of 12,970
I was looking at possibly picking up the Ultrasone 900's, but after seeing how cheap they used to sell for, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I should just get the Teak's and be done for a while, but at least with Amazon I can return something if I'm not 100% satisfied. From what I'm reading about the Z7M2's, they don't slam that hard for having 70mm drivers unless the volume is cranked super high, and that kind of defeats the purpose as I'm not looking to go deaf anytime soon, lol.

The PRO 900 has a classic "v-shaped" sound; it has a strong bass punch, but the midrange is recessed and distant. The Teak has a less pronounced low-end region, but it is more capable in the technical sense. I'd easily take the Teak over the Ultrasone headphone.

The Z7M2 isn't a bass monster, though; it doesn't produce a huge bass slam. However, what it does well is produce lows that have very good texture, with decent articulation and layering. If you're looking for quantity, the Sony will not satisfy your requirements.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #11,635 of 12,970
The PRO 900 has a classic "v-shaped" sound; it has a strong bass punch, but the midrange is recessed and distant. The Teak has a less pronounced low-end region, but it is more capable in the technical sense. I'd easily take the Teak over the Ultrasone headphone.

The Z7M2 isn't a bass monster, though; it doesn't produce a huge bass slam. However, what it does well is produce lows that have very good texture, with decent articulation and layering. If you're looking for quantity, the Sony will not satisfy your requirements.
Almost bought a mint Z7M2 for USD 400.- this morning, but the lack of sub-bass and weird mids reported all over the www made me taking distance for the time being.

I am actually looking for a bass-head closed and comfy pair of headphone. They can be used. Budget, USD 500.- max. Idea anyone? Thank you.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #11,636 of 12,970
I agree, we need more basshead options. There are tons and tons of cans that are opened backed that provide ultimate levels of clarity. But there are so few closed back cans that would provide basshead levels of deliciousness.

At least my V-Moda LP2's are worth mentioning in that regard, especially once amped and equalized properly, really are strong performers. But I would agree, V-Moda cans are most certainly in the low end market for audiophile gear, but hey, at least they are affordable! You don't feel like you need to sell a kidney to buy a V-Moda can.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #11,637 of 12,970

You’re on the right path. Definitely skip the sonys, had the z7 2x stock then modded. Still not enough bass. 900’s werent that great either. Combined with the ear rape treble you can’t crank the volume up enough. The teak (haven’t heard the exact model) I believe is the same as the thx00, and those would be my recommendation if those are the only 3 in the race.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #11,638 of 12,970
The JVC company has just gone to crap like so many other's out there. The name once sparked quality, but now no longer.
Their current top studio headphone - JVC HA-MX100-Z is fantastic.
I own it, and it's absolutely bloody brilliant. High quality in all aspects.
Certainly not a basshead can though.

They also have a little-known flagship model JVC HA-WM90-B.
Looks a bit dumb though. Price is especially dumb. But that's pretty much in-line with most flagships.
Probably not a basshead can either.

JVC has definitley not gone to crap. They're just 'quiet' overseas. All the good stuff is in Japan, like usual.
Like the JVC HA-SD7 'Solidedge' and HA-SS01.
These are practically unheard of outside of Japan.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #11,639 of 12,970
Master and Dynamic Mh40 were 200aud recently, lots of bass. The headband design is robust, but not for big heads.

I was rocking MDR1a as daily, now not readily available, v shaped fun cans.

Custom one pro can give good bass and don't have as much of the Bayer treble spike that does not agree with me.

Bought a set of Th-x00, nice sound, more balanced than most of my other cans.

I've been impressed by X2HR as my only open back, they don't get a lot of play time, but love what they do for soundstage.

Oct 24, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #11,640 of 12,970

ive had the ultrasone pro 900 for nearly 8 years before going with emu teaks , pro 900 is hitting harder yes but thats pretty much it , teaks are clearly a better headphone overall with a better refined sound and better mids especially . having the emu teaks for 2-3 weeks , ive heard about the hp-3 from a friend and he was saying how good the bass was in them . was really curious so i sold those teaks to get it ... best decision of my life ! hp-3 bass is hitting like a truck! best represention of a v-shape sound ive ever heard to this day . good details , really good separation of instruments , good imaging . those vocals feels a bit distant sometimes , teaks has the better mid-range between the two i would say . but im not complaining , everything else is worth it 200% ,

my edm library has never been that exciting to listen to . i have that atticus coming in maybe 1 month or less to be a nice compliment to them with that beautiful mid-range that its known for :)

rnhp + d50s is a nice exciting combo that ive been enjoying alot with those hp-3 .. valhalla 2 is sleeping on my desk for now until atticus comes in .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back