Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 4, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #466 of 5,854
Quote:
Had another good read, a few things that come to mind;
1. Sound quality rightfully isn't everything. For example the HE-6 drops "points" for its lackluster design, questionable build quality and uncomfortable nature, more so than other Hifimans due to it's price. This just further accentuates why this is one of the best reviews ever
biggrin.gif

2. That David favors cold or analytical headphones only goes to show how natural, transparent and outright awesome the LCD2 and LCD3 really are, at #12 and #8 respectively.
3. The HE-500 really is the sweet spot for price/performance. I'd also like to see the HE-400 as I'd guesstimate it would make the top 30.
4. I'm buying an LCD-3 and blaming David if my wife finds out.
biggrin.gif

I'm going to tell her.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But yeah, its a really great review and helpful overlook. And I'm sure will be used for a long time for references. It's just when some people try and spoil the fun of debate with this kind of sarcasm annoys me. Makes me wonder why some peeps are on here.
"David, could you revisit your entire work. I don't think your esteem of my current headphone is high enough."

(plus I've been up all night with a teething baby... everything is annoying me this morning. Don't mind me :wink:

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #467 of 5,854
@DavidMahler

Dear David,
first a very good summary of many good headphones!

Did you look for the new Jecklin Float
I miss it in your summary.

http://www.quad-musik.de/html/jecklin1.html

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #468 of 5,854
I'm going to tell her. :veryevil:

But yeah, its a really great review and helpful overlook. And I'm sure will be used for a long time for references. It's just when some people try and spoil the fun of debate with this kind of sarcasm annoys me. Makes me wonder why some peeps are on here.
"David, could you revisit your entire work. I don't think your esteem of my current headphone is high enough."

Do and I'll let your wife know you saved for the LCD-2s by downsizing her birthday gifts :p

Yeah bro, have to agree, trying to stifle debate on a discussion forum is counter-productive and just a little bit silly. Who better to argue the case of a headphone than someone who owns and enjoys it compared to the competition?

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #469 of 5,854
This has got to be the best review I have ever read on any audio forum in a long while. (Not to mention the impressive amount of audio gear)
Kudos to you David (same name, hehe :) ) for taking the time and effort (for those beautiful picture shots) for making this review. 

What's funny is that a large of percentage of the headphones you own (that I have heard and owned) from what you've written in your review is almost exactly word for word to my impressions and what I feel about them, especially all the Beyers, LCD2, Senns (except HD700 and Orpheus) reviewed, not to mention to hugely correct some of those out there, the HD800's are finicky about the amp and depending the amp your powering the can's from it can be a love and hate relationship, night and day difference. (Your description of how you stated their is a sonic difference of sound between the early production HD800's to a 10""" later model was the word I was looking for, as I stated something similar for my own HD800 review while ago).

Not surprised you find 010's overpriced and awful sounding, some say it's due to the pads, but Markl (og of markl mods) shared the same problem on one of his reviews (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=83868) as well as some others here at H-fi.

I've always wondered what the price for Todds 307A would be and thought it would float around the 3-4k region (too bad its out of my range atm) and great to know the signature of the amp too. 

But yet again, guess some out there would agree and disagree at the sametime (each to their own) awaits for Muppetface's massive review. lol

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #470 of 5,854
I'll make a list of all the headphones that I'd ultimately would like to include in order to make evaluation list even more complete.  At this time, I'm taking a break both from the writing and the spending:)  But I'd ultimately like to include the following headphones/earphones

Audio Technica: L3000
Beyerdynamic: DT990
Denon: AH-D7100
Grado: PS1
Grado: PS500
HifiMan: HE400
JVC: DX1000
Sennheiser: HE60 (Baby Orpheus)
Sony: CD3000
Stax: Sigma Pro
Taket H2+

Maybe also a few other in-ears as well....I used to own quite a few etymotics, other UE's and Sonys...

The problem is, within the next 5 years, i suspect there will be between 10-20 worthy addition new contenders and as such.... the project will never end:)

Edit: also the Koss ESP950

If you're going to add JVC, the FX700 is a great universal IEM that is worthy of consideration here. Also I would love to see the Lambda Pro mentioned in addition to the Sigma.

On a separate note, I was surprised to see that you thought that the HD600 scaled up well when driven in balanced mode, for myself that is one area where the HD650 pulls noticeably ahead of it's sibling.

I'm glad this will be a "living document"!

:beerchug:

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #471 of 5,854
Quote:
Do and I'll let your wife know you saved for the LCD-2s by downsizing her birthday gifts
tongue.gif

Yeah bro, have to agree, trying to stifle debate on a discussion forum is counter-productive and just a little bit silly. Who better to argue the case of a headphone than someone who owns and enjoys it compared to the competition?

biggrin.gif

Suppose a washing peg basket was downsizing a bit....
very_evil_smiley.gif

beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #474 of 5,854
Wonderful review and thread.  I have a few good headphones at home (including the RS1i) already, and don't want to keep spending all my money on gear, but I am thinking of getting one more - a can that will make me stop buying cans.  I was already eyeing up the HE-500, and this review has nudged me closer.  I'll need a nice new amp to go with it though...  Oh my poor bank account...

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #478 of 5,854
Quote:
1. Sound quality rightfully isn't everything. For example the HE-6 drops "points" for its lackluster design, questionable build quality and uncomfortable nature, 

"points"  ha ha ha  That still doesn't take away from the FACT the HE-6 is better performing headphone. 
biggrin.gif

"The HE-500 manages to get very close to the performance level of a well -driven HE-6"

Close - But no cigar..  
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #479 of 5,854
Lots of work there, Thanks.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #480 of 5,854
Man, you're nuts. I would never attempt anything like this. I don't think I could do it with any degree of accuracy beyond very basic descriptions. I also think you're a bit nuts in some of your impressions, as they're pretty much the exact opposite of my own.

Regardless, I'm very, VERY impressed. I think this shows that you care about the hobby, and your enthusiasm is second to none. I can't imagine the amount of time you must have put into this - or money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back