Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Mar 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,214 of 5,854
Quote:
Great amp you just don't like them it happens I never liked the hd650 when it was everyone's favorite I listened to Nora jones last night if she a
Was any closer she would be in my lap i wish

LOL everyone does I think. She's a local gal... went to Dallas Arts Magnet with a bunch of my pals funnily enough. It must have felt pretty sweet to perform at the Meyerson next door once her album took off. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #3,215 of 5,854
Quote:

LOL everyone does I think. She's a local gal... went to Dallas Arts Magnet with a bunch of my pals funnily enough. It must have felt pretty sweet to perform at the Meyerson next door once her album took off. 

Yup.  I was friends with the drummer at UNT who she was dating (and dumped) when she left for New York.  I seem to remember he got over it (some time around my 3rd or 4th year).

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #3,216 of 5,854
I bought the PS500 today! I'm enjoying the headphones as I type. David thanks again for putting this thread together, it made the process of selecting a pair quick for me. I feel these are the best cans for me under $1000. I'm in the process of searching for a portable amp now. :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3,217 of 5,854
Quote:
I bought the PS500 today! I'm enjoying the headphones as I type. David thanks again for putting this thread together, it made the process of selecting a pair quick for me. I feel these are the best cans for me under $1000. I'm in the process of searching for a portable amp now. :)

Cool... time for a little Grado love around here. :wink:

Now you should take a photo of them and use as your avatar!

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #3,218 of 5,854
MacedonianHero: Sorry, that's not so.  /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After a brief reflection of your exhaustive, nearly overwhelming combination of both subjective and objective data refuting my point, I have no choice but to recant my position and agree with you. 
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #3,219 of 5,854
Anyone have more details on the new Electrostats coming?  Expected dates, how much? etc.?  Heh..and how quickly can David get a review up on them, assuming they are flagship worthy...
L3000.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #3,220 of 5,854
jazzerdave brought over some Koss ESP/950 electrostats the other day. Not flagship worthy (they felt like a Fisher-Price "My First HeadFone" type of thing), but if Dave finds a viable way to connect them to a serious electrostat amp they might move up a few notches....? 

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #3,221 of 5,854
Quote:
Anyone have more details on the new Electrostats coming?  Expected dates, how much? etc.?  Heh..and how quickly can David get a review up on them, assuming they are flagship worthy...
L3000.gif

I haven't been keeping up with this thread lately, but what advantage does an Electrostat have over a planar magnetic (other than physical mass and weight)? I think Tyll mentioned that planar magnetics usually have a better bass response. If the benefits of an Electrostat over a planar magnetic are pretty minimal, is it worth the cost to the maker and the consumer to invest in an Electrostat? I have heard the SR-007 MKI and I really really really liked it over the LCD-2; the price, on the other hand, for the headphone itself and the dedicated Electrostat amp...........eh, maybe not so much.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #3,222 of 5,854
I guess in a word 'transparency'.  I have not heard anything that can come close to electrostats WRT this attribute.  Granted I am a neophyte compared to others here and that is why I seek out more knowledgeable people and ask questions.  In addition to this auditioning with said people around is also very helpfully.

I am hoping that the new stats are competitively priced and will give existing phones a run for thier money.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #3,223 of 5,854
Hi,

Quote:
Higher-end electrostats aside, I just haven't heard a better headphone than the HD800 as of this point in time. It's comfortable, huge soundstage, and amazingly transparent. Just needs the right source/amp combination and it's pretty much unbeatable & fairly affordable too.

I fully agree, except on "affordable" well over grand in the UK, I can buy a decent speaker based system at Richer Sounds for less! 

I managed to pick up a pair of 40 Years old (or thereabouts) electrostatic headphones for 20 squid at the charity shop, these are nearly as good as the HD800 all around (HD800 go a trifle louder on my headamp) and they have a transparency and non-mechanical the HD800's lack the last 30% or so off. I'm chuffed to buggery with that purchase!

Cheers Rich

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #3,224 of 5,854
Quote:
I just replaced all parts on my HD650 thinking it was worth it because I had one of the world's best headphones... then I read this post!   doh!
size]

Ranked 20th?!  
size]

If it had of at least been in the top 10, I could live with that... but to know there are 19 other headphones better than what I have - and maybe some cheaper too (haven't price checked them yet) - that is just a tough pill to swallow.

Do I sell my HD650's and buy something else?  
I am loyal to my family, friends, wife etc - I would never think about upgrading them (really lol)
But headphones - not so much...

Anyone care to offer some sage advice?  Ditch the HD650's and get something else or stick it out with them??

My budget about $750

I decided to try and sell my HD650's for $450 (here in Canada).
I included spare parts with it (brand new cable, 1 capsule & 2 earpads).

Pending on the sale, I will likely buy the HD800 or go for the HE-500 (if I can find them - doesn't seem to be any in Canada).

I hope when I do get the pricier headphones it is worth it. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #3,225 of 5,854
Quote:

I decided to try and sell my HD650's for $450 (here in Canada).
I included spare parts with it (brand new cable, 1 capsule & 2 earpads).

Pending on the sale, I will likely buy the HD800 or go for the HE-500 (if I can find them - doesn't seem to be any in Canada).

I hope when I do get the pricier headphones it is worth it. 

off the top of my head, there are plenty of shops that sell hd800 and he500 in canada
bay bloor radio, headfoneshop in toronto, headphone bar in vancouver

best to try the headphones out before selling your 650 though, really depends on sound signature preference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back