The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,156 of 12,992
wow that looked nice, great test but it made me wonder something, what happens if you use a DAP without an amp? like for example the cowon iaudio10, what happens if you use that on a JVC SZ1000/2000 without an amp?

Good question - and here's your answer - both videos using SONY MDR-XB1000 headphones - first video is running solely off Cowon iaudio 10 DAP on maximum volume, and second video is Cowon with E12 amp :wink:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/jrRE0hLufSw[/VIDEO]

without amp ^------------------------with amp v

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/0Um3Oqao8PM[/VIDEO]​

DisCHORDDubstep knows the score, and the answer lies in it's name - amplifier - and as in this case, an audio amplifier:

"audio amplifier - an amplifier that increases the amplitude of reproduced sound"

ie schiit gets louder :basshead: or as it's sometimes referred to as to "pump up the noise"

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/wUvC7OuqrZw[/VIDEO]​

Not using an amp on cans that require it or need driving for purpose of these bass/paper tests is equivalent to using melons as ammo for a cannon - just not going to do anywhere near as much damage as a cannonball :)

Melons are one thing, but bananas are the worst - always avoid bananas in your tail pipe, you'll get a lot of congestion followed by misfires :eek:

Please now watch this below public safety video for your own personal safeguarding - stay safe people :wink:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/6y-pdLyZPJ8[/VIDEO]​

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #1,157 of 12,992
so guys which is the best basshead headphone that does have a warm sound signature and is fatiguing in mids and highs

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #1,158 of 12,992
wow great vids (and great example :D ), there is certainly a visible diffrence between the two and the bass seem to be pretty powerful specially on the one with the amp :blink:  although the xb1000 seem to be pretty bassy just by themselves :basshead:

Going off topic here, but this YT viddy is the Beverley Hills Cop Movie track played on old floppy disc drives - awesome :D (though the mids & highs are a little harsh :rolleyes:)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/qrIvu3w458Q[/VIDEO]​

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,160 of 12,992
Jul 12, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,161 of 12,992
I wanted to bring a post I made in another thread over here to get your guys opinion on the matter (http://www.head-fi.org/t/719539/best-bass-hitting-headphones-under-300-preferably-unamped/15):

"Although I've read through and watched all of cb's and hawaiiboys videos on basshead cans they all pertain to optimal situations (amp+dac). This particular thread intrigues me because OP is seeking the ideal basshead cans WITHOUT an amp and/or plugged straight into iPhone/PC."

At the moment, I'm between the V-Moda XS, Sennheiser Momentum On Ear, Beats Solo 2, or Sony XB-400/XB-600. I'd prefer they be smaller headphones for the added portability although I'd still like to hear your opinions on both full size basshead cans without an amp and smaller headphones. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,162 of 12,992
  I wanted to bring a post I made in another thread over here to get your guys opinion on the matter (http://www.head-fi.org/t/719539/best-bass-hitting-headphones-under-300-preferably-unamped/15):

"Although I've read through and watched all of cb's and hawaiiboys videos on basshead cans they all pertain to optimal situations (amp+dac). This particular thread intrigues me because OP is seeking the ideal basshead cans WITHOUT an amp and/or plugged straight into iPhone/PC."

At the moment, I'm between the V-Moda XS, Sennheiser Momentum On Ear, Beats Solo 2, or Sony XB-400/XB-600. I'd prefer they be smaller headphones for the added portability although I'd still like to hear your opinions on both full size basshead cans without an amp and smaller headphones. 

If no amp, no budget specified: Yamaha Pro 500, Monster N-Pulse, Ultrasone Pro 900, Denon D600, Ultrasone Signature DJ, V-Moda M100, etc.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,163 of 12,992

The SONY MDR-XB910 have a good stock bass sound signature - from what I can gather, the same headphone is the XB900 in the States (I'm in UK).

I'm pretty sure these are within your budget, but may be right at the top of it.

The 900/910 cans are bit of a plasticky affair, but I find them very comfortable and I love SONY's XB house sound.

These cans also fold up into a smaller convenient package that's easy to put in a backpack, though shockingly SONY don't provide any storage bag/case with them.

Both v-moda m100 and xs are beautifully built and robust with a good sound but not as bass heavy as the SONY's

SOL REPUBLIC Master Tracks by Calvin Harris have strong bass signature if not a bit congested and build is very robust.

Maybe out of all my suggestions, the v-moda M-100 is a happy medium between the larger XB910's and the minute XS's. The M-100's are very comfortable over ear design, very robust and fold away to a convenient small package that can be put in provided equally robust carry case into a backpack and forgotten about - the SONY's you'd have to be careful with as the all plastic build could prove fragile and easy to damage.

But see if you can find a store that has a few of your options headphones for you to try them out for obvious sound but also comfort factor :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,164 of 12,992

If no amp, no budget specified: Yamaha Pro 500, Monster N-Pulse, Ultrasone Pro 900, Denon D600, Ultrasone Signature DJ, V-Moda M100, etc.

I agree the Npulse and Yamaha Vmoda can go into big bass mode without an external amp .

@Zaknin

Distortion is a big no no 

Something is not right.
Do you have an ipad?

ipad/iphone to amp to sz

settings

30Hz
+9.5dB
Q=1.000

51Hz
+7.7dB
Q=1.000

78Hz
+2.8dB
Q=5.000

My amp was dying as you can see the light blinking so the hit was dying too but it's very friendly and is not gonna distort your cans. Lets not hurt these things. You can see evrything else is flat besides the sub bass/bass bump.

They may make an app for PC? Or if you have an idevice this app with "extend dynamics" switched on will help prevent clipping /distotion 

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #1,165 of 12,992

Portable mode AND Plant mode

I have always been on-the go mobile and built the bass package around that.
That ipad app and amp combo made me reconsider the need for rec's with the "plant" mode folks in mind.
I'll add more info to that in the future and any users with good PC/Mac idevice software packages  passed to an amp that achieve good bass and control off it are welcome to make suggestions.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #1,166 of 12,992
You want "fatiguing mids and highs"?
blink.gif

sorry heavy bass non fatiguing mids and highs I what I want, so which one is the best out there to buy

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #1,167 of 12,992
  I agree the Npulse and Yamaha Vmoda can go into big bass mode without an external amp .

@Zaknin

Distortion is a big no no 

Something is not right.
Do you have an ipad?

Well, after some tinkering I have video of bass paper test,Fiio 07k  flat eq, Clear Bass +3, Fiio bass boost +8, volume 45/60, gain +6 (sorry for mediocre quality)

I think Fiio 07k is not enough to juice up Sz2k  (250 mW@16Ω vs E17 > 290 mW@16Ω  vs E12 >  880mW@32Ω according to Fiio's official site, not info for E12 at 16 ohms, but you get the point)/ Clear Bass is not good enough.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #1,168 of 12,992

Well, after some tinkering I have video of bass paper test,Fiio 07k  flat eq, Clear Bass +3, Fiio bass boost +8, volume 45/60, gain +6 (sorry for mediocre quality)

I think Fiio 07k is not enough to juice up Sz2k  (250 mW@16Ω vs E17 > 290 mW@16Ω  vs E12 >  880mW@32Ω according to Fiio's official site, not info for E12 at 16 ohms, but you get the point)/ Clear Bass is not good enough.

Hey now!!
 ​
 ​
 ​

Nice.

Q#1
Are those stock pads?
If so that would be the first thing on the checklist before anything else.
The stock pads are ass. Pure ass.
 ​

Q#2
What does Clear Bass +3 equal? 
 how much of a boost and at what frequency is that?

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #1,169 of 12,992

sorry heavy bass non fatiguing mids and highs I what I want, so which one is the best out there to buy

If you raise the sz1000 low end and leave the rest flat you'll end up with what you described.
That requires eq and an amp though.

Without one or the other maybe another set would be better.
cb has a much larger collection than me. He can probably answer that better. I'm assuming "fatigue" is highs like Ultrasone S-Logic or any can with a "V" response (the right side of that "V" representing elevated highs)

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #1,170 of 12,992
 ​
Q#1
Are those stock pads?
If so that would be the first thing on the checklist before anything else.
The stock pads are ass. Pure ass.
 ​

Q#2
What does Clear Bass +3 equal? 
 how much of a boost and at what frequency is that?

Q1-Yup,  crappy stock pads, Superlux pads are no go with sz2k, so I'm waiting for my 77x (have to import them too, not even shipped yet,duh) 
Q2- Good question, searched for a while but there is no info about Clear Bass freqs :\ At least it is better with Clear Bass +3 Fiio boost +8 that Clear Bass +2 Fiio boost +10db

Users who are viewing this thread

Back