Thanks for the initial impressions.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Alpha Dogs vs Open Cans? Last post on 12/7/14 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- CIEM vs Full Sized Last post on 12/11/14 at 10:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best recommendation for budget closed full size over the ear headphones under $25 Last post on 11/5/14 at 9:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs Vs. Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI Last post on 11/24/14 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread Last post on Today at 2:06 am in Headphones (full-size)
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
Wonderful headset. Very underrated because razer gets a lot of hate for being mainstream
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 198
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Uhhh, Mike, you ARE an audio junkie...
Enjoy them, I'll look forward to your feedback. I'm still trying to decide whether to upgrade or just buy a pair.
I foolishly did not preorder them, so sadly it is going to be a bit before mine arrive. But I will definitely be comparing them!!
While I have not heard too many different headphones, the FR graphs have proven to be quite reliable for me with the headphones I have heard when compared to the plots I see on the graphs. I often wonder how much my ears/brain play a part in this, as an 80dB tone at 200 Hz is quite comfortable to me, while at 2K-6K Hz at a similar dB, it seems blaring and much too loud. My hearing appears to be so much more sensitive at the mid-frequencies, and this may be part of the reason why I seem prefer a more V-shaped sound signature.
I am just curious how you picked that frequency, considering that - for example - bass (kick) drum and bass guitar are both entirely above 40 hz...
Edited by kstuart - 10/15/13 at 7:42pm
Mine is arriving tomorrow too, package was released by Australian customs this morning. Words cannot describe my anticipation.
I will probably be the first Alpha Dog owner in Australia.
Regardless, the pattern definitely looks very similar to other MD measurements, except in this case the midrange with AD seems much more in-line with the rest of the FR (MD's midrange had a bit of a hill around 800 Hz with purrin's measurements), and overall sweeping balance seems better, though to really see we'd need side-by-side comparison either all with your measurements or another sources.
Keep in mind the MD measurements purrin did were with my MD 3.0. Based on Dan's comparison measurements from 3.0-3.2, I think that midrange "hill" on purrin's measurements was mostly smoothed out with the 3.2 revision. The 3.2 revision certainly sounded smoother overall.
I still wouldn't compare the two though, Purrin's compensation is based off a pair of neutral measuring speakers, so what's flatter on his graphs is flat like a speaker measurement. Something truly comparable would be a measurement by Dan of the MD and then the AD using the same measuring method and Y window. (The purpose of this graph wasn't to compare the two headphones, but to show that 90db window can make things look very flat)
Yes, they both use different measurement systems and techniques, so they can't be directly compared (though you can make SOME basic cross comparisons). Not to mention purrin recently changed his methods, and it looks like he's still tweaking those a bit.
One would think that bass is entirely above 40 Hz, but in some genres, bands down-tune, which can extend bass guitar well below 40 Hz.
Still, nit-picky silliness aside (on my part) you are entirely right, as I was making the most conservative guess possible. I thought writing 'no bass below 60 Hz' would be irresponsible, since I had no means of measuring. So- I chose 40 Hz as a way to express the issue without running into the danger of hyperbole. I'm not good at avoiding hyperbole, so I need the practice
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review) 40 seconds ago
- › HD600 vs DT990 Pro 58 seconds ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Head-Fi Art Club 2 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)