The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 9, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #421 of 12,991
The AH-D600. It's turned out to be a great headphone. It's bass depth give real weight to music. As an aside, I see Lifehacker posted the D600 on the top of one of their headphone lists:
http://lifehacker.com/are-beats-by-dre-headphones-any-good-1509805994

Hmm interesting......

Here's what whathifi and headfonia has to say on these curious cans, and I say curious because these cans pack more bass punch than its step up 7100's?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/denon-ah-d600

http://www.headfonia.com/dual-denons-ah-d600-d7100/

Headfonia also have a review of the AUDIO TECHNICA Pro700Mk2 - "53mm driver delivers seismic bass" :cool:

http://www.headfonia.com/bass-to-the-power-of-two-pro700-mk2/

My wallet is already getting very nervous :D

Granted that the Pro 700 review by headfonia review was made in 2011, so not exactly current date to compare against basshead cans that have followed since, but what basshead's attention wouldn't be immediately drawn to the beautiful words:

"SEISMIC BASS" ?

ad4ebf4f-4f54-4242-b420-7e9ad7652fec.jpg

I'm off now to replicate HBB's paper-on-the-earcup bass test on the XB1000's only it won't be under identical test conditions as we use different hardware - I'll be using the Fiio E17 to boost the bass and paper I have at hand is 80g printer paper - don't know if this is the same weight as HBB's or not?

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #422 of 12,991

I run a small business and do everything myself and still can go hit the beach or check 10 cans or go out to eat and have a full life that I share some of in my diary and still take time to do bass videos.  
There is no ******* excuse beyond lazy.

Put on your ******* big boy pants and take a ******* vid and stop acting like you got a bigger life than you do.
I got 24 hours in my day just like you. Man the **** up.

Took 5 minutes.
Show me better.

OUUUch it hurt like truth. (It reminded me of a quote by Nassim Taleb: "Someone who says 'I am busy' is either declaring incompetence (and lack of control of his life) or trying to get rid of you." More of Taleb quotes here.) I know I was supposed to make a 77X video, but kept postponing it. I have no excuses, such as "moving is such sweet pain" nor "why did I spend $1K for a new PC that can't overclock again?" not even "I'm not going to take a video in a room like this," nope nothing lame like that. I just want you to know that it's as Taleb said: I'm declaring my own incompetence. I did want to put something more than a paper test, such as using an SPL meter--and as time passed I wanted to do something more to justify the wait, like showing myself do absurd things (unfortunately I don't feel like it today). All I have now is ... my late contribution. I know you already did the 77X paper test, but I tried it again using Dischord's genius technique of creating a seal (it wasn't "ghetto" at all!) because my 77X requires a seal otherwise it distorts early. I think my 77X vid is really lame as it doesn't provide anything new. I tried the paper test on the SZ as well, and attempted to take a video of both playing, but the 77X was out-flapping the SZ because I couldn't get the paper to sit properly on the SZ (maybe I should've used tape, but the tape I used was too adhesive). The SZ is definitely on another level, but I couldn't demonstrate it with a side-by-side paper test.

JVC HA-MR77X paper test (nothing new, other than it shows that the 77s are not distorting):

Comment: "Took me 3 hours total lol, I'm telling you I'm not good at this. Shot 10 videos but the audio was turned off, so I had to redo everything. The 77X requires a decent seal otherwise it distorts early. At first I used plastic wrap with rubber band, but I couldn't get a seal. Then I used aluminum. Worse seal. Then I tried Dischord's genius method: clear tape. It worked. To do the paper test I had to tape the paper to the clear tape seal. I know I have no excuse for not having done something so simple earlier, as I was hoping to get at least an SPL meter. And I was also hoping to show myself as well, unfortunately not today lol." Uploading + processing, plus another hour. Wow. I need to at least get an old XB500 so I can contribute something significant.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #423 of 12,991
Regarding the measurements of Denon D600 and D7100, check Innerfidelity's charts:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD600.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7100.pdf

It seems that D600 hit's harder, because the D7100 has a dip at 60hz.

Anyway, I think the D600 don't get enough love on Head-Fi - still I checked them last week and bought them. Indeed very nice surprise.

Interesting thing regarding the sz1000 and sz2000 - if they're almost the same...

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #424 of 12,991

I would rather prefere samples with Close to the edge bass guitar, like Primus, Magma, Yey,(Fragile,CTTE). Present and Chrome Hoof (Black Gold) to Name a few.

@willyvlyminck You came to the right place! Again, another popular miscomprehension about this thread is that it caters exclusively to rap, hip-hop, EDM, and other bass driven genres. I listen to everything, but I am crazy over double pedal drumming--which forms the backbone of most metal music nowadays. (Basically, I want the double pedals to hit hard and deep like the standard rap and hip-hop beat going at 300 BPM, so I require EQ.) As for bass guitar, my favorite bassists are Masaki of Animetal, John Myung of DT/Liquid Tension Experiment, Victor Wooten, and believe it or not, Yngwie Malmsteen (who is as good a bassist as he is a virtuoso guitarist). Regarding my knowledge of progressive rock, it is limited to bands that also cross the metal boundary such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth, Tool, Queensryche, a little bit of maudlin of the Well and Pain of Salvation, a recent introduction to Strapping Young Lads, etc. One strictly metal progressive act I love is Death (death metal band with Chuck Schuldiner), and there may be others I won't forgive myself for forgetting (such as Orphaned Land but they are closer to being black metal). So ... it's more about you introducing new music to me than you getting help from me lol!

You mentioned specifically in your other posts about wanting "to hear the bass guitar as it is meant to be" and "bass should be there when demanded"--about "bass [being] more than just rhythm and should Sound clear and realistic, but with the necessary ambiance." I don't know if you strictly prefer original recordings, or you are open to EQing and other DSP filters to make bass tracks more prominent in ANY song. Regardless, the JVC HA-SZ2000 was designed to articulate the low frequencies as realistically as possible--and Hawaiibadboy has demonstrated the SZ's low frequency capabilities in this thread. You can literally see the paper vibrating in the visceral test (to demonstrate how loud low frequencies FEEL on your SKIN). Could you post specific songs that you want me to EQ? Are you okay with the "Maximum Bass Extreme" EQ? Or do you just want me to give you my opinion of how those samples sound in the SZ?

Speaking of double pedal drumming, one of my favorite drummers is Thomen Stauch of Blind Guardian. My first PC subwoofer (cheap Logitech, not the legendary Z-5500 which I have) always failed to play the intro to "Script for My Requiem" either because Thomen's double pedal drumming was too dynamic both in speed and melody (yes, melody!) OR I just didn't know how to calibrate my cheap subwoofer. Download this test track and try listening at 0:25-0:27--just 2 seconds.

In any case, please post some of your favorite songs so we can test them/learn about them. This applies to everyone. I need more music recommendations! I already got Wiz Khalifa's discography even his drum loops CD. The following is still my favorite Wiz Khalifa song:

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #425 of 12,991

Hey HBB, thanks for the PM making things clear :)

By the way, I think I found another quite nice test track.

Can't believe the amount of bass in it.. For a child's game LOL.

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #426 of 12,991

Comment: "Took me 3 hours total lol, I'm telling you I'm not good at this. Shot 10 videos but the audio was turned off, so I had to redo everything. T

Thanks for taking the time! I got so used to doing it I have gotten faster at it maybe!  Thanks again!!
beerchug.gif
  Glad you're back....you're a certified bass lunatic. Rare breed. 

Regarding the measurements of Denon D600 and D7100, check Innerfidelity's charts:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD600.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7100.pdf

It seems that D600 hit's harder, because the D7100 has a dip at 60hz.

Anyway, I think the D600 don't get enough love on Head-Fi - still I checked them last week and bought them. Indeed very nice surprise.

Interesting thing regarding the sz1000 and sz2000 - if they're almost the same...

@PsiCore

I try to stay away from charts or reviews as they will color my impression. The sz rocked me partly because I was totally surprised by them.

I will not even check the pdf's
tongue.gif

I don't know what others say but on my hardware on my settings the 600 were making me smile more than any other Denon.

Hmm interesting......

Here's what whathifi and headfonia has to say on these curious cans, and I say curious because these cans pack more bass punch than its step up 7100's?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/denon-ah-d600

http://www.headfonia.com/dual-denons-ah-d600-d7100/

Headfonia also have a review of the AUDIO TECHNICA Pro700Mk2 - "53mm driver delivers seismic bass" 
cool.gif

http://www.headfonia.com/bass-to-the-power-of-two-pro700-mk2/

My wallet is already getting very nervous 
biggrin.gif

Granted that the Pro 700 review by headfonia review was made in 2011, so not exactly current date to compare against basshead cans that have followed since, but what basshead's attention wouldn't be immediately drawn to the beautiful words:

"SEISMIC BASS" ?
ad4ebf4f-4f54-4242-b420-7e9ad7652fec.jpg

I'm off now to replicate HBB's paper-on-the-earcup bass test on the XB1000's only it won't be under identical test conditions as we use different hardware - I'll be using the Fiio E17 to boost the bass and paper I have at hand is 80g printer paper - don't know if this is the same weight as HBB's or not?

@cb3723

I think you won't get harder hits than the sz2k, 77x or XB100 on any other cans. The list is relative to the competition. It says as much about the bass head landscape as anything else. The 700mk2 padding is not optimal but they do hammer. The Denon 600..I dunno...they hit better than the bass can ravers with my equipment and my settings. I won't click your links because I don't wanna be influenced by anything besides my ears. The 600 hit better than the 7100 (if they say that or not...I'd question their level of pushing)
Looking forward to your vid  

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #427 of 12,991
BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE XB1000!

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Dvi8eTlXhB8[/VIDEO]​

Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used
No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source: iPod Touch with EQ set to bass boost, playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

Amp: FiioE17 with bass EQ to max setting 10 and 6dB gain

Recommend: Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail

Notes: You Know You're A Basshead when you put up bass test videos onto HBB's Extreme Basshead Thread :D :wink:

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #428 of 12,991

Test Conditions

Source: iPod Touch with EQ set to bass boost, playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

Recommend: Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations

Notes: You Know You're A Basshead when you put up bass test videos onto HBB's Extreme Basshead Thread
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Those are ******* enormous.

I'll do a rev 2.0 of the list. Any other cans you own that you wanna try....feel free
L3000.gif

I have been using the exact same piece since my first test. It's just bigger than the pads. Pinched on one side by the opposing cup/pad.

That looks like a full sized A4 in your test.....dear lord
biggrin.gif

You the man bro! You just put a visual on a can that had adjectives and a paper in cup test which it too damned easy. You just helped everyone and anyone wanting to know what the XB1000.
You're a basshead.  Hard to believe you won't get curious and try this on other cans. With a smaller paper. I can see the future......I see you putting a paper on another set of pads....

I'm a psychic and stuff
biggrin.gif

Those monsters are list bound. Give me a day and it'll be updated cuz you showed. 

To others out in headphone land. Nobody gives a **** what you say....show it like cb just did.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #429 of 12,991

Those are ******* enormous.

I'll do a [COLOR=FF0000]rev 2.0[/COLOR] of the list. Any other cans you own that you wanna try....feel free:L3000:

I have been using the exact same piece since my first test. It's just bigger than the pads. Pinched on one side by the opposing cup/pad.

That looks like a full sized A4 in your test.....dear lord:D

You the man bro! You just put a visual on a can that had adjectives and a paper in cup test which it too damned easy. You just helped everyone and anyone wanting to know what the XB1000.
You're a basshead.  Hard to believe you won't get curious and try this on other cans. With a smaller paper. I can see the future......I see you putting a paper on another set of pads....

I'm a psychic and stuff:D  

Those monsters are list bound. Give me a day and it'll be updated cuz you showed. 

To others out in headphone land. Nobody gives a **** what you say....show it like cb just did.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/3bHcs3ae05g[/VIDEO]​

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #430 of 12,991
As for the sz1000 over time...I dunno? I don't rec them or anything else. No links no prices no advice unless asked. The SZ1000 are basshead friendly...that i can confirm.

I can probably buy them and check them out... (I'm actually kind of bored and need a new headphone buy anyway...)
Wondering if they are as "warm" as their sz2000 counterpart throughout the whole spectrum...

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Recommend: Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail

Notes: You Know You're A Basshead when you put up bass test videos onto HBB's Extreme Basshead Thread
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

LOL!!!!!
I need to do this darn it! But I'm wondering if it even works without EQ'ing.
I don't like EQ'ing, and even though I don't EQ, I actually cut tiny pieces of paper and placed them on the JVC DX700 and they were kind of jumping/moving around a bit! So it might work with a few I have?

We'll see...
Bye.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #432 of 12,991

​

TOP 10 for June 2014 (REV2)

* Using 70Hz "Hit" and a* 35Hz "Hit"as comparative test. All listed cans compared with a Cowon DAP Settings= Flat 5 band Eq/BBE+10 Mach3Bass+8 e12 amp +16dB gain on. Bast boost switch on

1. JVC HA-SZ2000 

Peerless sub bass and entire 18-120Hz response. Final option for chronic basshead. 

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT

Impedance:16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: Sub>>Mid transition. , Poor stock pads.

2. JVC SZ1000

Nearly identical to Sz2000.
Only difference is force of bass at very high low end gain.
Highs seem clearer at low volume?

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT                                                                                                        

​
Impedance 16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: Sub>>Mid transition. , Poor stock pads.

3. JVC HA-MR77x

Hits very hard. Eats good amp.

Driver size: 57mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 46 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good/Great 16-20dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs (to raise mids)
Genre' (Hip-Hop)
Weakness: Echo/resonance over takes bass response before distortion.

4. Sony XB700

Epic bass. overwhelms signature. Can be amped well.

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good +18dB @45Hz
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM)
Weakness: Pillow pads absorb too much of the hit. 

5. Sony XB1000

new on list

Driver size: 70mm Mylar (PET) 

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: (???) @45Hz
EQ: Needs (???????)
Genre' (HipHop/EDM/?)
Weakness: ...(not enough info)

Source: iPod Touch with EQ set to bass boost, playing YouTube Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level" track

6.  Ultrasone Signature DJ

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Great/Good +18 @45Hz
EQ: Needs (raise bass only)
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness ; Echo/resonance at high amped low end.

7.  Monster/Beats by Dre Pro 

(original Monster/Dre version)

Driver size: 40mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Average +12 @45Hz
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM/?)
Weakness: Driver tuned to near limit. Amping gives only some boost.

8. HPH Yamaha Pro 500

Similar to Beats pro in "pre-tuned" driver.
Headroom with amp is low same as beats Pro. Hit hard as **** though

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Average +12 @70Hz
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness: Driver tuned to near limit. Amping gives only some boost. Pad size (shallow)

9. Monster Npulse

Like the 77x hit way out of their price range and any range.
Headroom is slightly bigger than Yamaha and Beats Pro

Driver size: 40mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Average +14 @45Hz
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness: Driver tuned to near limit. Amping gives only some boost. 

10. ATH - PRO 700MK2

Driver size: 53mm  Mylar (PET)

Impedance 38 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Great/Good +18 @45Hz
EQ: Needs (raise bass only,?)
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM/?)
Weakness: Pad depth. Different pairs very different sound?

​

*ALL Cans tested with identical gear,settings and tracks.
Results based on that specific set-up.
No rec's of any cans made. No buying suggestions given.
Different equipment and settings will possibly/likely yield different results.

**These are numbered but not ranked. Besides #1 these are in no particular order
*** The next list will focus on "A" "B" comparisons with known branded headphones with pedigree. Potential candidates....claims...welcome. Suggestion box always open

Level of Hit

These cans cost 60-100 Bucks (the ones above 200-300)

Tracks used

A clipped version from 0:00 to 0:33 is used for impact  (This is tha crippler...it has ....shown the limit of so many cans I cannot count...many well known ones with nice price tags)

This track from 3:40 to finish (If they get past the crippler they can get stretched out by Wiz and Too $hort. It like shining the flashlight in the Sub-bass's face...cannot hide from this)

New test track 5/8/14

Using what?

A Portable rig designed to abuse the crap outta the low end of any can I can get my fingers on. Anywhere, anytime.
The exact same test tracks are used in the exact same way at the exact same levels. It's a "Go" or a "No Go"...simple as that.

Possible Q&A's

Q) Who listens to headphones like this?
A) If you're wondering,.... probably not you.

Q) Who are you?
A) I'm a former Car Audio IASCA dB drag competitor. I am pure-breed basshead. I'm used to measuring things. Words like "Cannon" mean nothing to me without some visual proof.
Low frequency audio signals will give you that visual. Charts, and words like separation,staging, are not of interest to me. A typical mastered Hip-Hop track is going to live along the "V" response anyway.

I live in Japan and have access to an enormous amount of headphones. I have a personality that allows me to behave in a way most would not. I take an "O.K." and go all the way with it. I do not damage cans but I could and some know that so my quest requires me to push the limits of acceptability and etiquette.

Q) Why?
A) Because nobody else is. (simple answer). Also because it's fun. I'm a basshead. Finding sub $100 Head hammers or exposing supposed ones of much higher price is enjoyable.
There is room enough on Head-fi for everyone. I do my thing.
If Audiophile Bass and all kinds with a community is what you want this is the place>>http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii
There is also a GROUP. (I'm a member)>>>http://www.head-fi.org/groups/show/34/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-group

Q) Why are these not "Cannon's" on the Wiki?
A) Good question. These are the 10 hardest hitters that I have heard but they are not all cannons automatically. Some may be as that Wiki is updated as often as possible. Also many ....7 of 10 with the 77x ,American Audio, and XB700 being the exceptions...play most Genre and can hammer. 70% of the list is not even Basshead. It's not what the cans do...it's what the cans can do. 
Potential.

(Revision 1.0)

1. In an epic oversight
          Never tested the 1Hz/1dB that separates the sz2000 and 1000. In Hip Hop with my test tracks it was nearly impossible to tell the difference. Maybe force of            impact? Highs sounded  clearer? Really odd?
In a focus to deliver the bass the brass sheath might be overwhelming the late mids /early highs by delivering the bass too well?

1. Listened to the Denons. Urban Raver and the like including D2k and was ...as a basshead...most pleased with the AHD600
    blink.gif
    . Not sure what to say but it was stout and strong and held up better than any other Denon

1. The Senn DJ cans are nice. 

(Revision 2.0)

1. Added 70mm XB1000 It was a matter of time but I haven't seen them recently and cb just put up the vid.
  2. The Denon were on here for about a minute.
  3. Suggestions for test candidates always welcome

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #433 of 12,991

Dude wants bassy cans. (Title of thread) Got rid of the Beats because other folks said bad things
blink.gif
.......alrighty. Comes back to same place....asks 

I drop a recent lunatic hit......certainly Bassy 

Get no response (see screen cap) no thank you....just skips over me and starts talking about Ultrasone 900.

So...gets rid of cans via community un approval and returns to said community to ask for help...proceeds to ignore only guy who did more than type words and btw....that vid is displaying hits that pro 900 will not do. PERIOD. 
Of course an owner can take that track and show me wrong but it ain't happening.

Good luck to you overly influenced impolite semi kinda sorta basshead
If someone tries to help say thanks ...at least ...maybe it's just me? 

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #434 of 12,991
Hello,

Quick update on the SZ2000:

Tried some old Alpha pads, trimmed a bit of the leather, took a small screw driver and tucked them in around the cup. Very, very good results. Bass quantity -a bit reduced (very small bit), bass quality- much more refined and deeper. Reminds me of going from a 10 inch sub to a 15.  The angle of the pads add to the sound stage and vocal clarity. The way the cup is designed it almost looks like they intended to use angled pads.

I am fairly pleased with the results, I am going to try some HM5 pads next and I may try a re-cable. I will post results when I get some time to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back