Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #1,831 of 5,854
Quote:
Agree with basically everything you've said in the HE400 writeup. It's pretty damn nifty how you are able to describe its peculiar sound signature without making it confusing. Bravo!

I agree.

I've been reading many, many posts on the 400 and 500s over the last month or so, with alot of them pretty confusing. Using your other reviews as reference, it makes understaning how the HE400s will sound alot easier. For me that's big as I havent listended to any of the HifiMan planar models yet. But that might change soon as I think I may get off the fence now and get the 400s :).

Thanks again David for gettting this new review out so quick, especially during the holidays. Hope you are now having a happy one!

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,832 of 5,854
Quote:
Agree with basically everything you've said in the HE400 writeup. It's pretty damn nifty how you are able to describe its peculiar sound signature without making it confusing. Bravo!

Hey, thanks!!

Quote:
Nice to see HE-400 in this ranking! Thanks, David! All I want to see there now is my LFF Paradox, which have A++ price/performance in my opinion :) Hope you'll get them soon :)

I'm definitely interested in hearing them, we will see:)

Quote:
Odd to see another person having issues with the he-400 cable unscrewing itself all the time.  

Paradox and Mad-dog would be great additions.

The screw-in nature never truly "locks" so it will probably happen with the HifiMan products until the design is revised. What's worse though is that the screw-in nature is bad long-term for the health of the cable.

Quote:
Was hoping my HE-400 would have beat my buddy's HD650 in ranking but overall the review was great and made me feel good that I chose the HE-400 as my first major audiophile purchase. Thanks for reviewing thru all those cable issues you had.

It doesn't "lose" as much as I think its in the same area of quality.  The HD650 has a tonality which I feel is overall just slightly more in alignment with my perception of sound quality, but the HE-400 does other things better and in some ways I like them more.  They are very comparable.

Quote:
Thanks for bringing in the review of the HE-400! I love your way of rating the headphones not just on relative sound quality but on value as well. Enticing!

Thanks!!
Quote:
Great review David! I find your rankings really informative and helpful, thanks for doing this. 

Happy holidays!

Thanks!:) You too!
Quote:
I agree.

I've been reading many, many posts on the 400 and 500s over the last month or so, with alot of them pretty confusing. Using your other reviews as reference, it makes understaning how the HE400s will sound alot easier. For me that's big as I havent listended to any of the HifiMan planar models yet. But that might change soon as I think I may get off the fence now and get the 400s :).

Thanks again David for gettting this new review out so quick, especially during the holidays. Hope you are now having a happy one!

Thanks!! I think no matter which HifiMan you go with, its going to be a pleasant surprise.  They're the only manufacturer thus far to score two A+s, which is not a grade that I easily award a headphone.  

Happy holidays!

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #1,833 of 5,854
Hey, thanks!!

I'm definitely interested in hearing them, we will see:)

The screw-in nature never truly "locks" so it will probably happen with the HifiMan products until the design is revised. What's worse though is that the screw-in nature is bad long-term for the health of the cable.

It doesn't "lose" as much as I think its in the same area of quality.  The HD650 has a tonality which I feel is overall just slightly more in alignment with my perception of sound quality, but the HE-400 does other things better and in some ways I like them more.  They are very comparable.

Thanks!!
Thanks!:) You too!
Thanks!! I think no matter which HifiMan you go with, its going to be a pleasant surprise.  They're the only manufacturer thus far to score two A+s, which is not a grade that I easily award a headphone.  

Happy holidays!

Am almost sure if u ever would test lower high end phones the he300 would get A+ also..as for its price its almost unbeatable.. :D

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,834 of 5,854
Quote:
Am almost sure if u ever would test lower high end phones the he300 would get A+ also..as for its price its almost unbeatable..
biggrin.gif

I'm sure.  There are 20 dollar headphones that are not eclipsed by a $400 headphone twenty times over.  It becomes difficult to compare the two. But yes, in the sub-$200 category there are many A+s for value.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,835 of 5,854
Quote:

I guess I'll have to see what happens to my cable eventually.  So far after about 200 hours of use though, I've never had the cables come loose on me once.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,837 of 5,854
Hifiman definitely needs to update the build on their cans.

Specifically their connectors..they once listened to their customers concerning the plastic connectors of their pads being very breakable.and came up with less breakable ones...so lets hope they come up with a solution for the cable connectors as well. Mr. Fang..pls!!! :wink:

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,838 of 5,854
the rest is fine. I just hate the connectors and they are hard to screw in at times. I wish they had something like mini xlr instead.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #1,839 of 5,854
the rest is fine. I just hate the connectors and they are hard to screw in at times. I wish they had something like mini xlr instead.

I agree..mini xlr could be a good alternative.

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,842 of 5,854
Quote:
With the he-400 cables I find twisting the cable to the left prior to screwing them on enough to be about equal to the amount it takes to turn to the right to secure it stops it from trying to unscrew.

Yeah, that seems to be the proper way of doing it. http://vimeo.com/38792502

Quote:
About how often are people having to re-secure the cables? Once a day or once every few days?

I've only done it twice. Once because the cable looked kinda twisted and another time because the right connector came loose, but never again.

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,843 of 5,854
Yeah, that seems to be the proper way of doing it. http://vimeo.com/38792502

I've only done it twice. Once because the cable looked kinda twisted and another time because the right connector came loose, but never again.

Only twice also..when upgrading to a new cable and when it got unscrewed somehow on one side.. Never again. :D

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #1,844 of 5,854
When I owned the LCD-2 rev 1, I had the same cable attachment problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back