Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #1,816 of 5,854
Dear all,

I am happy to announce that I have finished the HE-400 review right on schedule.  You can read it here.

All the rankings and charts have been revised to make way for the HE-400.

In addition, I have moved the Westone ES5 up 3 spots, which I have been meaning to do since before I even posted the thread.  The ES5 is my go to earphone when I'm just using my iPod, which is often the case!

I will continue to answer questions, but I may not rejoin the thread tonight as I am expected to spend this evening with my family:)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!! :)

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,817 of 5,854
Wow, the HE-400 sure make a breathtaking new entry on the 24th place

beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,819 of 5,854
I don't know if someone is already asked about it, but, it seems you love all your HE headphone series with the velour,  to your ears David, does the velour is better than the faux plether in terms of sound quality?

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,820 of 5,854
Quote:
David:  Thanks for the wonderfully comprehensive review(s) post.  I bought the DT-660 some time ago on your recommendation and haven't regretted it in the least.  It has great isolation, is very efficient, has a little bit of sub-bass (I'm a Grado man) and is very comfortable.

I look forward to your posts, even when I may differ with you just a little bit.

Chow.

Thanks! and Im glad you enjoy the DT-660.  It really has a lot going for it.
Quote:
David have you ever considered using meditational type cd's to evaluate headphone sound qualities?  ya know, singing bowls, chimes, gongs and the like? I also wonder what their burn in contribution might be.    Really great review you've given us!    Thanks again and again.  I've got a few phones myself and seem to lean towards the he400, looking forward to your review!

I have listened to world music, but not sounds of the sea, if that's what you mean:)  But now I'm intrigued to do it, although I'll probably sleep. haha
Quote:
I cannot thank you enough for all of the effort you put into this incredible body of knowledge. I have found myself referring back to this several times as a resource. Thank you again for sharing your passion and knowledge with everyone!

Thanks!

Quote:
David, ever since i've bought my Grado PS1000s, i have a pair of non ''i'' GS1000 collecting dust, so i'm thinking about selling them and maybe try something different like HE500 or LCD-2, i also have a pair of HP1000s, and a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 headphone amp,

Now, i realise that i might be answering my own question by saying this but, considering that i haven't found anything i don't like about my PS1000s, but i'd really like to hear your toughts on this, do you think that the HE500 or the LCD-2 could be a worthy complement to the headphones i already have, and if so, would you recommend that i get a new amp to drive them.

Thanks in advance. 

I think either would be a good complement.  I don't have experience with the X-Can, so I don't really know for sure, but I would say that both headphones need a great deal more power than the PS1000, so its possible you may benefit from a different amp.  Also, its my view that you don't have to find "flaw" with a headphone in order to want a different sound signature

Quote:
I know this was asked before - but what the hay...

Looking back on the amps used in this review I was just wondering.  

What amp or amps was used with the HE-500 and the HE-6?

I think the same amps sound good with all the hifiman headphones, though I probably lean more towards the 307A with the HE-400.
Quote:
I don't know if someone is already asked about it, but, it seems you love all your HE headphone series with the velour,  to your ears David, does the velour is better than the faux plether in terms of sound quality?

All the HifiMan headphones that I've tried, I do prefer the velour pads.  Although with regard to the HE-5, the faux leather was not an option at the time.

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #1,825 of 5,854
Quote:
well the he400 got an A+... which is no surprise to me, although i see that it fails to beat the hd600/650 in terms of sonic quality in your view.. am i right?? or would you say that they are on par with each other??

yes, very much on par, but very different
Quote:
What a wonderful round-up. Subscribed.

thank you:)

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #1,826 of 5,854
Nice to see HE-400 in this ranking! Thanks, David! All I want to see there now is my LFF Paradox, which have A++ price/performance in my opinion :) Hope you'll get them soon :)

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #1,828 of 5,854
Was hoping my HE-400 would have beat my buddy's HD650 in ranking but overall the review was great and made me feel good that I chose the HE-400 as my first major audiophile purchase. Thanks for reviewing thru all those cable issues you had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back