Thanks for the initial impressions.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Should i keep the Fostex T50RP and try to mod them OR buy something else for less than $500? Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Combined DAC+amp needed - tubes for under $600? Last post on 2/19/15 at 10:52pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amping the Alpha Dogs Last post on 2/11/15 at 6:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I need some help recognizing some headphones from a video! Last post on 2/12/15 at 6:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Silver Dragon v3 Headphone Cable for Mr Speaker Alpha Dog (RSA male connector) Last post on 2/11/15 at 9:42am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
AK120II and Pono player combined review
EarTech Music have you ever heard of them or Ear Technology Corporation well me neither. This review is for EarTech Music Dual driver custom in ear monitor. I ran upon this company one day while I...
Setup: System #1: Macbook Pro Retina, Fidelia Software, Fiio e17 Alpen System #2: Mac Pro, Fidelia Software, Headphone Out or Fiio e17/E09K combo Some of the tracks used to...
WHY THESE? The kind people on iBuyGou (www.ibuygou.com) kindly offered me a pair of Xiaomi-like headphones to review here, as I actively have been using my Pistons the last year, and as these...
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 198
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Uhhh, Mike, you ARE an audio junkie...
Enjoy them, I'll look forward to your feedback. I'm still trying to decide whether to upgrade or just buy a pair.
I foolishly did not preorder them, so sadly it is going to be a bit before mine arrive. But I will definitely be comparing them!!
While I have not heard too many different headphones, the FR graphs have proven to be quite reliable for me with the headphones I have heard when compared to the plots I see on the graphs. I often wonder how much my ears/brain play a part in this, as an 80dB tone at 200 Hz is quite comfortable to me, while at 2K-6K Hz at a similar dB, it seems blaring and much too loud. My hearing appears to be so much more sensitive at the mid-frequencies, and this may be part of the reason why I seem prefer a more V-shaped sound signature.
I am just curious how you picked that frequency, considering that - for example - bass (kick) drum and bass guitar are both entirely above 40 hz...
Edited by kstuart - 10/15/13 at 7:42pm
Mine is arriving tomorrow too, package was released by Australian customs this morning. Words cannot describe my anticipation.
I will probably be the first Alpha Dog owner in Australia.
Regardless, the pattern definitely looks very similar to other MD measurements, except in this case the midrange with AD seems much more in-line with the rest of the FR (MD's midrange had a bit of a hill around 800 Hz with purrin's measurements), and overall sweeping balance seems better, though to really see we'd need side-by-side comparison either all with your measurements or another sources.
Keep in mind the MD measurements purrin did were with my MD 3.0. Based on Dan's comparison measurements from 3.0-3.2, I think that midrange "hill" on purrin's measurements was mostly smoothed out with the 3.2 revision. The 3.2 revision certainly sounded smoother overall.
I still wouldn't compare the two though, Purrin's compensation is based off a pair of neutral measuring speakers, so what's flatter on his graphs is flat like a speaker measurement. Something truly comparable would be a measurement by Dan of the MD and then the AD using the same measuring method and Y window. (The purpose of this graph wasn't to compare the two headphones, but to show that 90db window can make things look very flat)
Yes, they both use different measurement systems and techniques, so they can't be directly compared (though you can make SOME basic cross comparisons). Not to mention purrin recently changed his methods, and it looks like he's still tweaking those a bit.
One would think that bass is entirely above 40 Hz, but in some genres, bands down-tune, which can extend bass guitar well below 40 Hz.
Still, nit-picky silliness aside (on my part) you are entirely right, as I was making the most conservative guess possible. I thought writing 'no bass below 60 Hz' would be irresponsible, since I had no means of measuring. So- I chose 40 Hz as a way to express the issue without running into the danger of hyperbole. I'm not good at avoiding hyperbole, so I need the practice
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › What does science think I should buy in the head fi market? 31 seconds ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 36 seconds ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 45 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 50 seconds ago
- › Special HDtracks Sale Plus New Led Zeppelin! 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 1 minute ago
- › Are the Audio Technica ATH50s discontinued? 2 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 24 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 2 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3