Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #796 of 5,854
Quote:
The problem with measurements is that, yes, it does show your freq response; but it does not take into consideration the quality of the driver. Your lcd-2's are probably one of the nicest measurements I've seen, so for that you're lucky and I understand why you may be wondering how it can get better. Thing is, the lotus driver on the lcd-3 is superior to the one of the lcd-2. The extraction of details is superior and decay to me is noticeably quicker. If you get around to trying the lcd-3, you may be surprised to hear how much more transparent it sounds, albeit the freq response being so similar. This is what stunned me, and impressed me. Although, maybe you would prefer the darker sound of the lcd-2. 

Trust me, it's hard to determine the differences between these headphones, especially being similar builds. And although measurements can help have an idea of their sound, you really need to compare them head to head (or ear to ear). 

My Fostex t50rp Paradox measures better than my hd800 and he-6, and it also measures better than lcd2/3's; it sounds really good, and is neutral as can be, versatile, etc. But again, it is no where near as resolving as those headphones. It also has more resonance. A few people who have tried it where not impressed because they could not appreciate the near perfect freq response of the headphones, and would chose stuff like HD25's, AKG k550 or even denon ah-d1100 over them! I would never, mainly because the sound tuning is fantastic on the paradox; but again, the fostex is 100$ headphone, the driver isn't the best out there for extracting details and dimension; albeit the great freq response.

Hope my input somewhat helps, you're definitely getting good sound with the lcd-2 and sometimes it's hard to think of better. You may or may not prefer the lcd-3, but if you get a chance of hearing them, let me know what you think!

cheers

The measurement above for LCD-2 was not mine... However, the difference between that graph and the one of my phones is almost zero. Don't know why, maybe Audeze is getting more consistent (with rev2 I guess)...

As for the difference you describe, decay and level of detail are both nice upgrades... However, I am taking this as an automatic thing - we are talking about 1000 vs 2000 USD, right? I would say LCD-3 should be twice better in both these parameters to fullfill their pricing as we are comparing headphones from one company (it's impossible to think like this in general, in the whole world of headphones, of course).

I am sure LCD-3 are better overally... Stax 009 as well... etc. etc. But I am (un)fortunately in a position when I cannot just spend 5000 dollars for a pair of headphones because it performs at best 20% better than some 1000 dollars pair. The same goes to the amps/DACs...

Does Paradox really measure better? I have seen measurements of those phones and not being impressed very much... At least, they are not neutral at all - not flat in the bass and peaky in treble. Other measurement characteristics are also not very impressive I would say (for example: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedLFFParadox.pdf). Hifiman HE-500 over them all the time for quite the same money as their open design should deliver better fidelity, at least.

To finish up, I have heard so far quite a few headphones in different classes and what I have got is that almost everyone on head-fi is strongly exaggerating about different qualities among their gear... Is 1000USD headphone 10x better than 100USD? Absolutely not... At best, it's 2x better. The 10x improvement is maybe true with some 10USD vs 100USD but still I would be very suspicious about these statements. The same goes with amps - I have heard about five different units and all sounded 99% equal except for some of them being coloured in the bass (emphasis). It's just an amp, all it is supposed to do is to amplify the signal without adding any unwanted coloration, just strengthen it! I would like to believe that it's just my ears but as I am only 22 and I do hear differences among different gear but still not finding them MASSIVE or CRUCIAL like many people love to express here, it seems like my opinion is just quite more... realistic? From the technical point of view, my ears should be perfectly allright... At least from what my doctor said about three months ago. I don't listen to classical stuff very much but I have tried to assess a bit with some HD audio (24/96 and similar) and still haven't been able to hear any "mind-blowing" improvements among differently priced gear except for some crappy phones bellow 50USD...

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #797 of 5,854
Quote:
Will do, its discontinued now, but I will definitely consider it.

In fact its not yet!

I asked HIFIman and it will be available at least til the end of the year. At head-direct.com

Thats when Im buying mine anyways :)

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #799 of 5,854
Quote:
Alright alright. Fair enough, I'll take it.

So next question I had (this is great I can ask someone like you these things lol). What, in your opinion, is the best portable music source out there? I currently use my Android smartphone as my source, and I think it works great for me. I've got a really good app that has a 10-channel equalizer, so it suits me fine. Only downside is that since it's a cellphone, the RF emissions create noticeable static noise. Especially when the cord running from my phone to my amp is sitting above or below it. It's interesting to hear the phone talking with the tower, but I don't really care for it much.  If I turn the radio off, it fixes the problem, but then I don't have the "phone" part of it haha. So I was just looking for another solution. An obvious option is an iPod, but I have this deep burning hate for all things Apple. Especially iTunes. Lord don't even get me started! Anyways, do iPods work the best? Do I just need to get over my hate for it?

I guess my question is, what portable source has the best equalizer? I'm kind of dissatisfied with the EQs on iPods, since they only allow factory presets and not your own manual settings.

i love my hifiman hm602 with my he500...but its not really portable as walking with it outside...but what i did love was this..and i had it for years....a cowon D2 (the all metal one! thats the best sounding one!) with the westone UM3X...that was my walking around rig...the soundquality is really good!.only problem was that the westones blocked all the outside noises..so i had to be carefull while walking outside..
basshead.gif

another option is: hifiman hm602 with their own brand in-ear headphone..i heared it sounds good too!
for ur info..the hm602 doesnt pair well with a westone..i dont know why...but it doesnt..

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #800 of 5,854
This is the bible of reviews!

No words! Great awesome freaking job!

I have gained more information about headphones here in a few minutes than i got in days.

I am very curious about where would the new LCD2 rev2 would stand in your ranking.

I have had the lcd2 rev 1 for a week but some time ago and from the small parts that remained in my memory, i found the rev 2 having a bigger soundstage and more defined treble, as i have read other saying.

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #801 of 5,854
Quote:
This is the bible of reviews!
No words! Great awesome freaking job!
I have gained more information about headphones here in a few minutes than i got in days.
I am very curious about where would the new LCD2 rev2 would stand in your ranking.
I have had the lcd2 rev 1 for a week but some time ago and from the small parts that remained in my memory, i found the rev 2 having a bigger soundstage and more defined treble, as i have read other saying.

I really would like to include the Rev 2, but I am doubtful that I will purchase one in the near future.  Perhaps if I found one used for an extremely generous price, but other than that it doesn't seem likely that it will get included any time soon :frowning2:

But thank you so much for the kind words.  

Everyone's been so kind to me.  It definitely makes the work pay off, and keeps me motivated to add a bunch more. :)

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #802 of 5,854
There's one ranking on my list that I have been considering revising on the premise that a large portion of my recent listening time has been with it.  And that is the Westone ES5.  I don't feel differently about its sound.  However, as my listening time has become much more portable-oriented, I've found myself grabbing the ES5 almost exclusively.  As I say in my review, i don't think any other earphone sounds as good out of an iPod directly, especially if one listens to jazz or rock.  It's a bit rolled off for classical I think.  If I move it up in the ranking a few spots, I will certainly make note of this here.  I still feel the JH Audios scale better in a dedicated headphone setup.  But my goodness, the Westones sound amped even when they're just plugged in an iPod headphone out.  It's really something to behold.

So this is the question I'm grappling with right now--which custom fit IEM to go for?

I'll be upgrading from the Westone 3, which I love with the black olive tips but not the comply foams, which are needed for air travel. They isolate well but are just not comfortable. My portable rig is an iPod classic connected to the Fostex HP-P1 DAC/amp.

I'm debating between the JH-13 and the ES5. Comfort and isolation and fit are key, which seems to favor the ES5, but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality and I want something that scales well to my rig.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #804 of 5,854
Quote:
In the next 16 months or so, I intend on adding 10 more headphones to the mix

The list I have at this time is:

HifiMan: HE-400
Koss: ESP-950
Sony: CD3000
Taket: H2+
Sennheiser: HE60
Beyerdynamic: DT990
Audio-Technica: ATH-L3000
JVC: DX1000

I am looking for two more recommendations

There obviously may be an LCD-4, an HE-7, an HD850 (or new electrostatic headphone) in this time.

When the review reaches 70 headphones, I will probably not be adding anymore:)

HE-5LE
Paradox
Mad Dogs

If you can get your hands on one  A (BMF) Blue Monkey Flyer

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #805 of 5,854
What will you be listening to primarily?  What type of sound do you favor? 

When I travel it's mostly soothing stuff (Sigur Ros, the XX, Washed Out) and alternative (Arcade Fire, Killers, Sonic Youth), sometimes classical (symphonies, concertos, sonatas from the greats).

I'm not a bass head but I also abhor sibilance on the high end. I like lush but without sacrificing detail.

That help?

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #806 of 5,854
Quote:
When I travel it's mostly soothing stuff (Sigur Ros, the XX, Washed Out) and alternative (Arcade Fire, Killers, Sonic Youth), sometimes classical (symphonies, concertos, sonatas from the greats).
I'm not a bass head but I also abhor sibilance on the high end. I like lush but without sacrificing detail.
That help?

my first instinct is to suggest the ES5, but i do think the highs will sound more rolled off than maybe even the Westone 3.  However, the decay and midrange is wonderful.  It's lush and wonderful with rock music.  With classical, the upper register sometimes gets smeared.  The JH13 is much more neutral by comparison, but also, a bit more picky.  I don't think you'll be disappointed either way....

The JH13 is closer to an HD800, while the ES5 is closer to an LCD-2/3

When the JH13 is amped in a high-end setup, it begins to be able to do things that I don't feel the ES5 can.  But in a portable setup, I almost always opt for the ES5 (especially unamped)

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #807 of 5,854
Hi David,

I noticed that you didn't have the FitEar TO GO! 334 making into your top 50+ list. Was it 'cos you didn't have access to them or they simply didn't make it into the list for sonic reasons?

Cheers

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #808 of 5,854
Quote:
Does Paradox really measure better? I have seen measurements of those phones and not being impressed very much... At least, they are not neutral at all - not flat in the bass and peaky in treble. Other measurement characteristics are also not very impressive I would say (for example: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedLFFParadox.pdf). Hifiman HE-500 over them all the time for quite the same money as their open design should deliver better fidelity, at least.

Did you hear Paradox? I have both Paradox and HE-500 and I would prefer them to HiFiMans any day. I don't want to say that HE-500 is a bad heaphone, they are actually great, but Paradox... WoW!

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #809 of 5,854
Quote:
Hi David,

I noticed that you didn't have the FitEar TO GO! 334 making into your top 50+ list. Was it 'cos you didn't have access to them or they simply didn't make it into the list for sonic reasons?

Cheers

Hi Anak,

I just haven't heard them. It may compare very well.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #810 of 5,854
Maybe you can help me out, David. I am really looking into a pair of Beyerdynamics, whether it be the DT 770 PRO or the DT 880 is where I am stuck. I am leaning towards a closed set, are the 880s open enough to be in that category? Would you take the 770s at $198 or the 880s at $250, both at 250 ohms? Also amp needed to power either of them? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back