Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Aug 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #5,296 of 5,854
Senenheiser could really care less about resale value on a discontinued item. They are focused on maximizing revenue and profit for their shareholders, if they can make an Orpheous successor, that will profit the company, they will do it.

I dunno. Far less sales due to a much higher price than their other stuff could result in potentially less profits. And the latest rumor is that the Orpheus successor will cost $40,000-50,000. Let's say that rumor is true. Well, it's hard to say how much profit they'd make, but they definitely wouldn't sell it to many people. If they instead simply start making the original Orpheus again, at a lower price than originally, that would be awesome...but again, even if they could make it for cheaper nowadays, there's the issue of higher production cost than their other products, lower production volume, and less sales volume. It's impossible to guarantee a profit in any business venture. I heard they didn't even profit from the original Orpheus.

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #5,299 of 5,854
Both points true, but the initial Post included Senenheiser being concerned with the resale value of the original. The point was that that is not part of what they would consider in the development of a replacement.

Preporman is correct, a statement is to demonstrate your company's capabilities, probably not a revenue driver.

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #5,300 of 5,854
Both points true, but the initial Post included Senenheiser being concerned with the resale value of the original. The point was that that is not part of what they would consider in the development of a replacement.

Preporman is correct, a statement is to demonstrate your company's capabilities, probably not a revenue driver.

I never said anything about Sennheiser being concerned with the resale value of the original.

My original statement is below. (Pun now intended. lol)

Plus that could drive down the value of the original units, which sell for over $10,000 for the headphone alone nowadays.

For me, that could be a good thing, though, as long as it's the same headphone as the original. On the other hand, if they change the headphone, that could end up increasing the value of the originals. And of course, the originals would still have higher perceived collector value regardless.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #5,302 of 5,854
I'd rather pick up a state of the art Stax system.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #5,303 of 5,854

I dunno. Far less sales due to a much higher price than their other stuff could result in potentially less profits. And the latest rumor is that the Orpheus successor will cost $40,000-50,000. Let's say that rumor is true. Well, it's hard to say how much profit they'd make, but they definitely wouldn't sell it to many people. If they instead simply start making the original Orpheus again, at a lower price than originally, that would be awesome...but again, even if they could make it for cheaper nowadays, there's the issue of higher production cost than their other products, lower production volume, and less sales volume. It's impossible to guarantee a profit in any business venture. I heard they didn't even profit from the original Orpheus.

Thats why I was wondering about the orpheus with todays manufacturing process.
Call me crazy but I think the cost of the orpheus could drop significantly since it was introduced.
There may be a problem with warranty and service thou, and if thats is the case, Id understand sennheiser nnot going for Electrostats, but sticking to more "modular" hps.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #5,305 of 5,854
  I must say, your post adds to my curiousity regarding the HPH-MT220.

Read through this impressions thread to get a better feel about its sound and how it improves with modifications. I enjoy the MT220 so much that I get teased for recommending it so frequently. Every person I know who bought it from my recommendation loves it. I even prefer it over my two STAX headphones in terms of its punchy bass and dynamic, engaging sound, though the STAX beat it in most categories, especially transparency in the sense of sounding like real instruments.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #5,306 of 5,854
Can someone please lend this man an HE1000 ? We need to see what the great Mahler thinks of this in relation to the 009 MDR10 and Orpheus

He should really be sent review samples (production models preferably).  Manufacturers should know of this thread.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #5,307 of 5,854
  He should really be sent review samples (production models preferably).  Manufacturers should know of this thread.

That's a wonderful idea. We should contact the relevant companies and explain the situation to them! (Especially about how having him review their headphones on his thread could improve their sales.)

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #5,308 of 5,854

That's a wonderful idea. We should contact the relevant companies and explain the situation to them! (Especially about how having him review their headphones on his thread could improve their sales.)

Yeah this thread has well over 1 million views, and I've seen other manufacturers in other industries do something similar (forum reviews so to speak).

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #5,309 of 5,854
David's massive HP thread is as objective as I've seen on any type of A/V forum.

I have heard about 2/3's of the top 50 HP's and several similar setups and I am still astounded at how well the reviews, as they were at that time, hold up.

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #5,310 of 5,854
My go to :
FiiO x5 gen 2        $359.00
Schiit Magni          $129.00
HiFiman HE-400  $249.00
2 SanDisk 128s    $130.00

works very well together is a price performance wonder.
Jim F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back