The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 12, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,142 of 12,993

TOP 10 for July 2014 

1. JVC HA-SZ2000 

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT

Impedance:16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: Veiled , Poor stock pads.

Vid 1  Vid 2

2. Sony XB1000

Driver size: 70mm Mylar (PET) 

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
EQ: Needs (???????)
Genre' (HipHop/EDM/?)
Weakness:pillow pads absorb too much of the hit.

3. HPH Yamaha Pro 500

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
EQ: Needs (raise bass only)
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness:pad size (shallow)

vid

4. JVC HA-MR77x

Driver size: 57mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 46 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good/Great 16-20dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs (to raise mids)
Genre' (Hip-Hop)
Weakness: mids sound like ass.

vid

5. JVC SZ1000

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT                                                                                                        

​
Impedance 16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: less veiled than sz2k but veiled , Poor stock pads.

vid  vid2

6. Sony XB700

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good +18dB @45Hz
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM)
Weakness: Pillow pads absorb too much of the hit. 

7. ATH - PRO 700MK2

Driver size: 53mm  Mylar (PET)

Impedance 38 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
EQ: Needs (raise bass only,?)
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM/?)
Weakness: Pad depth. Different pairs very different sound?

8.V-Moda M100

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: (?)
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness:stock pads shallow  

vid

9.VIBE - Black Death

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Average +14 @45Hz
Genre' 
Weakness:mids

10.ATH - WS99

Driver size: 53mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 37 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Average +14 @45Hz
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness: (?)

HARDWARE USED 

DAP: COWON iAudio10

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9
Volume: 34

AMP: FiiO e12

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

* All cans tested using identical hardware and setting by 2 different Head-fi'ers  besides Yamaha Pro 500

Tracks used

This is a collection of the hardest hitting cans. Nothing more.
There are no links provided. We do not do sales by proxy. Find your own links.
You proceed with the knowledge that nothing is better than a personal listening experience.
If the bass hit you receive is not like the one you imagined or saw in a video you will be helped to achieve that.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #1,143 of 12,993
SONY MDR-XB1000
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/0Um3Oqao8PM[/VIDEO]

Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing Bass Mekanik - "Night Bass

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail​

Notes: Thought I'd see how XB1000 responded to Bass Mekanik track :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,144 of 12,993
 ​
 ​
Cuz sum cans almost made it
wink.gif
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #1,145 of 12,993
NOT TOP 10, BUT STILL RECOMMENDED!

imagejpg1-67.jpg

Drivers: 40mm

Form: Over Ear

Frequency Response: 8Hz-30kHz

Sensitivity: 115dB

Impedance: 95 ohms

Video

Frequency Response: 20HZ-20KHZ

Sensitivity: 110db

Impedance: 32 ohms

Video

Frequency Response: 20Hz-23kHz

Sensitivity: 110dB

Impedance: 16 ohms

Video

Form: On Ear

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz

Sensitivity: Not Specified

Video

Frequency Response: 10Hz-20KHz

Sensitivity: 110db

Impedance: 64 ohms

Video

Drivers: 50mm

Frequency Response: 5Hz-30KHz

Sensitivity: 107db

Video

Frequency Response: 10Hz-22kHz

Sensitivity: 100dB

Impedance: 24 ohms

Video

Form: On Ear

Frequency Response: 3Hz-28kHz

Sensitivity: 106db

Impedance: 24 ohms

Video

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,146 of 12,993

What's your source DAP - that makes a big difference in choosing between the E12 and E17

As for the pads - as far as I know, as long as they are 100mm diameter they should be good to go.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,147 of 12,993
Then I'll guess I go with the black ones. 

About the DAP currently I have no DAP :confused_face:

Well, me and HBB both use the Cowon iaudio 10 DAP with E12 amp.

The Cowon DAP has EQ called jeteffects which is pretty awesome - check the bass/paper test videos that have these two devices being used and you will see for yourself how effective they are.

If you get an iPod - get a E17 as the iPods EQ is tame and the E12 's bass boost isn't enough to get extreme bass - the E17 has higher level of bass EQ and paired with iPod will give you extreme bass :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,148 of 12,993
I can agree here, but you don't get the bass/paper test results like are shown in the vids here.  I have a 7th Gen iPod, an E17 and the SZ1000's, and while I can't handle the volume past 40, and there is some good headshake, it's not as powerful as HBB and cb3723 get.  I tried to get a vid, and the paper moves with the Wiz track, but nothing like those two get.  It's still an experience, and I'm happy with the sound and results, but don't expect the paper test results that the others are getting.  I think it's because the E17 is 220mW and the E12 they are using is 300mW.  That and Jeteffects bass boost is otherworldly compared to the rather tame iPod EQ, I'm using the Rock EQ, on top of +10 bass boost on the E17 with +2 on the treble.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #1,149 of 12,993
I can agree here, but you don't get the bass/paper test results like are shown in the vids here.  I have a 7th Gen iPod, an E17 and the SZ1000's, and while I can't handle the volume past 40, and there is some good headshake, it's not as powerful as HBB and cb3723 get.  I tried to get a vid, and the paper moves with the Wiz track, but nothing like those two get.  It's still an experience, and I'm happy with the sound and results, but don't expect the paper test results that the others are getting.  I think it's because the E17 is 220mW and the E12 they are using is 300mW.  That and Jeteffects bass boost is otherworldly compared to the rather tame iPod EQ, I'm using the Rock EQ, on top of +10 bass boost on the E17 with +2 on the treble.

This is my bass/paper test I did with iPod as source and E17 as amplifier on my SZ1000 - it's just a case of finding the sweet spot for the paper position on the earcup :)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/EPCM4R0B35s[/VIDEO]​

This is exact same equipment as you have now - persevere and a little adjusting will get your paper reacting to bass SPL :wink:

And below video is same cans and test but with Cowon iaudio10 as source DAP and E12 amplifier

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/simm2reZ-V8[/VIDEO]​

There's not a great deal of difference between each test/setup?

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,150 of 12,993
Got my SZ-2000 today, they are really awesome! This headphones just made me laugh, and this was laughter of happiness ! Stock pads are meh (why in the world JVC would sell their "premium" model with this pads, i dunno), unfortunately Superlux HD669 pleather pads are not working with these - they just don't stay in fixated position, waiting for my 77x now.

Same here, I use PC>Fiio E07k (it is bit weaker than E17) , SZ distorts after i crank volume up to 40+ (Bass boost +10, Night Bass from Bass Mekanik), SZ vibrates on the head, but can barely move the half of A4 paper.

Quote:

The Cowon DAP has EQ called jeteffects which is pretty awesome - check the bass/paper test videos that have these two devices being used and you will see for yourself how effective they are.

If you get an iPod - get a E17 as the iPods EQ is tame and the E12 's bass boost isn't enough to get extreme bass - the E17 has higher level of bass EQ and paired with iPod will give you extreme bass 
smily_headphones1.gif

cb3723, any suggestions what to use with Sony NWZ E-series DAP? Is the Clear Bass ok or Cowon will do better than that? Thinking about Fiio E12 + my DAP or just go for Cowon + e12 :\

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #1,151 of 12,993
This is my bass/paper test I did with iPod as source and E17 as amplifier on my SZ1000 - it's just a case of finding the sweet spot for the paper position on the earcup
smily_headphones1.gif

This is exact same equipment as you have now - persevere and a little adjusting will get your paper reacting to bass SPL
wink.gif

And below video is same cans and test but with Cowon iaudio10 as source DAP and E12 amplifier

There's not a great deal of difference between each test/setup?

I'm not worried about bass/paper tests, there's been a bunch on the SZ1000's, what's one more?  I know how they sound, and I know how they FEEL while listening to them, I was just saying I couldn't replicate the bass/paper test.  It's cool to know that I can get results if I try hard enough though.  Might just have to try again later. 
L3000.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,152 of 12,993

Same here, I use PC>Fiio E07k (it is bit weaker than E17) , SZ distorts after i crank volume up to 40+ (Bass boost +10, Night Bass from Bass Mekanik), SZ vibrates on the head, but can barely move the half of A4 paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you get an iPod - get a E17 as the iPods EQ is tame and the E12 's bass boost isn't enough to get extreme bass - the E17 has higher level of bass EQ and paired with iPod will give you extreme bass :)

cb3723, any suggestions what to use with Sony NWZ E-series DAP? Is the Clear Bass ok or Cowon will do better than that? Thinking about Fiio E12 + my DAP or just go for Cowon + e12 :\

Sorry dude, I've no experience with your SONY DAP whatsoever - I only discovered the Cowons jeteffects awesome bass EQ abilities from HBB - he's been using the Cowon paired up with the E12 for some time now, but in that combo, the Cowon is doing most of the magic that gets the paper going mad off bass SPL :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,154 of 12,993
I say the 55's go on the not cannons but still recommended list...... And... M-100's??? O.O doesn't really change the fact that the sq is comparable to beats studio 2.0's and it costs the same as an sz2000.. I agree though. Top ten worthy. I'd say only suggest to the basshead who wants sum swag from his bass.

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,155 of 12,993
wow that looked nice, great test but it made me wonder something, what happens if you use a DAP without an amp? like for example the cowon iaudio10, what happens if you use that on a JVC SZ1000/2000 without an amp?
you need an amp to get it up to the volume needed. No amp, no slam... Except maybe the FiiO X5, since its rated for 460mW@16ohms, and a max voltage of 8 volts p-p. That's enough to drive a k702, which is a ridiculously tough headphone to drive. Without proper amplification it is devoid of bass. It needs a LOT of power. The X5 puts out that much power. Haven't used it though, so don't take what I say as fact, nor do I know anything about the built in EQ on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back