Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Perfect Sound d901b › Reviews › gelocks's Review

It has style, it has huge bass, it has energetic highs, if you are a basshead, this is probably for you! :p

A Review On: Perfect Sound d901b

Perfect Sound d901b

gelocks

Pros: Bass extension and impact/slam is present and superb, easy to drive, comfortable enough, it's pretty.

Cons: Bass overpowers mids a bit, design is too "Beats-like", clicks and bangs due to metal enclosure, too sensitive and earpads ARE NOT replaceable!

Introduction:

I still don't know why I keep buying headphones, really! I thought I was done but no, headphones like this one have to pop up on my radar and I'm weak enough that I have to buy them! Even though I already had what I considered my prefered headphones (Ultrasone Signature Pro/DJ and MrSpeakers Mad Dogs) I still wanted to try these just because I read they were very bassy. Being a Signature DJ owner (and a Denon D5000 owner as well), I wanted to try them and verify if indeed it would satisfy my "basshead" needs from time to time.

Let's get this out of the way, I'm happy to report that they do indeed satisfy! :D

Perfect Sound Dido D901 Stats:

• Good looking usable stand
  • Green 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable
  • 3.5mm Stereo Female to 6.35mm (1/4) converter

Design, Comfort and build:

Before delving into the sound, let's talk a bit about the headphone's looks. I have to say that, to me at least, they LOOK STUNNING. All metal construction, ear cups look spectacular from any angle, the white color gives it a nice contrast, it has a bunch of different etchings with the perfect sound name, spiders, shapes, etc. and they look a bit different from other headphones, that is until you really step in close and tell yourself: "heeeeyyy wait a minute! These are basically Beats made with metal/chrome parts and a cool comfortable headband!" I mean, the cups (and earpads) look similar, yokes as well, etc. Yeah, a bit disappointing. Even more disappointing is that they fold "incorrectly" (the wrong way). Maybe they just wanted to not make them TOO SIMILAR to the Beats! :veryevil:

Like a lot of headphones lately, these guys also have dual inputs so you can use either side which is cool depending on your arrangement.

So in my eyes, although good looking, the design is not a strong suit for these...

One of my main nitpicks with MOST headphones is the comfort factor. If they are NOT comfortable I don't care how awesome they sound, I wont keep them. Even though these are mostly made of metal and the earpads don't really articulate that much, they are actually comfortable (at least I find them more comfortable than the Ultrasone line.) They don't clamp as much so that's probably why they feel good while wearing them. No pressure up top (unlike headphones such as Yamaha Pro 500) either. Overall I like how they feel and I can listen to them for hours!

Now regarding build... shake, rattle and roll... I guess one of the downsides of building a mostly all metal headphone is that every time you move harshly you will hear clicks and bangs all over the place. Heck, when you pick them up you might think you broke something since they make all sorts of sounds. I have to say though at the same time they feel robust, and look like they seem to be built to last. Time will tell! (at least I don't expect to break like the usual Beats do!)

Now to the most important thing... These impressions are done using/listening my usual test songs with my usual home setup consisting of: Nuforce Icon HDP --> Lehman BCL

Damian Marley - Welcome to Jamrock

J-King y Maximan - Ella me Pide Something

Calvin Harris - Feel so Close

Three Six Mafia - Late Night Tip

Orquesta Macabeo - Me Repito

Let's start by saying: Daaaaamn! Be careful when using these cans. They are SENSITIVE AS HECK! At times I thought that these guys wanted to blow up my ear drums! They go loud pretty fast from either my set-up, straight from a FiiO X3 or my phone! SO again, just a warning if you are planning on getting these! LOL

These have MONSTER BASS! Extension is superb (I can "feel" these rumble at 15Hz), sub-bass is plenty powerful (almost headache inducing when playing Three Six Mafia - Late Night Tip) and mid-bass has enough impact to take care of low bass notes, double kick drums, etc.! Reggaeton music excels on these headphones, as well as Hip Hop and bass heavy songs. They definitely are boosted (i.e. mid-bass with respect to sub-bass) and I feel that they are not super fast since there's definitely a bit of "smearing" into the mid range. Still completely understandable though, these were made for bass-heads so I wont cry too much about that.

Even though bass is indeed boosted, I don't find the mids too recessed at all, upper mids in particular (since I feel lower mids are a bit "laid-back" possibly due to the bass eating a bit of it up!). Playing tracks from Esperanza Spalding, Sara Bareilles, Fiona Apple, and other singer/songwriters, I don't feel I miss either any detail, clarity, or resolution. They sound splendid which is a bit surprising. In fact, I can say that mids on the Dido's are more up-front and in-your-face than my Signature DJs. Tracks such as "When you get back" by Jon Cleary sound very very good and fun. Piano notes are rendered beautifully to my ears, so I have listened to a lot of Ms. Bareilles as well. And talking about "in-your-face", I feel the highs have more air as well (compared to the Sig DJs). It seems there is also a bit of a boost in treble (2-4Khz) as well since sometimes violins sound a bit, I dare say, unnatural, but other than that, highs are NOT ear-piercing, they are NOT shrill, they don't "introduce" sibilance, they are detailed, extended and make the headphones just fun overall. Having these qualities (bit of a boost up-top, air) actually helps with imaging as I feel they also excel on that front and on some non-bassy tracks I actually prefer these over the Signature DJs.

Summary:

Very good bassy presentation, Good upper mids (female vocals sound excellent and so do pianos, acoustic guitars, etc.), Good highs (no sibilance, energetic but never shrill) and Sound Stage/sound separation is very good (I find them better than the Signature DJs in non-bassy tracks) and all of these traits make the Perfect Sound Dido D901s one of the best basshead headphones I've tried!

If I were to order closed BASSHEAD cans by preference (the ones I have tried)

Comfort: Denon D5000 (modded or not) --> Denon D600 --> Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro80 --> Perfect Sound D901 Dido --> Ultrasone Signature DJ --> Monster N-Pulse --> M-Audio Q40 (with Beyer pads) --> JVC HA-SZ2000 --> Spider PowerForce --> Panasonic RP-HTF600-S --> V-MODA M100 --> Yamaha Pro 500 --> Skullcandy Mix Master Mike

(this is taking into consideration both earpad and headband feel)

Sound Quality: Ultrasone Signature DJ == Denon D5000 with Lawton Mods --> Perfect Sound D901 Dido --> Yamaha Pro 500 --> V-MODA M100 --> Monster N-Pulse --> Denon D600 --> M-Audio Q40 --> Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro80 --> Panasonic RP-HTF600-S --> JVC HA-SZ2000 --> Skullcandy Mix Master Mike --> Spider PowerForce

(note, ALL of these have from good to great sound and some are "special" on specific genres, but when nitpicking, this is how I would choose them)

Conclusion:

If you are indeed reading this is probably because you are bored, or a basshead so that means that you are not looking for neutral, for analytical or cold sound, you are looking for BASS BASS BASS! Again I say, these cans deliver!

Just like on my Yamaha Pro 500 review, If you ask: "well, why should I choose these instead of the M100s, Denon D600s or any other "bassy" headphone?

And the answer is always, depends on what you are looking for... Some people like different styles, some people have different ear/head shapes, some people like more/different accessories, some people might value comfort more than anything else, etc. As above, if only interested in the best sound, I WOULD rate these VERY HIGHLY over most basshead headphones I've tried with the exception of the Ultrasone Signature DJs and the Denon D5000.

The other usual question would be: "So should I pay $800 for basshead headphones?"

And I would say... if you can get the Ultrasone Signature DJs for similar price, well... go for those! :p

But in reality the law of diminishing returns is VERY real and you might find similar enjoyment from the V-moda M100s or even the Monster N-Pulse headphones (which I do liked QUITE A LOT and got them cheap!), it's up to each individual to choose whether they like the design, whether they can actually hear the differences and then decide if the difference in price is worth it or not.

I have to say though, to me, and after side by side compares, THESE ARE WORTH every penny!

As always YMMV, it all depends on taste! Hopefully I could provide an idea with these impressions and whenever one has a chance to test all or any of these headphones I have mentioned, do it!!!

Always trust your ears.

Bye.

Good to hear these hold up well again'st other closed cans in the price range!
Including Modded D5ks and the Sig DJ
These really sound like they are the headphone I'm looking for sound-wise but too bad about the noise they make, that would get seriously irritating. Isn't there anything that can be done to prevent that noise like inserting paper pieces or whatever into the springs to tighten up so the headband can't move around equally much.

I need headbanging noise-proof headphones. Signature DJs I don't think I'd like equally much sound-wise because I prefer more up-front midrange/vocals etc (some smearing is okay!).
From a pure basshead perspective, I believe they do indeed hold up well against the Sig DJs and D5ks.

RPG, I guess you could mitigate and try reducing the hardware "play" the headphones create but you'll probably end up making them stiff in the process (i.e. if adding little foam pieces or things like that so that they don't *clank*, etc.). Definitely NOT for headbangers. Signature DJs mids in comparison sound a bit laid-back, the Dido's for sure have lots of energy.
RPG, the bigger your head, the more outward compression it will exert on the headphones (and their joints).  So, um, cranial augmentation?
What exactly is making noise then? Just trying to figure out if there's any chances to fix that problem. Also I've tried headphones that "scramble" like hell in your hand with a little up-down movement but wouldn't scramble once on your head and doing certain direction movements. I don't care if it would get stiffer, I'm using Q40 with stockpads and can wear them the whole day without any probs and I never stretched the headphones because I kinda enjoy the secure feeling on the head. Let's put it this way, if I can find the headphone with the sound I'm looking for, comfort won't be an issue. The noise might get too much of a distraction though if it can't be fixed.
The earcups are the thing that make the most noise for me. I don't have a round-ish head so the headphones feel a bit loose (i.e. THEY DON'T CLAMP like the Q40s at all!), and since the cups have a bit of a range of motion, if I move hard I get to hear a bit of noise. So definitely no headbanging for me. I'll see if I can at least record a clip or something.
Nice review.  Based on your order of SQ, we hear things similarly so I continue to be satisfied with the Sig DJ.   Thank you for satisfying my curiosity.  By the way, the cups are huge!
@RPGWiZaRD, for me it was in the joints.  @gelocks, LOVE EMPIRE RECORDS!  @Craigster75, so you wouldn't want to be in a tour for these?
One of my favorite movies ever! Had it in VHS, DVD, etc. Also have the CD soundtrack! (Discovered bands like Lustre there... VERY underrated band, only 1 CD though I think). Anyway, I even knew most of the dialog... still do actually! "Empire Records open till midnight This is Mark!.... ... ... MIDNIGHT!!!" ;-)

A tour sounds like fun! ;-)
GREAT job @gelocks !! We had a BLAST reviewing these for Audio360.org, @warrenpchi and me.  A terrific read and nicely laid-out too!!