Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Aug 6, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #5,266 of 5,854
Haha, I will come to my senses soon enough :)
Better keep my ramblings on a minimum in this thread until then.. Prime concern is surely finding a place to live that's not my mom's nor an hour away from where I'll study.

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,267 of 5,854
Haha, I will come to my senses soon enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Better keep my ramblings on a minimum in this thread until then.. Prime concern is surely finding a place to live that's not my mom's nor an hour away from where I'll study.

Yeah, hehe, I am paying rent and have roommates, but want to move into my own house before getting the SR-009.

I made a very funny post here that is only loosely related.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #5,268 of 5,854
I am in a position to get a B-stock 009 for 3500$ with 3 year warranty from a local hifi shop. My mum would KILL me if I pulled the trigger. Or something like that. Please, I need counsel :confused:

Perhaps if I sell my HD800, HE-500 and Sigma.. Yet, I'd still fall at least 1500$ short! And the summer holiday is almost over, can't work for the money.. Unless I wait a year before beginning my studies, working instead  :cool:

What would you do?

Aside: I'm in EU, therefore I can't buy used (or new) from japan or US without paying massive fees.

OK, first I am old, so take this with a grain of salt.

Your studies will be with you and of value you entire life. The Stax headphone will be fun for a brief period. Enjoy what you have, the HD800 is a great headphone. Work very hard at your studies, get a great paying job, then buy any headphone you want.

Just a thought......

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #5,269 of 5,854
OK, first I am old, so take this with a grain of salt.

Your studies will be with you and of value you entire life. The Stax headphone will be fun for a brief period. Enjoy what you have, the HD800 is a great headphone. Work very hard at your studies, get a great paying job, then buy any headphone you want.

Just a thought......

i am also old... and i second this excellent and wise advise.....listen to it my friend...
smile.gif

Haha, I will come to my senses soon enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #5,270 of 5,854
  I am in a position to get a B-stock 009 for 3500$ with 3 year warranty from a local hifi shop. My mum would KILL me if I pulled the trigger. Or something like that. Please, I need counsel 
confused.gif

Perhaps if I sell my HD800, HE-500 and Sigma.. Yet, I'd still fall at least 1500$ short! And the summer holiday is almost over, can't work for the money.. Unless I wait a year before beginning my studies, working instead  
cool.gif

What would you do?

Aside: I'm in EU, therefore I can't buy used (or new) from japan or US without paying massive fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepherte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice? Buy things you can afford. The 009s will still be there next year and the HD800 is something I could live with all my life...and I actually do :)

My advice to davidsh, stay away from Head Fi :) You're wallet will be much more happy.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #5,271 of 5,854
My advice? Buy things you can afford. The 009s will still be there next year and the HD800 is something I could live with all my life...and I actually do :)
well said I know that feeling when you get excited and really want it. But always buy what you can afford or you will quickly find yourself miserable for using the credit cards as soon as the new headphone smell wears off usually in day or two. HD800 is pretty much the king for many years you should hug them every day. Back to topic. Hope David can review some nodded headphones vs stock see where they measure up against the big boys.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #5,272 of 5,854
so I gotta ask you this why are you planning to sell ether and he1000 when they were just released ? Is the sound not of your liking. Just curious
smily_headphones1.gif
also while chatting to you what is your main headphone of choice ?like that one headphone that you would never sell.

mmm... wasn't planning on specifically selling any particular pair of headphones. just have too many now, so would really only be selling since I only have one pair of ears. all the headphones I currently have I think extremely highly of.

probably no headphone off limits for sale, but the he-1k is my current favorite. the he-560 was my previous favorite. haven't decided which two or three flagship headphones to sell, but likely will definitely keep the he-1k. I think the he-560 and ether are the easiest recommendations due to their tuning and price point. I still think the he-560 offers the best value for flagship performance at a low price point. ether will likely become one of the most popular recommendations around here as it is quite capable in the sound/comfort/looks trifecta and measures quite well. lcd-x is probably the most colored pair of flagship relative to the rest of my collection and its weight makes it most likely the one I sell first. just personal thoughts and I can see individuals all having different preferences one over another for various sonic & budget reasons.

for comments on 'all,' yes, obviously not 'all.' i meant all the flagships i have in my collection are not currently covered in his review hahah.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #5,274 of 5,854
  In the UK the HE560 are priced approx. 2.5 times the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650. In that regard the HD600 and HD650 remain an easier recommendation to jump into the world of 'big headphones'.

Even more natural recommendation for jumping into the world of "big headphones" would be HE-400i as it is a bit better sounding headphone than both Senns and has many qualities of HE-560. I believe HE-400i is also less than half the price of HE-560 in EU.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #5,275 of 5,854
  Even more natural recommendation for jumping into the world of "big headphones" would be HE-400i as it is a bit better sounding headphone than both Senns and has many qualities of HE-560. I believe HE-400i is also less than half the price of HE-560 in EU.

x2 the 400i is an excellent headphone, I have the 560, and had the 650, prefer both Hifiman cans.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #5,277 of 5,854

I also like the HE400i more than the HD 650, but only slightly. In retrospect, I thought my old modified HE400i sounded mostly as good as the HE1000 and had a similar sound.

While all those are great headphones, you can find good used HD600s for around half the price of the 400i.  That's what I did, and I am very happy with mine.

I still need to try the HD 600. But if we're talking used here, I got my STAX SR-207 for $180 (normally $390) and prefer it over the four figure flagships. (Not counting four figure electrostats, which I have yet to hear.) Actually, that goes for the Yamaha HPH-MT220 as well. I get teased occasionally for liking those two headphones so much...

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #5,278 of 5,854
i prefer my sorbothane modified he 400 to my basic stax...... I am astounded that nobody give a dam about this mod that is reversible, not costly, easy to make, ( except to choose the right thickness and the right duro, for the hifiman he 400 1/8 inches, and duro 30 is great for me)
ph34r.gif
popcorn.gif

ALL headphone are plagued by vibrations, and no  headphone cie. is conscious to the simple solution of this problem. my he 400 are now superior to my monsoon mm 2000 and to my stax.... What if i modded the stax? its more complicated i must open them... I will not try it now
atsmile.gif

read this thread :
«Damping Mechanical Resonance Distortion of STAX phones with SORBOTHANE: LAMBDAS, SRXIII PRO, SR003, SR00, the SIGMA and various non-STAX »

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #5,280 of 5,854
I recently noticed that headphone I need is have to be euphoric.
TH900 is my most euphoric headphone currently.
I really need a most euphoric headphone ever made ranking table.
Does anyone know the most euphoric headphone ever made? 
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back