Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2,026 of 5,854
Quote:
Cold and sterile compared to the DT880s? 
blink.gif

Are you suggesting the DT880 is cold and sterile? That's the last description I'd use.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2,031 of 5,854
Quote:

I already am, jerg. But...isn't this the opposite advice to what you gave me just a little while back?

Nope. Velours are more neutral and airier, while pleathers are more coloured and darker.

At any rate if HE500s are cold and sterile to you, then half of all flagship dynamics would be -80C liquid nitrogen freezing to you. You have some very peculiar tastes it seems.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2,035 of 5,854
Quote:

Yeah, maybe more than a half... That's why I have zero interest in all those HD800s, T1s, Editions 10, AKGs 701, HE-6s, D7000s, Grados, Paradoxes etc.
redface.gif

Your user icon is an HD800... I confused. 
blink.gif

(unless we were being sillies)

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #2,036 of 5,854
Quote:

Your user icon is an HD800... I confused. 
blink.gif

(unless we were being sillies)

i assume these user icons are given at random when someone starts a head-fi account. i was given one too, was some iem which i never knew off. i suppose it was done so that not so many users would have blank icons as their user and also give the forum a more headphone audio feel.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #2,037 of 5,854
Quote:

Hell yeah! I feel the LCD-2 rev2 are near to neutrality but only a bit warm (I like it)... Still, I guess LCD-3 would be an ultimate phone for me. But that price, that price...
very_evil_smiley.gif

About that icon - yes, it was randomly chosen... I have heard HD800 once but it was too thin and analytical sounding. I do like the full-bodied sound of Audezes more. I am even happy about the level of detail, do not need anything better in this regard. Soundstage is also very nice, imaging fairly impressive (but coudl be better, that's for sure). The bass is excellent, mids are the same and the treble is just at the level where I want it to be. But LCD-3 should have the treble even more liquidy, more airy, image a bit better but still retain the Audeze sound signature.

I wonder whether it's worth 2x the price... I am quite worried to give it a listen since I do not have the money to afford them right now.
rolleyes.gif

well if you could afford them, then its good then, if not then no upgrading
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #2,038 of 5,854
Quote:
Nope, those are just pads, new versus beaten up. Tested and proven.

Then why would Sennheiser change the drivers at all if there was no difference in sound? They are made with different materials. Beaten vs new only affects soundstage in my experience. The same pads can't alter brightness no matter how squashed or new.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #2,039 of 5,854
David Mahler!

Thank you for this great review, it realy helped me to choose the Audeze LCD-2's  [size=11pt]very neutral and detailed, large space between instruments, the midrange and that dark background made it my favorite..and of course the BASS![/size]

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #2,040 of 5,854
@DavidMahler : I have finally buy a new HD800. For the moment I don't have headphone amp just a USB external sound card. The first thing I notice it's the coherency of the sound, it's not bass - medium - treble separatly, it's the full spectrum together. It puts some air between the instrument or the voice and the instrument, I like this.

I have owning a HE500, it have more lush and tactile sound, but the bass was a bit bloated and don't have that coherence between the frequencies.

I wait for a great amp to judge the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back