Audio-gd R2R 11
Oct 11, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #436 of 770
Jumpers out is the slightly warmer setting I guess ? I received an R2R from with no jumpers in it last week.

Anyway, loving the presentation...the solidity of the low-end etc.

Wish there was an R2R between this one and the next level up (R28) around the mid-price of the 2..quite a jump to the next R2R DAC/Amp model on their site.
R1R11 do not need warm jumpers. Default works perfect. You only need to check whether you need a real "fixed" RCA output, it is not default jumper settings. Enjoy! :)

I agree, we need a mid-price R28 version. A full featured with the same quality headphone amp, but a single-ended version and without expensive stepped attenuator. It would bring price down to $550, I expect.

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #437 of 770
So "default neutral" is when the jumpers are inserted in, as I have no jumpers with the unit to A|B them.

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #438 of 770
So "default neutral" is when the jumpers are inserted in, as I have no jumpers with the unit to A|B them.
Default is neutral when no jumpers are inserted. But check for position of this jumper and adjust according to your needs:
N112810.jpg

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #439 of 770
Any of you guys get some head time with R1 balanced R2R DAC ? I'm looking to step up the R2R line with A-gd soon....love the sound...."dirty" objective measurements or not, from ASR...it just sounds so right.

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #440 of 770
Any of you guys get some head time with R1 balanced R2R DAC ? I'm looking to step up the R2R line with A-gd soon....love the sound...."dirty" objective measurements or not, from ASR...it just sounds so right.

Using some measurements to define audio equipment performance, is similar to using a tape measure to define how good looking someone is. To me, the two really don't compute. For example, vacuum tube vs solid state, Class A amp vs Class A/B amp, etc.

Just say a Monet is not as good as a photo, to someone's eye, that is certainly true. However, in terms of which one you don't mind looking at, or listening to, for a long time, I am not sure. This is Kingwa's(AGD's designer) differentiation between a R2R dac vs a ES chipped dac.

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #441 of 770
I had an R1 and currently using a R2R-11 with i2s input (factory mod), currently Singxer SU-1 is feeding the R2R-11. The R1 had the upgraded USB, and I probably could not have a preference USB vs. SU-1, but R1 with Gustard U16 offered a different flavor, more twords tube sound. The R1 will offer various presentations due to the filters, but if you like the R2R-11, then you may select an R1 filter similar, and they may then be too close to justify the R1 extra cost. If I upgrade, it will be further up the Audio-GD line, but my R2R-11 with well powered SU-1 is so good now, I do not feel the need to upgrade, somewhat due to limited time available for listening currently.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #442 of 770
Using some measurements to define audio equipment performance, is similar to using a tape measure to define how good looking someone is. To me, the two really don't compute.

This ought to be tattooed on the foreheads of the audio scientologists. This is the best, easiest refutation of their mindless approach that I have seen in such a terse and accessible form.

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #443 of 770
@motberg touched important point. I2S option for R2R11 it is probably what we need the most. It needs something between PC like SU-1 or DI-20, but for the cost conscious user there are USB-to-I2S converters with galvanic isolation and those generally work better than USB purifiers.

R1 still need galvanic isolator to get the best. If I were buying now, I would go with a modded R2R11.

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #444 of 770
@motberg touched important point. I2S option for R2R11 it is probably what we need the most. It needs something between PC like SU-1 or DI-20, but for the cost conscious user there are USB-to-I2S converters with galvanic isolation and those generally work better than USB purifiers.

R1 still need galvanic isolator to get the best. If I were buying now, I would go with a modded R2R11.

Good point. My I2S R2R11 is for sale for peanuts money,
It's easily a giant killer and was such a pleasure using with the DI20 and the rest of the DDC's.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-r2r11-230v-i2s-version.920390/

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #445 of 770

R2R11 up on ebay with i2S right now...

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #447 of 770
Monolith THX887 amp a very nice add-on amp that goes with R11...excellent transparancy, just got to get it matched to 3 levels of gain and balanced or SE for what it is feeding otherwise can sound a bit bitey or anemic...excellent with dynamics and testing planars as well.
More separation and dynamics that discrete SE output on R11.

EDIT : Monolith THX887 amp is actually quite dry and analytical with all but the warmest cans...so probably the antithesis of what people are looking in a balanced add-on amp...oh well...

Would love to test it with their balanced R2R R1 DAC ....going the separates route means I can add a Project Sunrise 3 tube amp to the mix with SS THX and R2R and still less than R28 price..

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #448 of 770
Can anyone share the full technical name of the jumpers you insert onto the 2 pins that make the DAC warmer or neutral... or where to buy them in Europe or aliXpress if possible...want to test the R11 with the DAC's warmer setting - as I did not receive them when I bought my unit.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #449 of 770
@Lohb. Go to the local computer store, ask to see a technician. The same jumpers are used in PCs.

BTW, The jumper for fixed/variable settings is different, it has a smaller pitch. It would be more difficult to find, I saw a matching size in old IDE and SATA drives for laptops.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #450 of 770
Had a set of 2 jumpers in the box with a portable amp that arrived luckily...I prefer the warmer settings now...but its not a major difference to my ears...it balances out the clinical THXAAA on top and meets in the middle...natural presentation/excellent separation and dynamics...wonder if R28 has much better discrete amp inside as the R11 is a bit collapsed in and crowded when A|B'ing against balanced amps...but a great all-rounder for the price anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back