Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 13, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #39,991 of 75,342
I know that this is a serious subject and I feel sympathy for the sufferers, but isn't it taking the thread too far off topic?
No offence intended and feel free to shout me down (not too loudly, though! :wink:).
It's a relevant reminder to everyone that enjoys music so close to their ears. To bring it back to topic though...I recently got my first pair of Vidos and have been seriously enjoying them. Continuing my recabling adventure, I recabled my pair with a old cable I never use. It was so satisfying cutting off the memory wire hooks. I'm currently ordering the gaudiest cable I can find. Going to make myself some jewelery Vidos.
15500686228423246895626172572912.jpg

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #39,992 of 75,342
This is a sort of PSA post:

Protect your hearing guys. Don't listen too loud. Better to be safe than have to deal with hearing issues.

I say this because I recently developed Tinnitus in my left ear. I'm not sure if it was because I was listening to music too loudly (I was at that time, even if just for 5 minutes) or the ear infection I had. But for the past 3 days I've been dealing with a high pitch ringing in my left ear. It's not pleasant but I'm trying to deal with it and look for possible ways to manage/reduce it or hopefully get rid of it.

Another possibility is I got it through taking medication (I was on Amoxicillin antibiotics for strep throat) as many are ototoxic and in a small minority of cases can cause hearing and balance issues by effecting the ears. So just beware of that too.

So right now I'm staying clear of listening to my buds for a few weeks and will report back soon and ease myself back into listening at low-moderate volumes.

But please for everyones sake keep your ears safe, you've no idea how nice it is to hear crystal clear, and in silence and we take our ears for granted sometimes (at least I did!). Take care guys!
Tks Sean, for your words! I'll be more careful with the volume.
I hope you get better soon!

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #39,994 of 75,342
had a productive day as I made a 150 ohm MX500 earbud and recabled a couple of Sony Ericsson MH300

20190213_185608[1].jpg

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #39,995 of 75,342
Sabia V6 are back for sale by the same eBay seller as the Kubes. He's got standard, Silver plated cable and mmcx versions. I said I wasn't going to buy anymore... I lied.

mmcx version - cool! I'm not going to buy anymore. I hope I'm not lying lol

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #39,997 of 75,342
I'm enjoying zen l today with my fiio q5 for some black metal. Seem a nice match. Zens seem to like power
What other iems would you people rec for black metal?

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #40,000 of 75,342
Looks great! How is mh300? I think it's one of couple Sony ericsson what I haven't tried
The MH300 is my favourite of them all, great sound, not your usual bassy Sony sound, good soundstage and as can be had for around £3 well worth it. The easiest to recable by far as the shell totally opens up and the drivers are held in by a rubber ring.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #40,002 of 75,342
The MH300 is my favourite of them all, great sound, not your usual bassy Sony sound, good soundstage and as can be had for around £3 well worth it. The easiest to recable by far as the shell totally opens up and the drivers are held in by a rubber ring.
Looks that I just found new recabling project target!

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #40,003 of 75,342
How about the FAAEAL Snow Lotus 1.0+?

I've been pretty intrigued by it especially the commemorative edition, but already have too many earbuds under that price range...

You can also try the Kube V1 or V2 from an Indonesia seller on eBay.
Sure. Let me have a look. How is the Sound signature of these earbuds? Darker and Bassy with smooth treble? I saw there is Snow Lotus 1 and 2.0 is also there?

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #40,004 of 75,342
Sure. Let me have a look. How is the Sound signature of these earbuds? Darker and Bassy with smooth treble? I saw there is Snow Lotus 1 and 2.0 is also there?
The SLs and Kubes don't have mics.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #40,005 of 75,342
years of attending rock concerts during the 80s and early 90s as well as playing in bands that rehearsed too loud and not wearing plugs has left me with significant tinnitus in probably both ears. it subsides at times and increases with tension but it's always there. A fairly loud high pitched constant sine wave. I'm pretty sure it will be my constant companion for the rest of my days...
Same here. Left ear only. Exacerbated in the early 90's when a plane I was on was not decompressed and they opened the plane door at the terminal. Both ears were seriously pressure slammed but my right ear recovered. High-pitched ringing is there all the time, but I've just learned to acknowledge that it is what it is. Maybe someday before we give up the ghost they will come up with a cure.

Edit: removed transport provider name.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back