Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 27, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #5,476 of 5,854
Started reading this thread, wondering how the DT880s would fare (since I am looking for an upgrade sometime next year), and I can honestly say that I wasn't surprised by value score.  They've been my "go to" general use cans for the last four years and honestly seemed cheap for what I ended up with.

I currently own the Ultrasone Pro 900 (F- value and sound), DT880s and Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs.  I love the Alpha Dogs, but they are a bit heavy for casual/gaming, and I'm looking for a real successor to the DT880s.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #5,477 of 5,854
  Started reading this thread, wondering how the DT880s would fare (since I am looking for an upgrade sometime next year), and I can honestly say that I wasn't surprised by value score.  They've been my "go to" general use cans for the last four years and honestly seemed cheap for what I ended up with.

I currently own the Ultrasone Pro 900 (F- value and sound), DT880s and Mr Speakers Alpha Dogs.  I love the Alpha Dogs, but they are a bit heavy for casual/gaming, and I'm looking for a real successor to the DT880s.

Yeah the DT 880 is one of the best headphones a new/upcoming audiophile can get.  I think a real successor to the DT 880 is the T1.  They sound very similar, but the T1 has much more detail, a significantly larger sound stage in all dimensions, and much better imaging.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #5,478 of 5,854

Yeah the DT 880 is one of the best headphones a new/upcoming audiophile can get.  I think a real successor to the DT 880 is the T1.  They sound very similar, but the T1 has much more detail, a significantly larger sound stage in all dimensions, and much better imaging.

Which version though?  I've seen both harsh criticism and high praise for gen one, while others say gen two (which is quite a bit more expensive) are a "big" improvement over the first iteration.  I've also read comments about it having scooped mids.  I'm not sure if the DT880s would be considered having scooped mids, but they sound pretty great with just about any genre IMO.  I think I read also that the T1s are a bit heavier than the DT880s as well, and I already own the absolutely fantastic-for-the-price Alpha Dogs (which overall sound better, but don't have nearly the same "set it and forget it" comfort).

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #5,479 of 5,854

Which version though?  I've seen both harsh criticism and high praise for gen one, while others say gen two (which is quite a bit more expensive) are a "big" improvement over the first iteration.  I've also read comments about it having scooped mids.  I'm not sure if the DT880s would be considered having scooped mids, but they sound pretty great with just about any genre IMO.  I think I read also that the T1s are a bit heavier than the DT880s as well, and I already own the absolutely fantastic-for-the-price Alpha Dogs (which overall sound better, but don't have nearly the same "set it and forget it" comfort).

I've only heard the T1 Gen 1.  I've seen somewhat mixed comments about the Gen 2, some saying the difference vs the Gen 1 is noticeable and others saying it's not.  I hate recessed mids, as a result I hate the Audio Technica M50 and M50X, and the Fostex TH-900.  The T1 didn't sound recessed to me.  The frequency response is very similar to the DT 880.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #5,480 of 5,854

I've only heard the T1 Gen 1.  I've seen somewhat mixed comments about the Gen 2, some saying the difference vs the Gen 1 is noticeable and others saying it's not.  I hate recessed mids, as a result I hate the Audio Technica M50 and M50X, and the Fostex TH-900.  The T1 didn't sound recessed to me.  The frequency response is very similar to the DT 880.

IMO, the Gen 2s are a good step up. Let me explain, yes, they both share the same beyer T1 sound...but the Gen 1s had issues with the treble that could be fatiguing and the bass was a bit understated for my liking. The Gen 2s fix both of these by a very good margin and add better soundstaging (especially front to back depth). Both have outstanding and upfront/liquid mids. So with those "fixes" the Gen 2 T1s are now truly meeting the potential that the Gen 1's missed on.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #5,482 of 5,854

The interesting thing is that the M50x's mids themselves aren't recessed in the measurements, but the bass is so overpowering that it makes them sound recessed anyway.

Yup that's what it is.  Recessed compared to that bass.

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #5,483 of 5,854
TBH I always thought the M50s sound kinda muddy in general, even compared to other bassy headphones (M100, Solo2, Momentum).

Poster above calling the K712s a "poor man's HD800" made my day actually haha. I'm feeling that usual wanderlust but can't figure if I want to try and trade for T90, HD700, or just snag some X2's and that kinda helped me decide to stay where I'm at.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #5,484 of 5,854

Poster above calling the K712s a "poor man's HD800" made my day actually haha. I'm feeling that usual wanderlust but can't figure if I want to try and trade for T90, HD700, or just snag some X2's and that kinda helped me decide to stay where I'm at.

Still T90 would be a step up for you 
wink_face.gif

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #5,486 of 5,854

I have DT880 and Alpha Dogs. I prefer DT880 for gaming because it's lighter, but the Alpha Dogs are more immersive in game experiences. You get more subbass when a bomb drops or grenade goes off like in Fallout 4. Both are fantastic headphones, I added an HD600 to my arsenal and a TH-X00 is on the way. Then I promise no more headphones
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #5,487 of 5,854

I have DT880 and Alpha Dogs. I prefer DT880 for gaming because it's lighter, but the Alpha Dogs are more immersive in game experiences. You get more subbass when a bomb drops or grenade goes off like in Fallout 4. Both are fantastic headphones, I added an HD600 to my arsenal and a TH-X00 is on the way. Then I promise no more headphones
wink.gif

Good luck with that....!!  
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #5,488 of 5,854
  Good luck with that....!!  
blink.gif

I decided that I will limit the amount of HPs to 4:

1 Neutral, 1 fun, 1 on the go and a wildcard.

So, HD600, Hifiman Edition X/LCD 2, not yet decided on the portable (hifiman HE 400i maybe) and the wildcard will probably be some stax.

So far I have none, Only a HE-400....
And ofc my next I hope will be something like the Edition X

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #5,489 of 5,854
  I decided that I will limit the amount of HPs to 4:

1 Neutral, 1 fun, 1 on the go and a wildcard.

So, HD600, Hifiman Edition X/LCD 2, not yet decided on the portable (hifiman HE 400i maybe) and the wildcard will probably be some stax.

So far I have none, Only a HE-400....
And ofc my next I hope will be something like the Edition X

Having had the HD600 and the LCD-2, I cannot imagine ever listening to the 600s with the LCD's sitting around. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #5,490 of 5,854

Having had the HD600 and the LCD-2, I cannot imagine ever listening to the 600s with the LCD's sitting around. 

Well, I might change the idea of what HPs over time, but a limitation to 4 is a clear thing for me :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back