Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Feb 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2,686 of 5,854
Quote:
Are LCD-3 with their thinner membrane more prone to this than LCD-2, as despite bigger LCD-2 customer base I haven't seen many reports on their drivers failures, esp. for 2.2?

i'm not sure, but potentially I would say yes.
Quote:
Good point. I'm a little concerned about this possibly happening to my 2.2's. Also, would it be a case of; If its going to fail, it will happen in the first week or two like most components. Or are all orthos drivers potential time bombs..? 

I had about 150 hours on my LCD-3 if that's any help.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2,687 of 5,854
Quote:

That may seem a lot, but I suppose in the lifespan of the headphone its still very early days.. Oh well if they go, they go. Nothing you can do about it.  

Apart from this
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,688 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:
As someone in the market for a pair of orthodynamics, I would be grateful if you (or anyone) could provide more information on said issue!

in my experience, and from talking with others who have experienced what i have experienced with the LCD-3, complete driver failure seems to occur more frequently with planar magnetic than with standard dynamic transducers.  it has nothing to do with amplification or misuse or dc offset etc.  the drivers have a higher rate of just becoming mute.  i'm not sure what the reason is at this time and what the percentage is.  
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how is the updated review on the Sony Qualia with the small headband coming along?

i haven't begun redrafting this.  it definitely improves the sound however.  on the other hand, it doesn't make me suddenly feel that the qualia is the world's best headphone..... it probably still won't be in the top 20 i think, though we will see.

What's the warranty on the Audeze's? Paying $2000 for a headphone to have it fail, and having a higher chance of failing by nature, doesn't sound very reassuring to me.

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,691 of 5,854
I have been owning hesdphones since i am 28.. I mean good phones..not those 40 euro buds..and i never ever had any problems with them..wait thats not true..i broke the cable on my qjays..but that was because i accidentely stood onit while standing up..oops...that cable broke from the buds...so i think when u treat them as ur babies they dont broke..or. Maybe i am just a lucky basterd..i did have a smoking amp once though... 
biggrin.gif
 It went poof in smokes..selfcombustion action! 
eek.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2,692 of 5,854
Quote:
i'm not sure, but potentially I would say yes.

That's only half a month if you love the headphones and listen to it 10 hours per day!

I've had my HE500s for oh maybe 1.5 months and I probably have well over 500 hours of playback time on it now (often use it to play quiet ambient music at night, in addition to head time).

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #2,693 of 5,854
Quote:
That's only half a month if you love the headphones and listen to it 10 hours per day!

I've had my HE500s for oh maybe 1.5 months and I probably have well over 500 hours of playback time on it now (often use it to play quiet ambient music at night, in addition to head time).

Yeah me too..i use my he500 for at least 4 hours a day at night before i go to bed around 3-4 am every day. I listen to it in my dark living room..no lights..just darkness and my music..u wont believe how that relaxes me! 
wink.gif
 Does this mean i am addicted ? 
eek.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2,694 of 5,854
Quote:

I love my PS1000 so much, that i listen to them 22 hours a day, the remaining 2 hours i use them as dumbells to train my beautyfull body
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,695 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:

I love my PS1000 so much, that i listen to them 22 hours a day, the remaining 2 hours i use them as dumbells to train my beautyfull body
tongue.gif

How do you guys listen for so long(I end up falling asleep)? I listen to 30 minutes to 1 hour a night, just music and 3-4 hours in the day, while on the computer.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2,696 of 5,854
(fyi....my LCD-2 Rev 2 headphones were manufactured Oct 2011)

Audez'e Support, Feb 01 17:02 (PST):
Hello John,
I am glad you asked this. Revisions 3, 4, and 5 do not exist. Some assume that the change in connectors or wood option means it is a new revision. However, we have only had the original LCD-2 driver and now the Revision 2 driver. Rest assured, you have the latest driver already in your headphones.
Thank you very much,
Audez'e Support

john white, Feb 01 16:51 (PST):
a further question.....in the head-fi forum, i see the LCD-2 Rev 2 referred to as Rev 2.1 // Rev 2.2 // Rev 2.3 // Rev 2.4 and Rev 2.5
Question #1- which revision 2 do i have.
Question #2- what are the differences between 2.1/2.2/2.3 etc....
Question #3- are there any upgrades that are possible or worth doing to the headphones i own ?

thanks

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #2,698 of 5,854
Quote:
How do you guys listen for so long(I end up falling asleep)? I listen to 30 minutes to 1 hour a night, just music and 3-4 hours in the day, while on the computer.

Are you kidding? If I don't get the headphones off by 10:00pm or so, I'll be listening to music until the wee hours of the morning.

Turn in your Head-Fi badge on your way out!

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #2,699 of 5,854
DavidMahler,

This thread has been quite extraordinary, thanks so much for putting in the time and effort to do all of this work and to respond to so many people. I'm a pianist and a lover of classical music as well. I've been content with the HD 800's so far. I plan on buying a pair of the SR-009's sometime this year. After hearing them last week paired with a very good electrostatic amp, the Cavalli Liquid Lightning, I was amazed with their transparency. I'm just curious to know of your thoughts about the SR-009 compared to the Orpheus. I haven't heard the Orpheus, but I have heard great speaker systems, and even better, live orchestras and performers performing great works of music. What are the similarities and differences of the SR-009 and Orpheus?

Thanks

Jacks

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #2,700 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:

Are you kidding? If I don't get the headphones off by 10:00pm or so, I'll be listening to music until the wee hours of the morning.

Turn in your Head-Fi badge on your way out!

During 2012, my listening sessions typically ran from 2300 hours to sunrise...0800 if things were
tongue_smile.gif
 really cookin'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back