The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 11, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #7,384 of 12,991
I want an amp (+/- DAC) that will maximize the bass (so I'm assuming a bass boost function is good for that but I'm not sure) for under $150.

Not sure if amp bass boost is simply a built in equalizer. Or if it's separate.

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #7,385 of 12,991
After some research, I have it narrowed to the e17k and the e12.

I will be listening mostly from a MacBook Pro streaming Spotify at 320kbps.

From what I understand, e12 amp > e17 amp but without the DAC

- would a DAC be beneficial on a MacBook Pro with the sz1000?
- what would be the difference in the bass quality/quantity between the e12 and e17k?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #7,386 of 12,991
After some research, I have it narrowed to the e17k and the e12.

I will be listening mostly from a MacBook Pro streaming Spotify at 320kbps.

From what I understand, e12 amp > e17 amp but without the DAC

- would a DAC be beneficial on a MacBook Pro with the sz1000?
- what would be the difference in the bass quality/quantity between the e12 and e17k?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

The e12 has more power than the e17k.

If you like the sound quality of the macbook pro then get the e12.  The e12 is just gonna just amplify the signal that's been converted from your laptops internal dac.

if your unsatisfied with the sound quality coming from the laptop then get the e17k.

quantity, your gonna get more from the e12

quality, it can be argued.  Technically your gonna get better bass from more power cuz your not maxing out the amp to get to the desired db that you want.

If you gonna get a amp only.  I suggest the cayin c5.  It has a much better bass boost.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #7,387 of 12,991
The e12 has more power than the e17k.

If you like the sound quality of the macbook pro then get the e12.  The e12 is just gonna just amplify the signal that's been converted from your laptops internal dac.

if your unsatisfied with the sound quality coming from the laptop then get the e17k.

quantity, your gonna get more from the e12

quality, it can be argued.  Technically your gonna get better bass from more power cuz your not maxing out the amp to get to the desired db that you want.

If you gonna get a amp only.  I suggest the cayin c5.  It has a much better bass boost.

Thanks for the reply. I'm satisfied with the sound quality of the MacBook but I'm completely new to this type of stuff so I'm not sure what even higher quality sound would be like.

As far as the c5, I'm looking to spend around $100 for the amp+/-DAC. I don't find it sensible to spend more on the amp than the headphones, at least not at this stage.

Am I wrong in assuming that the e12 is the most powerful/bass boosting amp in the $100 range?

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #7,388 of 12,991
Thanks for the reply. I'm satisfied with the sound quality of the MacBook but I'm completely new to this type of stuff so I'm not sure what even higher quality sound would be like.

As far as the c5, I'm looking to spend around $100 for the amp+/-DAC. I don't find it sensible to spend more on the amp than the headphones, at least not at this stage.

Am I wrong in assuming that the e12 is the most powerful/bass boosting amp in the $100 range?

Go for it, its a good amp

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #7,392 of 12,991
I have found my way here from the basshead IEM thread. I have a set of Sony XB90s that were recommended there and they have now become my main IEMs.

I am looking to get equivalent basshead over-ears and the SZ2000s seem like the ones to get.

My question is about amps. I have an Oppo HA-2 that I run with all of my headphones and IEMs, including the XB90s.

Will this work ok with the SZ2000, or will I get much better bass by buying something like a Cayin C5? I'll keep the HA-2 anyway as it pairs well with some of my other phones.

Thanks for any advice on this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back