Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Mar 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3,228 of 5,854
Hi,
Quote:
I decided to try and sell my HD650's for $450 (here in Canada).
I included spare parts with it (brand new cable, 1 capsule & 2 earpads).

Pending on the sale, I will likely buy the HD800 or go for the HE-500 (if I can find them - doesn't seem to be any in Canada).

I hope when I do get the pricier headphones it is worth it. 

I had both HD800 and HE-500 here. They are both fine headphones, but to my ears and head very different from each other.

The HE-500 you must try and make sure the one you get is pukka. Many like it, I could not get past the lack of comfort wearing them.

The HD-800 I can recommend more, but for my own coin, with my fav music and in me own setup I liked the AKG K701 and some antique electrostatic headphones I picked up for next to nothing at a charity shop better.

You absolutely have to listen first. Don't sell your current cans, don't order replacements before you cop a good feel.

Cheerio Rich 

PS, I do have a thread where I discuss my experiences, but I do not want to hijack this thread

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #3,229 of 5,854
Mar 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #3,230 of 5,854
I think your best bet would be either the HD600/HD650 with amp.  If I planned to have only ONE headphone at my disposal, I would not pick the HE400.  I may pick the HE500 if you could spring for that plus amp.  But I think it's a no brainer for me to suggest that a moderately priced amp plus the HD600 makes for an excellent all-around choice for many years of listening.  It adheres to the sonic character you're looking for.  I would pick the HD600 (not the 650) as my singular headphone.  The HD650 is a warmer, lusher headphone, but it may not be as good a single reference.  I prefer the HD650 for what it does, but only in conjunction with other headphones.  If I could only have one headphone at my disposal and I had a price point of $500, the HD600 would be it.

David, I'm in something of the same boat as the OP, looking to upgrade and generally casting about in the $400ish space (although that's not necessarily a hard cap).

I had the chance to spend a few hours at home with a pair of HE-400s. I thought they were quite detailed, imaged beautifully, and had a realistic soundstage. I did notice a little weakness in the mids—a little "flat" sounding, there, versus "lively"— but the treble spike others have described may have suited my middle-aged ears quite well. Basically, I liked them quite a bit, but would appreciate your expert perspective before I make the jump.

So, imaging, space, detail, response...if those are my criteria, in something resembling priority order, are the 400s a good choice, or would you recommend something else in the same general price range, or a little higher?

Right now I'm using an Audio-GD NFB-12 as my DAC/amp. To complete the picture, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #3,231 of 5,854
Quote:

I decided to try and sell my HD650's for $450 (here in Canada).
I included spare parts with it (brand new cable, 1 capsule & 2 earpads).

Pending on the sale, I will likely buy the HD800 or go for the HE-500 (if I can find them - doesn't seem to be any in Canada).

I hope when I do get the pricier headphones it is worth it. 

Just buy the HE500 from the manufacturer's website (head-direct), they ship to Canada without any import fees / taxes.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3,232 of 5,854
Quote:
Hi,

I fully agree, except on "affordable" well over grand in the UK, I can buy a decent speaker based system at Richer Sounds for less! 

I managed to pick up a pair of 40 Years old (or thereabouts) electrostatic headphones for 20 squid at the charity shop, these are nearly as good as the HD800 all around (HD800 go a trifle louder on my headamp) and they have a transparency and non-mechanical the HD800's lack the last 30% or so off. I'm chuffed to buggery with that purchase!

Cheers Rich

Nice one, sounds like you got a bargain there!
Yup, good ole Richer sounds. Got my first speaker set up there myself. Mission floor standers and cambridge audio amp... Wish I still had them actually.

As a fellow Englishman I can translate the above phrase for our transatlantic comrades.

It basically means "I'm very pleased with my purchase" And in no way does it refer to being excited about the act of "Buggery"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggery_Act_1533

bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #3,233 of 5,854
Quote:
Just buy the HE500 from the manufacturer's website (head-direct), they ship to Canada without any import fees / taxes.

How do they get past customs without fees?

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #3,234 of 5,854
They claim low values, and they can because they are the direct manufacturer so if something gets lost it doesn't really cost them much. They aren't losing a $800 headphone, they are losing a $100-200 headphone at their cost.

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #3,235 of 5,854
Quote:
They claim low values, and they can because they are the direct manufacturer so if something gets lost it doesn't really cost them much. They aren't losing a $800 headphone, they are losing a $100-200 headphone at their cost.

How could something (the HE500) that costs Hifiman that little ( in parts and labor I assume) sound so miraculous (to me at least)? Yep, I would classify that as a miracle. Thanks Fang.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #3,236 of 5,854
Quote:
There is a new electrostatic in the works.  I don't know about pricing or release date.  What I do know is that if Fang and his team address the issues which plagued the original Jades, they will have something that competes nicely with the SR009 and Orpheus.  I intend to acquire this headphone and have it be the final headphone which I will review for several years. :)

So. Mr. Fang is working on a phone above the he6? I heard that rumor also..but thought it was a hoax..
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #3,237 of 5,854
Quote:
How could something (the HE500) that costs Hifiman that little ( in parts and labor I assume) sound so miraculous (to me at least)? Yep, I would classify that as a miracle. Thanks Fang.

If u only knew what german or US premium brands earn per headphone.. its at least same but am sure its more!! U can count on that...its in all premium markets..the higher the price level..the higher the profits per item.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3,238 of 5,854
Quote:
David, I'm in something of the same boat as the OP, looking to upgrade and generally casting about in the $400ish space (although that's not necessarily a hard cap).

I had the chance to spend a few hours at home with a pair of HE-400s. I thought they were quite detailed, imaged beautifully, and had a realistic soundstage. I did notice a little weakness in the mids—a little "flat" sounding, there, versus "lively"— but the treble spike others have described may have suited my middle-aged ears quite well. Basically, I liked them quite a bit, but would appreciate your expert perspective before I make the jump.

So, imaging, space, detail, response...if those are my criteria, in something resembling priority order, are the 400s a good choice, or would you recommend something else in the same general price range, or a little higher?

Right now I'm using an Audio-GD NFB-12 as my DAC/amp. To complete the picture, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hmmm, if you found the HE-400 kinda weak, it may be best for you to try a different model.  I still maintain the HD600 is among the best values at that price point.  It has a very different sound from the HE-400, excels over it in tone I feel, fails to live up to the detail, speed and airiness.  I prefer the HD600 overall by a little.
Quote:
So. Mr. Fang is working on a phone above the he6? I heard that rumor also..but thought it was a hoax..
biggrin.gif

Well, its going to be a different market.  The Jade sounds better to me than the HE-6, and I think Fang is involved in creating a headphone that will improve what was wrong with the Jade (namely its fragility).  :)

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #3,239 of 5,854
Hi sir Mister Mahler, very nice and extensive reviews out there. But i have this in my mind. I know that Grado PS500 is not a flagship headphone, but closer to it I think, care enough to comment about it, or maybe you already made reviews with this can but haven't yet browse them. Are they good in your opinion and at par with other high end grados or shall i say LCD 2/3. because im very much interested to know more about the ps500. I heard great reviews about it. another thing, its probably the most logical headphone that i can buy next to rs1. Or maybe if my wallet permits(as you have said before), the LCD2.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #3,240 of 5,854
I am wondering something.... In video, if we talk about games, we are almost at the step where you cant say real from non real image (if prerendered ofc). How far are we in that in audio?
I have the HE-400 and while i do notice its unnatural, its still amazing for the untrained ear.

I wonder how far further we can take this audio quest. ( i mean "We" as humans).
On a side note i will be probably getting a HD600 after i got a shot at testing them.
This review is really great, but my dreamed shattered when i saw the prices for the higher end HPs in my country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back