Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 4, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #5,446 of 5,854

Thats why its always better to upload the photo on the forum board :wink:

I've saved the whole first page in IE10 single HTML format 
wink_face.gif

To me the first page is like the holy grail of headphone bible

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #5,447 of 5,854
Wonderful write up, thanks for putting all this together. I do want to throw my opinion out there and I'll probably get stabbed for it but I must say that out of every headphone I've ever tested personally. The HD800's and the AKG K702s had the most similar sonic characteristics of any headphone I've ever heard. In fact if it was not for the lack of low end response on the K702s I'd be hard pressed to tell a difference in a blind test. With that said I much preferred the sound of the Audeze LCD 1s(Yes I got to try a prototype!) and LCD 2s, too the HifiMan Series, although I did think they were very good in their own right.

I also have tried the Woo Audio 5 LE and I'll be honest it was not my cup of tea at all. It felt too syrupy for me, all the detail gone with tons of warmth. I did like the warmth part haha. I'm much more a fan of the 6jn6 amps like the Eddie Current Super 7 which I still wish I could afford haha.

Too each their own however, I just wanted to point out what has probably already been mentioned a thousand times. We all have our own taste and the best way to find the best pair for you is to try them out yourself and find what you like!

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #5,448 of 5,854
Wonderful write up, thanks for putting all this together. I do want to throw my opinion out there and I'll probably get stabbed for it but I must say that out of every headphone I've ever tested personally. The HD800's and the AKG K702s had the most similar sonic characteristics of any headphone I've ever heard. In fact if it was not for the lack of low end response on the K702s I'd be hard pressed to tell a difference in a blind test. With that said I much preferred the sound of the Audeze LCD 1s(Yes I got to try a prototype!) and LCD 2s, too the HifiMan Series, although I did think they were very good in their own right.

I also have tried the Woo Audio 5 LE and I'll be honest it was not my cup of tea at all. It felt too syrupy for me, all the detail gone with tons of warmth. I did like the warmth part haha. I'm much more a fan of the 6jn6 amps like the Eddie Current Super 7 which I still wish I could afford haha.

Too each their own however, I just wanted to point out what has probably already been mentioned a thousand times. We all have our own taste and the best way to find the best pair for you is to try them out yourself and find what you like!

What tubes did you use in the WA5?  I've tried it too, and it didn't sound syrupy at all (I tried it alongside other Woo Audio amps that were very warm and syrupy).  Interesting that you found the HD 800 and K702 to be very similar.  The HD 800 is known to respond more to amplification, so you could probably make it sound different with a different amp.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #5,450 of 5,854

I find it interesting you can't tell them apart in a blind test. You must have a very unique K702s, I can tell mine from the HD800 10/10

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #5,451 of 5,854
Alright sorry guys, I just got back from working. Like I said everyone "Hears" things differently. I did think the HD 800s had a little more detail and a little more bass but that their house sound signatures where very very similar at least to my ears on the setups I tested on the particular serial numbered sets I heard Etc. They both had very wide sound stages, both were very neutral sounding maybe a little airy. Both I would consider bass light though the K702s a little more so. But I can't really go into detail more than that since its been a few years since I've heard both side by side.

On another note I really liked the AD700s and now I want to hear the AD900s, My favorite set is still the LCD 2s but I've not heard the 2nd revision nor the LCD 3s or LCD X.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #5,452 of 5,854
Alright sorry guys, I just got back from working. Like I said everyone "Hears" things differently. I did think the HD 800s had a little more detail and a little more bass but that their house sound signatures where very very similar at least to my ears on the setups I tested on the particular serial numbered sets I heard Etc. They both had very wide sound stages, both were very neutral sounding maybe a little airy. Both I would consider bass light though the K702s a little more so. But I can't really go into detail more than that since its been a few years since I've heard both side by side.

On another note I really liked the AD700s and now I want to hear the AD900s, My favorite set is still the LCD 2s but I've not heard the 2nd revision nor the LCD 3s or LCD X.

The LCD-X is a bit different than the LCD-3 and presumably the LCD-2.  The LCD-3 is meant to be a direct upgrade of the 2, but not the X.  It's weird though, all three have extremely similar frequency responses, especially the Fazor revisions which are a bit more neutral.  But the LCD-X sounds way brighter to my ears, and less engaging (almost as if it had some slight mid range recession or at least non-linearity).

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,453 of 5,854
The LCD-X is a bit different than the LCD-3 and presumably the LCD-2.  The LCD-3 is meant to be a direct upgrade of the 2, but not the X.  It's weird though, all three have extremely similar frequency responses, especially the Fazor revisions which are a bit more neutral.  But the LCD-X sounds way brighter to my ears, and less engaging (almost as if it had some slight mid range recession or at least non-linearity).

Hey I actually appreciate that quick summary of differences there. That could come in handy! Thanks. The LCD 2s (1st revision) I heard did sound like they were warm in the bass area and although not exactly 100% neutral to my ears I thought they had a very fun sound and I don't know if I'd want it removed with the more neutral versions of the driver. I'd have to hear them haha.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #5,454 of 5,854
Wonderful write up, thanks for putting all this together. I do want to throw my opinion out there and I'll probably get stabbed for it but I must say that out of every headphone I've ever tested personally. The HD800's and the AKG K702s

What DAC was used with them?
Also did you just hear them at the meet few years back?

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #5,455 of 5,854
What DAC was used with them?

Also did you just hear them at the meet few years back?

Yes I heard them for the most part at the meet a few years back. I also did hear the HD 800 at my grandfathers who had a Burson 160 connected to a Music Streamer II+ but most of my use was at the meetup I will admit.

At the meet their was a number of different DACs hard to say.

Nov 10, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #5,457 of 5,854
Didn`t or couldn`t read the whole of what Mach3 quoted as "The holy grail of the headphone bible". At the present time time I have only one question. Is the KAM HP 1 suitable for my vintage gear or more for portable stuff?

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #5,459 of 5,854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back