Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Oct 12, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #5,416 of 5,854

You know I have. 
cool.gif
 I even thought it sounded mostly as good as the HE1000. But as you know, electrostats are the only headphones that really impress me. Lost interest in just about everything else.

P.S. Check your inbox! lol

400i sounding as good as he1000, thats a big claim. Does it makes such a diference modding HPs?

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #5,418 of 5,854
  400i sounding as good as he1000, thats a big claim. Does it makes such a diference modding HPs?

Yeah, you need to take everything said online with a certain quantity of salt. hehe. I'm simply not all that impressed by non-electrostats, so take that into account. But I did not say it sounded as good; I said it sounded mostly as good. The HE1000 is clearly better, but both have a similar sound signature—one that is significantly less transparent to my ears than electrostats.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #5,419 of 5,854

Hmm... this is all I could find on it.

https://www.facebook.com/headfonia/posts/1084161104961919

Easier to drive HE1000 designed for portable players?  I wonder if it's tuned to a similar sound signature.  

I would really like to hear the HE1000 and HE-6 side by side on proper amps for each (I've heard both, just not side by side, and the Headamp GS-X Mk2 can drive the HE-6 decently but I imagine there are better amps for it).  I wouldn't be surprised if I liked the HE-6 more.

I was surprised to like the HE-6 more when I did this over the weekend. And that's even allowing for the wow it's new it's shiny factor of the HE1000s kicking in. Most of the group I was with preferred the 1000s however.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #5,420 of 5,854
Anybody has his preference... For me the Fostex TH7B +sorbothane mod is way better than the basic  lambda nova Stax i own...By the way the Fostex (70 dollars) is on par even if very different with my He 400 +sorbothane mod...How a 70 dollars headphone may sound so good ? i dont have the answer... The mid are organic, fluid, instrumental timbre more realistic and natural,3-D depht soundstage was good,  but width narrow...The tonal ladder equilibrated and balanced...
smile.gif
the Fostex in a word is not the gear with  the more techinical capabilities, no, but by a good margin the more musical and i had compared them to , Stax basic ,Hifiman he 400 and AKG 701...the hifiman is my first choice for steroid listening... For more relaxing one the Fostex...I dont listen by now way to much the "perfect" and more transparent , 2-dimensional  and less musical Stax...

fostex International
3 February 2014 ·
We are pleased to announce that model TH-7B was awarded "Diapason d'or de la HI-FI 2013" as one of the best three headphones in 2013 by the famous French classical music magazine.
Why don't you check the link to know more about these high cost performance headphones?
http://www.fostexinternational.com/…/TH_Series_TH-5BB_and_7…

REVISED OPINION : with a more adequate application of the sorbothane mod the HE400 achieved his potential and exceed the Fostex TH7B now...I prefered the two to my basic Stax... etheral 2-d sound is not my cup of tea... But i had not put sorbothane in my Stax hence... it is not end of the story...

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #5,421 of 5,854

Yeah, you need to take everything said online with a certain quantity of salt. hehe. I'm simply not all that impressed by non-electrostats, so take that into account. But I did not say it sounded as good; I said it sounded mostly as good. The HE1000 is clearly better, but both have a similar sound signature—one that is significantly less transparent to my ears than electrostats.

Yeah i know. When i said it was a big claim, i was taking it with a grain of salt xD Not saying it sounds the same, just thought it wasn´t the best analogy. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #5,423 of 5,854
Bonjour David from France! 
I'm a fresh subscriber to Head-fi, and discover your terrific work on this Battle... Congratulations!!!, sincerely.
This really represents long hours of experience that we can all share as music lovers.
L3000.gif

Cheers,
Lino

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #5,425 of 5,854
I just realized this thread is approaching its 3 year anniversary.  I would have thought it was older.  It's surprising that the bass-light MDR-R10 used in this comparison probably wasn't rotting from the inside, given its age.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #5,427 of 5,854
  Is that possible to add the HE-1000 ,LCD-4 and Mr.Speakers to this list. I wonder how they will compare with the rest of High End headphones.

Someone needs to loan him those headphones.  Even then, I wonder which amps he still has (I hope he kept his Pinnacle and WA5), and he excluded many headphones he previously owned since he couldn't test them simultaneously so I wonder if he'd add to the list?  I'll shoot him a PM after I get my K7xx and burn it in; if he's willing to evaluate it then I'd happily loan it to him.

I seem to have similar listening impressions, having heard many of the headphones here myself.  I wager he'd rank the HE1000 in his top 10.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #5,428 of 5,854
  Bonjour David from France! 
I'm a fresh subscriber to Head-fi, and discover your terrific work on this Battle... Congratulations!!!, sincerely.
This really represents long hours of experience that we can all share as music lovers.
L3000.gif

Cheers,
Lino

You're welcome! Always nice to hear the kind words

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #5,429 of 5,854
Regarding the HE-1000, it's definitely the headphone I wish I could squeeze in.  I haven't heard it at all.  I can't afford to continue the reviews due to present life expenses, but if Hifiman ever wanted to sell me one at a reduced cost to have it included in the review I would be open to it.  I can't vouch for where it would fall in the review.  It would be nice to see.  I wouldn't want to borrow one from a member because it can take me several months to fully evaluate.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #5,430 of 5,854
Regarding the HE-1000, it's definitely the headphone I wish I could squeeze in.  I haven't heard it at all.  I can't afford to continue the reviews due to present life expenses, but if Hifiman ever wanted to sell me one at a reduced cost to have it included in the review I would be open to it.  I can't vouch for where it would fall in the review.  It would be nice to see.  I wouldn't want to borrow one from a member because it can take me several months to fully evaluate.

Hello, David.
It'd be great to read your Battle of the flagships updated with Abyss 1266, Audeze LCD4 & Hifiman HE1000 & new amplifiers like Moon neo 430HA, Viva Egoista, Woo monophonic amplifier....
Headphones world has changed so fast & you did THE BEST HEADPHONES REVIEW EVER!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back