Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jan 31, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #2,671 of 5,854
Quote:
Dt250 more natural then he6 or the hd650... Really?mmmm  May i ask what amp ur using as that amp must be an amp made in heaven if he makes the dt250 more balanced (natural) then the ones u mentioned
wink.gif

Very simple amp that just happens to mate well with them is the jdslabs O2. Thats the 250 ohm dt250 by the way. The 80 ohm model is not in the same league as those open cans. With almost every genre thrown at it, the dt250-250 is just better than the hd600 or 650 out of basic amps like the o2. The he6 I tried was driven out of an audiolab amp's speaker taps by the way.
Quote:
That's quite an awesome claim!

L3000.gif

I wouldn't believe it myself if I read my comment without having heard the cans... But in the end, every single headphone I've ever owned always went for sale in a short time due to having problems that annoyed me in one way or the other. The dt250-250 is the first pair that just works with everything thrown at it and Ive had them longer now than any other headphone I have ever owned while being on headfi.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,674 of 5,854
Quote:
Very simple amp that just happens to mate well with them is the jdslabs O2. Thats the 250 ohm dt250 by the way. The 80 ohm model is not in the same league as those open cans. With almost every genre thrown at it, the dt250-250 is just better than the hd600 or 650 out of basic amps like the o2. The he6 I tried was driven out of an audiolab amp's speaker taps by the way.
I wouldn't believe it myself if I read my comment without having heard the cans... But in the end, every single headphone I've ever owned always went for sale in a short time due to having problems that annoyed me in one way or the other. The dt250-250 is the first pair that just works with everything thrown at it and Ive had them longer now than any other headphone I have ever owned while being on headfi.

I believe u..if ur ears tell u they are better..then they are for u.. As i once said.. Listening is very personal.. And i am glad u love them so much.. As its all about listening pleasure what we are here for... And for u its the dt250-250 that gives it to u 
L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2,676 of 5,854
Quote:

Interesting, I owned both 80 and 250Ohm and didn't find them drastically different, both were quite veiled and rolled off at the top.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #2,680 of 5,854
Quote:
Interesting, I owned both 80 and 250Ohm and didn't find them drastically different, both were quite veiled and rolled off at the top.

I've owned 2 dt250-250s and one 80 ohm one. The 2 250 ohm ones are consistently better cans. They sound extended on top. Not bright but extended unlike the rolled off 80 ohm model. Bass is also much tighter on the 250 ohm model. Anyway I agree with these graphs here about their differences

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2,681 of 5,854
Quote:
As someone in the market for a pair of orthodynamics, I would be grateful if you (or anyone) could provide more information on said issue!

in my experience, and from talking with others who have experienced what i have experienced with the LCD-3, complete driver failure seems to occur more frequently with planar magnetic than with standard dynamic transducers.  it has nothing to do with amplification or misuse or dc offset etc.  the drivers have a higher rate of just becoming mute.  i'm not sure what the reason is at this time and what the percentage is.  
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how is the updated review on the Sony Qualia with the small headband coming along?

i haven't begun redrafting this.  it definitely improves the sound however.  on the other hand, it doesn't make me suddenly feel that the qualia is the world's best headphone..... it probably still won't be in the top 20 i think, though we will see.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #2,683 of 5,854
in my experience, and from talking with others who have experienced what i have experienced with the LCD-3, complete driver failure seems to occur more frequently with planar magnetic than with standard dynamic transducers.  it has nothing to do with amplification or misuse or dc offset etc.  the drivers have a higher rate of just becoming mute.  i'm not sure what the reason is at this time and what the percentage is.  
i haven't begun redrafting this.  it definitely improves the sound however.  on the other hand, it doesn't make me suddenly feel that the qualia is the world's best headphone..... it probably still won't be in the top 20 i think, though we will see.

I see. Sounds like the Qualia's are finicky headphones. I see, so it seems that they just quite can't compete with some of the best. From what I gathered from browsing this site over the years is that 3 headphones seem to be considered as the best headphones in the world the most consistently; the Sennheiser Orpheus, STAX SR-009, and Sony MDR-R10 with which being the best being debatable and a matter of preference. After finally having the chance to audition them albeit somewhat briefly, I'm inclined to agree with my fairly limited experience with headphones.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,684 of 5,854
Quote:

Are LCD-3 with their thinner membrane more prone to this than LCD-2, as despite bigger LCD-2 customer base I haven't seen many reports on their drivers failures, esp. for 2.2?

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2,685 of 5,854
Quote:
Are LCD-3 with their thinner membrane more prone to this than LCD-2, as despite bigger LCD-2 customer base I haven't seen many reports on their drivers failures, esp. for 2.2?

Good point. I'm a little concerned about this possibly happening to my 2.2's. Also, would it be a case of; If its going to fail, it will happen in the first week or two like most components. Or are all orthos drivers potential time bombs..? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back