Audio-gd R2R 11
Apr 10, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #467 of 776
DI20 if you have I2S connection. Since R2R 11 has USB and SPDIF(coax) connection only do suggest a USB reclock/regen device such as Uptone's ISO REGEN. Or if you have materials not larger than 24/192, via SPDIF thru Singxe F-1.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #469 of 776
What do you sueggest me to improve the sound of my chain? Surface book 3 - R11 - ZMF Aeolus
It is quite a list. :)

1. Lay down power cables close, the best is to tie cables together. Smaller surface area between power cables produce less EMI. Use ferrite clamps on power cables, clamped on both (not individual).

2. Do your laptop has 2-bolt power plug, so you can reverse position of live/neutral terminals? Try it, you will typically notice that touching metal parts give hears on your hand feeling some electrical leak. Chose a one position that is giving a smaller 'brushing'. It is usually linked to a better sound quality. Check it with all other devices disconnected from the laptop (R2R-11, external monitors, printers)

3. Check whether working on a battery (with power supply unplugged) gives better sound (probably not), it is fine. But if it is worse then EMI is present in a space, think about grounding both cases to one point, but it is not what I would recommend on the beginning.

4. Use a short USB cable, only as required, no excess lenght. Quality of a cable matters (double shielding), but not neccessary an audiophile type.

5. Use ferrite clamps on the USB cable. Ordinary clamps, not an expensive audiophile type like TDK. Attach one on the A-type plug side or two on both sides of the cable.

6. USB 3.x ports are very noisy. Your laptop has no USB 2.0 ports. Better use ports that have no UPB-PD (power delivery feature) or is disabled in BIOS.

7. Get a small USB 2.0 multiport hub, use it only for a DAC. Any multiport 2.0 hub. If you want to attach more devices (like keyboard/mouse), you must find one with multi-translator processing. In some cases using self-powered hub helps, but it is changing a flow of ground loops, it require more testing.

8. Avoid USB cleaners/isolators/regenerators. Not proven to be effective on modern USB receivers in general and can break the optimal USB transfer mode that Amanero is using. See #9 for explanation.

9. Current Amanero drivers use unusual bulk transfer mode, the same as during reading/writing to the external hard drives. I discovered it very recently when troubleshooting after being hit by a power surge. It requires more comment. A transfer mode is different in principle to the "isochronous asynchronous mode" commonly used for audio transfers, but in the end result it delivers data stream synchronising speed with a clock residing on the Amanero module. Therefore there is no jitter added to the interface. When Windows buit-in UAC2.0 drivers are used, transfer mode is changing to the same as other modern receivers. When testing both drivers, you will probably find no changes in SQ. This will be confirmation that USB transfer is not affected by a noise at all. When you hear a difference, report back. People frequently look at errors introduced to the data transfer as a cause. It is wrong, transmission errors happen very rare. It is ground loops entering a DAC by a 0V USB wire cause a harmful noise spreading inside a DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #471 of 776
I love the R2R-11, it is certainly an amazing value and a surprisingly good dacamp on its own merits even for many times the price.

But maybe it is not just R2R vs. Topping. Maybe Topping is crap :wink:

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #472 of 776
^^^Maybe, but there are fools around who claim that there is no fuse in Audio GD equipment. :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #473 of 776
Tested out Denafrips Ares II vs R11 and Holo Spring Level 3 Kitsune DAC recently....

R11 surprisingly is closer to Holo Spring Level 3 Kitsune (OS mode) with R11 on neutral jumper and high gain out.
The tone/temperature is almost identical on the 2.

Ares II is a tuning to itself, not really close to R11 or Kitsune.

R11 sounds just slightly dirtier in its imaging (USB in) vs Kitsune (USB in) which is a 2900 Euro DAC as the main drawback !!

I never even thought to test Kitsune vs R11, but going between NOS (warmish and smeared treble) and OS (neutral tone and bright treble) on Ares II could not bring it close to Kitsune's tonality - overstepping or understepping its naturalness.....then I thought I'd give R11 a try, ignoring the 10x price difference !

Was great to get some brief time with a near summit-fi Holo R2R DAC as a brain burn-in reference and then find R11 shares a similar tonality/style regardless of what the objective measurements say on it being 'trash' over on ASR.

Wish I picked up that custom i2S R11 one that another member sold last one year, I read i2S really cleans things up maybe more than coax in ?

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #474 of 776
Tested out Denafrips Ares II vs R11 and Holo Spring Level 3 Kitsune DAC recently....

R11 surprisingly is closer to Holo Spring Level 3 Kitsune (OS mode) with R11 on neutral jumper and high gain out.
The tone/temperature is almost identical on the 2.

Ares II is a tuning to itself, not really close to R11 or Kitsune.

R11 sounds just slightly dirtier in its imaging vs Kitsune which is a 2900 Euro DAC as the only noticeable drawback !!

I never even thought to test Kitsune vs R11, but going between NOS (warmish and smeared) and OS (neutal bright) on Ares II could not bring it close to Kitsune's tonality.....then I thought I'd give R11 a try, ignoring the 10x price difference !

Was great to get some brief time with a near summit-fi Holo R2R DAC as a brain burn-in reference and then find R11 shares a similar toanlity/style regardless of what the objective measurements say on it being 'trash' over on ASR.

Wish I picked up that custom i2S R11 one that another memeber sold last one year, I read i2S really cleans things up maybe more than coax in ?

I regret selling my I2S version, with the DI20 it was ultra natural and musical wow.. Either way I do enjoy my current ISO regen + stock EP R2R11.

May 7, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #475 of 776
I regret selling my I2S version, with the DI20 it was ultra natural and musical wow.. Either way I do enjoy my current ISO regen + stock EP R2R11.
Ah right, it was you that had that custom R11...have been trying to pick up a used R1 in UK to compare to R11...no luck as yet.

May 7, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #476 of 776
Ah right, it was you that had that custom R11...have been trying to pick up a used R1 in UK to compare to R11...no luck as yet.
There are head-fi members who had compared both, but I don't remember it was on this forum or South African one. It was actually R28, which is a combo R1+NFB-1AMP. A DAC portion in NOS mode was very close, but these people prefered OSx8 anyway, R2R-11 do not have. R28 was also definitely better in the amp section. You can go safetly with R1, I think.

If you want I2S, you can do a mod yourself using one of the HDMI upgrade module from Audio GD. A standard one without galvanic isolator was probably used, it can be ordered separately, you have to ask.

I2S mod makes lot of sense. Sound quality depends on the source, a clock comes from. DI-20 is ideal as there is no PLL reclocking on the USB input, I2S output is driven from a pair of DI-20 internal oscilators.

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #477 of 776

Users who are viewing this thread

Back