Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,802 of 5,854
Quote:
Hi david,

What is your opinion on SR009's 'brightness' ? Are they inherently bright (or slightly brighter than neutral as you mentioned) or they just reveal the brightness in the upstream?

I myself do not find SR009 being bright !! It depends heavily on the recording and the source.

When I listen with the SR009, I don't feel like I have a bright pair of headphones on my head, but if I carefully listen over time, I become aware that they are mildly brighter than what I perceive as neutral, but we're talking about a marginal thing here.
Quote:
David,

Can you explain more about the LCD-3's bass satisfying a self-proclaimed basshead, while the HE-500's bass doesn't?  Would the LCD-2's bass satisfy a basshead?

I was suggesting that the only off-the-cuff critical impression a person may have of using the HE-500 for a relatively short time is that some bass-heads may crave a bit more fullness on the very bottom.  It's not a bass-light headphone though.  The LCD-3 and 2 comparatively have more bass.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,803 of 5,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was suggesting that the only off-the-cuff critical impression a person may have of using the HE-500 for a relatively short time is that some bass-heads may crave a bit more fullness on the very bottom.  It's not a bass-light headphone though.  The LCD-3 and 2 comparatively have more bass.

A number of people on the forum seem to think the HE-500/400 have more bass quantity than the Audeze headphones, but less bass slam to them.  Is this what you're describing, or are you saying they have more slam and more quantity to them?  

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,804 of 5,854
DavidMahler, after reading the review I decided to purchase the DT880.

Is undoubtedly better than the headphone AKG K240.

My version is the 250 ohm, what headphone amplifier can recommend up to $ 500?

With a warm sound, a big stage, and with a little bold bass.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,805 of 5,854
Quote:

A number of people on the forum seem to think the HE-500/400 have more bass quantity than the Audeze headphones, but less bass slam to them.  Is this what you're describing, or are you saying they have more slam and more quantity to them?  

The 400s have more bass than the 500.  I would say the Hifiman line manages to have a tactile feeling which maybe Audez'e has less off.  But I would say by the nature that the Audez'e are darker, their bass is brought forward.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #1,806 of 5,854
Quote:
DavidMahler, after reading the review I decided to purchase the DT880.

Is undoubtedly better than the headphone AKG K240.

My version is the 250 ohm, what headphone amplifier can recommend up to $ 500?

With a warm sound, a big stage, and with a little bold bass.

Do you mind buying used?  Because if you can find a Triad Audio Lisa 3 or L3 or Larocca PRII (all similar amps), you may be able to find it for under $500 used.  This sounds great with the DT880 250

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #1,807 of 5,854
No, but I want to hear the amp works with headphones before buying, so I'll have something more familiar that exists in my country.

What about the Darkvoice 336i and Bottlehead Crack?

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,809 of 5,854
David:  Thanks for the wonderfully comprehensive review(s) post.  I bought the DT-660 some time ago on your recommendation and haven't regretted it in the least.  It has great isolation, is very efficient, has a little bit of sub-bass (I'm a Grado man) and is very comfortable.

I look forward to your posts, even when I may differ with you just a little bit.

Chow.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,810 of 5,854
David have you ever considered using meditational type cd's to evaluate headphone sound qualities?  ya know, singing bowls, chimes, gongs and the like? I also wonder what their burn in contribution might be.    Really great review you've given us!    Thanks again and again.  I've got a few phones myself and seem to lean towards the he400, looking forward to your review!

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,811 of 5,854
I cannot thank you enough for all of the effort you put into this incredible body of knowledge. I have found myself referring back to this several times as a resource. Thank you again for sharing your passion and knowledge with everyone!

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,812 of 5,854
David, ever since i've bought my Grado PS1000s, i have a pair of non ''i'' GS1000 collecting dust, so i'm thinking about selling them and maybe try something different like HE500 or LCD-2, i also have a pair of HP1000s, and a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 headphone amp,

Now, i realise that i might be answering my own question by saying this but, considering that i haven't found anything i don't like about my PS1000s, but i'd really like to hear your toughts on this, do you think that the HE500 or the LCD-2 could be a worthy complement to the headphones i already have, and if so, would you recommend that i get a new amp to drive them.

Thanks in advance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back