MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #3,842 of 9,071
+1, I also really need to know if the Alpha leak much less than the TH900 or the LCD-XC.  My TH900 leak too much and I can't use in some silent environement without disturbing the close people.    
So what is the best choice for NON-Leaking top Headphone ?    Alpha Dog ? LCD-XC ? SigPRO ?......

I don't know how much they "leak" per se, but the Alpha Dog clamps fairly tightly to the head and like the Mad Dog, which I owned before, provides a seal that's a bit like a sonic vacuum. I can't imagine that there's any noticeable leakage at close range.

I've owned the TH900 too, so I know exactly what you mean when you say it leaks, and I think the Alpha Dog's isolation is much better (at the expense of soundstage, though).

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #3,843 of 9,071
  OK! I've read through all 253 pages of this thread! (I know sad huh), man it was a minefield and my eyes are bleeding. There are some nuggets of good info in there amongst PAGES of OT stuff.

So to aid those who are new to the thread and just want to read only the good stuff (no offense to anyone) I have created a summary with links to all the impressions and reviews including some vital information. In rough order of appearance except when grouping reviews from same person. Sorry if I missed anyone's reviews, it was a LOOOONG thread...

Enjoy!

Jude's Headfi news video: Link
Jude: Link
Reiterating what he said in his video: Link
Photos: Link
Link

MrSpeakers frequency chart: Link
Bass adjustment: Link
Regarding bass response: Link
Black anodised arms: Link
First reveal of stand: Link
Box teaser photo: Link
First production model reveal pics: Link

hifiguy528's video of Dan introducing Alpha Dogs: Link
hifiguy528's video unboxing: Link
hifiguy528: Link

MattTCG Beta test: Link
Link
Link
After a week of listenning: Link

aamefford Beta test: Link
Link

Purrin Beta test: Link

preproman Beta test: Link

Greed Beta test: Link
Link
Bass screw: Link
Link

dBel84 Beta test: Link

warrenpchi with some pics: Link

Bill-P on LA meet impressions: Link

gelocks: Link
Link
Link

EveTan LA meet impressions: Link

jazzman7 Dallas meet impressions: Link

third_eye test tour loaner vs HD800, vs Sony MDR-7520: Link
Link

reproman: Link

Asr vs TH900: Link

groovyd mini swap meet impressions: Link

vaed loaned test tour: Link

ethan7000: Link

swspiers: Link
Link
Link
Link

Oregonian: Link

john57 RMAF Impressions Liquid Glass: Link

younglee200 RMAF impressions: Link

TMRaven frequency chart vs Maddog Link

zowki: Link

miceblue Review: Link

mikemercer impressions: Link

dleblanc343 impressions: Link

hans030390 tour loaner impressions: Link

and a Pony: Link

thank you

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #3,844 of 9,071
You must be listening to music at some pretty loud levels then for there to be that much leakage. The Alpha Dog hardly leaks unless you take the headphone off your head and wear them around your neck.

Not necessarily the Fostex leaks a lot compared to most other closed as they are not sealed.

In a totally silent room while trying to sleep they will definitely bother light sleepers or people trying to relax.

In our office it is like a quiet library. My colleague is only about 2 meters away directly behind me. He can't understand any of the noise but it does annoy him the sound that he can hear.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #3,845 of 9,071

Not necessarily the Fostex leaks a lot compared to most other closed as they are not sealed.

In a totally silent room while trying to sleep they will definitely bother light sleepers or people trying to relax.

In our office it is like a quiet library. My colleague is only about 2 meters away directly behind me. He can't understand any of the noise but it does annoy him the sound that he can hear.

I suggest you use the HE-500 so he can also enjoy the music.

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #3,846 of 9,071
Nov 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3,847 of 9,071

That's true for stock, but the ADs have been completely sealed. It's part of the mod.

FWIW, I always used my MDs next to my sleeping roommate with no problems at all, didn't test leakage with the ADs, but I doubt it's any worse.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3,848 of 9,071
That's true for stock, but the ADs have been completely sealed. It's part of the mod.

FWIW, I always used my MDs next to my sleeping roommate with no problems at all, didn't test leakage with the ADs, but I doubt it's any worse.

Haha, by Fostex I mean the TH900! I was at first asking for comparisons for leak from the TH900/Alpha Dog
regular_smile .gif

Thanks for all your replies though, seems like the Alpha would be a good option for the office to try out. Should purchase one in a few weeks.

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #3,849 of 9,071
The leakage on the AD is very minimal, even less so than the T50RP/Mad Dog.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #3,850 of 9,071
Heard AD at the NYC meet yesterday driven by Liquid Gold with 2 sets of tubes (I prefer with small ones and Dan too) , portable setup and Shiit stack and compared to MD. I prefer MD only with Schiit stack but I think it's only because Lyr had stock tubes. Until version 3.2 MD had not enough bass for me but 3.2 has what I'm looking for but after trying AD at 2 meets with so many different setups I would get AD over MD. They have excellent comfort and isolation and don't feel heavy compared to HE-400/500 LCDs Abyss

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #3,851 of 9,071
Heard AD at the NYC meet yesterday driven by Liquid Glass with 2 sets of tubes (I prefer with small ones and Dan too) , portable setup and Shiit stack and compared to MD. I prefer MD only with Schiit stack but I think it's only because Lyr had stock tubes. Until version 3.2 MD had not enough bass for me but 3.2 has what I'm looking for but after trying AD at 2 meets with so many different setups I would get AD over MD. They have excellent comfort and isolation and don't feel heavy compared to HE-400/500 LCDs Abyss

Fixed that for you. :wink_face:

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #3,852 of 9,071
Heard AD at the NYC meet yesterday driven by Liquid Glass with 2 sets of tubes (I prefer with small ones and Dan too) , portable setup and Shiit stack and compared to MD. I prefer MD only with Schiit stack but I think it's only because Lyr had stock tubes. Until version 3.2 MD had not enough bass for me but 3.2 has what I'm looking for but after trying AD at 2 meets with so many different setups I would get AD over MD. They have excellent comfort and isolation and don't feel heavy compared to HE-400/500 LCDs Abyss

Fixed that for you. :wink_face:

Thanks and sorry for mistake

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #3,853 of 9,071
I Heard the SigPro this WK and Liked it. Also i Liked the fact that it do NOT LEAK sound, so i Will be able to use it in bed when... My wife sleep. ( which is not possible with my TH900)

Question: does the ALPHA DOG leak more than the SigPro ? And what about the new Audeze XC closed version ?

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #3,854 of 9,071
When I ordered my Alpha Dogs at the end of August I hadn't seen Jude's video or read anything about them. It was some positive comments about the Mad Dogs that had taken me to the Mr Speakers website. I was after a good closed back headphone to pair with my forthcoming CEntrance HiFi-M8. Delivery on the Alpha Dogs indicated that I should have them about the time my HiFi-M8 was due to arrive. Dan shipped my Alpha Dogs just before he flew off to Japan for the Headphone Festival. The Alpha Dogs arrived last Monday.

I plugged the Alpha Dogs into HiFi-M8 using the same settings I'd been using with my HD600's and selected the last track I'd played on my iPod Classic, Dire Straits - Rome and Juliet. Initial impressions were of a quieter, leaner but quite detailed and spacious sound. Not quite what I was expecting and not much in way of bass. Okay, need to play something different, Nik Bärtsch's Ronin - Live, that'll tell me what these phones about.
Yep, that's more like it, we definitely have bass and it goes deep. A nice clear and spacious sound too. I played a few more things that left me with the feeling that the overall sound balance was a little light somewhere in the midrange but decided that might be due to the HiFi-M8 which was still quite new. I decided to continue listening on my main rig.

Moving to my main rig confirmed that what I was hearing was due mainly to the HiFi-M8 and not the Alpha Dogs. I found the Alpha Dogs very smooth and easy to listen to, fuller and more even sounding though perhaps not quite so spacious sounding as on the HiFi-M8. How did they compare to my other headphones? I only made a brief comparison to my LCD-2's but that was enough to convince me that two are quite different.
I think the Alpha Dogs are closer in character to my HD800's than they are the LCD-2's and they are perhaps closer still to my HD600's. Up until yesterday I'd have put the HD800's comfortably ahead of the Alpha Dogs along with the HD600's. The LCD-2's remaining something of a wild card.

Yesterday I swapped the Chord DAC that I usually use with my main headphone rig for my Metrum Octave Mk2. To put it simply the Alpha Dogs have amazing synergy with this DAC. Everything just sounds right with this combination.

What you hear with the Alpha Dogs is very dependant on what comes before them.  

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,855 of 9,071
We've all spent much time comparing the AD's to headphones at the top of the heap, which speaks well of the ADs. I am really interested in comparisons down hill a ways. Say closed cans $600 down to $250 or so. I will go for the AD's, but since I like to keep my stuff in great condition, I'm also looking for a good pair of traveling and office cans down in the $250-ish range. I know I like the ADs, MDs. I also know I don't want on ears. If any of you out there have some comparisons and comments, please share, but please stay on topic with reference to the ADs. Note - pretty familiar wit the HD25-1-ii and the Beyer 1350's. Kinda done with those two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back