Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 26, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #41,821 of 75,158
Really nice that you meet the Panda, this creature is know to hide himself very well.

In another hand, man, OTTO, do you plan to buy a portable DAC-AMP or a DAP one day?? Dragonfly isn't very powerfull, I guess its a little more powerfull than Audirect beam....but still, i'm an ultimate believer that its better to have too much (stable) power than just enough when it come to earbuds or headphones. I push technoidFR to try something else than its phone and I think it kinda change his life.
I do have the FiiO Montblanc E12 amp...and the Shanling M0 low-output-impedance player...and for my computer I have the Schiit Fulla dongle amp. The day will come when I buy a dap...I really love the convenience of my iPhone.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #41,822 of 75,158
I do have the FiiO Montblanc E12 amp...and the Shanling M0 low-output player...and for my computer I have the Schiit Fulla dongle amp.
Oh, nice, the Fulla should do with most earbuds then. Was thinking you just have the Dragonfly.

And for the strange silicone tips, i laugh when I see it and never use it....it make no sens to me, but perhaps i'm wrong. I use donut. Always.

EDIT: THANKS OTTO!!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #41,823 of 75,158
I use donut. Always.

I am not that advanced yet. Initially, I didn't use any covers, then I tried the donuts with some, recently I found the VE EX pack and started playing around with the full foams.

So far, I have shredded about 50% of all covers when
pulling them over. It reminds me of trying to make my first bubbles with chewing gum or my first rollies with Dutch halfzware tobacco (as a teenager).

I hope practice will make perfect.

P.S. As to Smabat...they claim their included cable ruins the earpieces' connectors. This morning, I tried to connect an MMCX cable to a premium earphone...and no peep came out of the earpieces. Turns out everything was so tight that I had to use a bit of force. However, these MMCX connectors look much sturdier than the ones in the Smabat or Tinaudio T2. There must be different grades...

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #41,824 of 75,158

I am not that advanced yet. Initially, I didn't use any covers, then I tried the donuts with some, recently I found the VE EX pack and started playing around with the full foams.

So far, I have shredded about 50% of all covers when
pulling them over. It reminds me of trying to make my first bubbles with chewing gum or my first rollies with Dutch halfzware tobacco (as a teenager).

I hope practice will make perfect.

You have to take your time... it takes me 10 to 20 minutes to do a pair.. but I don't ruin any.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #41,825 of 75,158
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #41,826 of 75,158
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #41,827 of 75,158
I like the idea of the donut foams and for some earbuds they really make a pleasant difference to tweaking/refining the signature...but I hate how impractical they are. At first when they're still a bit tight it's fine, but as they become stretched it's so heard to keep them centred on the bud, especially as they tend to move when placing the buds in my ears.

i got this problem everytime, until i found a solution, put a rubber ring on the buds first, then wrap it with donut foam. Full foam adding bass but sounds bloated, not nice clean bass for me

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #41,828 of 75,158
At the begining, it was first impressions, I was thinking it was the cable and yeah, it was less problematic, just one side and now that I test with all my cable I conclude its worst and not possible to repair. Hum, yeah replacement....I understandits first batch and might be solve in next one. They sound fabulous (not metallic at all LOL and i enjoy Bach cello sonata with it ALOT:wink:)
As said, Smabat blamed the included cable...and they claim the issue has been fixed. In the meantime, I followed my co-bloggers' idea of "Audio P*rn for the Masses" and rush poor Jim for help...you find some detailed Smabat photography at the usual location.

IMG_0426.jpeg

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #41,829 of 75,158
Posted this before but anyone with mmcx issue on ST-10 can contact Smabat directly for an exchange: lh@smabat.com

Apr 27, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #41,830 of 75,158
Apr 27, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #41,832 of 75,158
Apr 27, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #41,833 of 75,158
@HungryPanda - For the high impedance (400Ω - 600Ω) earbuds that you've assembled, which types of shells did you use?

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #41,835 of 75,158
@DBaldock9 these are them...400 on top, 600 on bottom... Monk type shells on both.

10277590.jpg
Could I please get some ohmology lessons? Beyerdynamic sell some cans with different impedance. As a rule of thumb, the higher the impedance, the better the sound. But why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back