Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #3,196 of 5,854
It's a single ended (normal) amplifier, no special connection required.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #3,197 of 5,854

Having made many DIY cables, I can confirm that they can take a lot of time.  I've done some custom jobs that don't take much time at all and some that took me most of a weekend to complete.  If I were to sell them and charge my hourly rate for contract work (in my profession) and the full cost of materials, I could easily end up with a $400 cable.  I've never actually charged more than the cost of parts for any of my work and have done some custom work pro bono.  

Whether or not custom cables make a difference in sound, they certainly can reduce microphonics, improve aesthetics, and give more options for connectivity (like Maxvla uses for balanced amps).  I'd also suggest spending the money on improvements elsewhere in the chain first unless you've already got a balanced amp you'll be using or just can't stand a cable that's too long or short.

Ok, now I realized and fully understand that the terms "Balance" for both cable and amp is that the connector is using XLR type so it is not an RCA cable or the normal 3.5mm pin.

Which means if it is balance then there is no way to use the balanced gear outdoor because it is not portable.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,198 of 5,854
There are portable balanced amplifiers, but the E11 is not one.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #3,199 of 5,854
There are portable balanced amplifiers, but the E11 is not one.

is there any example for the one that is good entry level balanced amp ?

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #3,200 of 5,854
Quote:
is there any example for the one that is good entry level balanced amp ?

I wouldn't say they're exactly cheap, but these are the "cheapest" balanced amps I can think of:

The Ray Samuels audio Protector $475

iBasso PB2 $325

Keep in mind that to use these amps to their full potential, you'll need a balanced cable and a balanced source like the iBasso DB2 $299.  As far as I can tell, you're looking at more than $600 plus the cost of cables to get into a balanced setup.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #3,201 of 5,854
I just replaced all parts on my HD650 thinking it was worth it because I had one of the world's best headphones... then I read this post!   doh!
size]

Ranked 20th?!  
size]

If it had of at least been in the top 10, I could live with that... but to know there are 19 other headphones better than what I have - and maybe some cheaper too (haven't price checked them yet) - that is just a tough pill to swallow.

Do I sell my HD650's and buy something else?  
I am loyal to my family, friends, wife etc - I would never think about upgrading them (really lol)
But headphones - not so much...

Anyone care to offer some sage advice?  Ditch the HD650's and get something else or stick it out with them??

My budget about $750

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #3,203 of 5,854
Quote:
I just replaced all parts on my HD650 thinking it was worth it because I had one of the world's best headphones... then I read this post!   doh!
size]

Ranked 20th?!  
size]

If it had of at least been in the top 10, I could live with that... but to know there are 19 other headphones better than what I have - and maybe some cheaper too (haven't price checked them yet) - that is just a tough pill to swallow.

Do I sell my HD650's and buy something else?  
I am loyal to my family, friends, wife etc - I would never think about upgrading them (really lol)
But headphones - not so much...

Anyone care to offer some sage advice?  Ditch the HD650's and get something else or stick it out with them??

My budget about $750

Try this (original post few pages back): http://www.head-fi.org/attachments/1057

I would go for Hifiman HE-500 personally...

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #3,206 of 5,854
Quote:

Unless you are me. 
tongue.gif

What do you dislike about HE-500? I still haven't managed to give it a listen, just curious...

EDIT: Ah, I see you've had K1000 as well! How do they compare with HD800? o_O

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #3,207 of 5,854
Quote:

What do you dislike about HE-500? I still haven't managed to give it a listen, just curious...

I think it's the overall sound signature of the current lineup of Hifimans. Just not my cup of tea. Agreed that the bass goes deep & details are nicely articulated at this price point but my main issue is the distant/recessed-sounding midrange. It's as if the singers are standing behind a curtain... the overall presentation just doesn't "gel" like other headphones. I found it too frustrating to deal with. Always straining to get "the right sound" instead of sitting back and enjoying the music. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #3,208 of 5,854
Quote:

I think it's the overall sound signature of the current lineup of Hifimans. Just not my cup of tea. Agreed that the bass goes deep & details are nicely articulated at this price point but my main issue is the distant/recessed-sounding midrange. It's as if the singers are standing behind a curtain... the overall presentation just doesn't "gel" like other headphones. I found it too frustrating to deal with. Always straining to get "the right sound" instead of sitting back and enjoying the music. 

Thank you... Could you please also say something about K1000 vs HD800 and why do you prefer Senns?

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3,209 of 5,854
Quote:

Thank you... Could you please also say something about K1000 vs HD800 and why do you prefer Senns?

K1000's were fun. I owned them with an RKV Audiovalve amp. Great pairing which blessed the sometimes strident K1000 with softer, airier highs. But today there are many more tube/speaker amps to choose from and several would likely fit the bill. Really there's nothing like the K1000... can't compare it to anything else or the HD800 because memory doesn't serve after 8 years of selling them. Just have to try it yourself if you are curious. :)

Higher-end electrostats aside, I just haven't heard a better headphone than the HD800 as of this point in time. It's comfortable, huge soundstage, and amazingly transparent. Just needs the right source/amp combination and it's pretty much unbeatable & fairly affordable too.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3,210 of 5,854
HD 650 vs HE500

I sold my hd650 because there was nothing that they could do that the he500 could not equal or do better, which isn't too surprising considering the difference in price $400 vs $700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back