Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Aug 5, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #5,252 of 5,854
I think battle of flagship was my favorite read on headphone ever. But would like to see a 2015 version with more headphones including my mr speaker alpha dog and new ether.

Someday, a valiant headphone collector will step forth and bear witness to the might and glory of all current flagships, complete with a catchy new thread title...and that person may just end up being me, if someone else doesn't get around to it.

In the meantime, the closest you can get is this:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-ultra-high-end-headphones-summit-fi

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #5,253 of 5,854
The only way I could ever continue it is if manufacturers donated the headphones to me and I would only able to add about 5 per year.  I would never ask or expect this, but that's the only way I could afford to do it.  I still have more than half the collection to reference to.  If ever this became a reality, I would feel badly denouncing a headphone which was donated in good faith, but I have to stay true to my ears. 

I am presently working on an IEM comparison but its not related to this thread.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #5,254 of 5,854
  The only way I could ever continue it is if manufacturers donated the headphones to me and I would only able to add about 5 per year.  I would never ask or expect this, but that's the only way I could afford to do it.  I still have more than half the collection to reference to.  If ever this became a reality, I would feel badly denouncing a headphone which was donated in good faith, but I have to stay true to my ears. 

Or if someone lets you borrow their newer flagships.
biggrin.gif
(I'm sure a few would be willing to, especially for your super review.)

Gosh, I wish I could afford your R10, SR-Omega, and K1000. By the time I could, I fear someone else will have snatched them up...

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #5,255 of 5,854
I think battle of flagship was my favorite read on headphone ever. But would like to see a 2015 version with more headphones including my mr speaker alpha dog and new ether.

Agreed.  If I had a Hi-Fi headphone that the thread starter didn't test, I'd let him borrow it and fully evaluate it.  I'm actually in the same state, but of course I'm most likely going to get headphones that he already covered (I'm probably getting the HE-500 next, I love that headphone).

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #5,257 of 5,854
I have the 560, but a couple of caveats. First it's not stock (grill mod, Norne Draug 2, dust cover removal), second, I am waiting for the Draug 2 for the Senenheiser. Once I get the Norne ID be happy to ship my HE560 to David.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #5,258 of 5,854
lol... I actually have all interesting/new headphones not currently on the review that I am willing to lend out. (the LCD-X, HE-560, HE-1000, and Mr. Speakers Ether). If @DavidMahler is still in NYC, I have family there which may make the process easier. I was planning on selling most of them soon, but if there is interest in an update to this amazing guide, I am willing to try to contribute.

however, I worry that the original was so good because he had all the gear at the same time and lots of live in experience with all the headphones. may be hard to replicate that now that he has moved a lot of his equipment.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #5,259 of 5,854
lol... I actually have all interesting/new headphones not currently on the review that I am willing to lend out. (the LCD-X, HE-560, HE-1000, and Mr. Speakers Ether). If @DavidMahler
 is still in NYC, I have family there which may make the process easier. I was planning on selling most of them soon, but if there is interest in an update to this amazing guide, I am willing to try to contribute.

however, I worry that the original was so good because he had all the gear at the same time and lots of live in experience with all the headphones. may be hard to replicate that now that he has moved a lot of his equipment.
so I gotta ask you this why are you planning to sell ether and he1000 when they were just released ? Is the sound not of your liking. Just curious :) also while chatting to you what is your main headphone of choice ?like that one headphone that you would never sell.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #5,260 of 5,854
  lol... I actually have all interesting/new headphones not currently on the review that I am willing to lend out. (the LCD-X, HE-560, HE-1000, and Mr. Speakers Ether).

You forgot these:

Abyss AB-1266
AKG K812
Audeze LCD-3F
ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000
Final SONOROUS X
Grado PS1000e
Kennerton Odin
McIntosh MHP1000
Pioneer SE-Master 1
TakeT H2+
Ultrasone Edition 5

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5,262 of 5,854
I am in a position to get a B-stock 009 for 3500$ with 3 year warranty from a local hifi shop. My mum would KILL me if I pulled the trigger. Or something like that. Please, I need counsel 
confused.gif

Perhaps if I sell my HD800, HE-500 and Sigma.. Yet, I'd still fall at least 1500$ short! And the summer holiday is almost over, can't work for the money.. Unless I wait a year before beginning my studies, working instead  
cool.gif

What would you do?

Aside: I'm in EU, therefore I can't buy used (or new) from japan or US without paying massive fees.

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #5,263 of 5,854
  I am in a position to get a B-stock 009 for 3500$ with 3 year warranty from a local hifi shop. My mum would KILL me if I pulled the trigger. Or something like that. Please, I need counsel 
confused.gif

Perhaps if I sell my HD800, HE-500 and Sigma.. Yet, I'd still fall at least 1500$ short! And the summer holiday is almost over, can't work for the money.. Unless I wait a year before beginning my studies, working instead  
cool.gif

What would you do?

Aside: I'm in EU, therefore I can't buy used (or new) from japan or US without paying massive fees.

I had a feeling you were older. My recommendation is to learn Internet marketing, because it's one of the few ways left for anyone to make thousands of dollars in short time. (I used to, and only don't now because I'm lazy.) Anyway...if you decide to sell your Sigma, PM me with details!

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #5,264 of 5,854
Wow, David.  You're getting a ton of Love Here.  Nice to read the nice offers from the folks.

I agree with everyone else...one of the first posts I read upon joining Head-Fi was David's "Battle of the Flagships."  My wallet has not been the same since.

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #5,265 of 5,854
confused.gif

cool.gif

What would you do?

My advice? Buy things you can afford. The 009s will still be there next year and the HD800 is something I could live with all my life...and I actually do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back