Thanks for the initial impressions.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Are the Fostex T50rp really worth 200$ ??? (ready for controversy? :-) Last post on 6/10/14 at 10:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best headphone driver element you can buy for DIY? Last post on 6/6/14 at 9:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Arrived @ Lower Budget End Game By Surprise Last post on 5/25/14 at 12:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fostex T50RP with Asustek Xonar Essence STX Last post on 5/23/14 at 9:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will my modded T50RPs benefit from DAC + AMP? Last post on 5/11/14 at 7:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
www.krish-tech.com INTRODUCTION M AUDIO BX5 D2 is a studio monitor,which means that it is mostly used for mixing in studios but that doesn't mean it's not a good desktop speakers in...
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 198
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Uhhh, Mike, you ARE an audio junkie...
Enjoy them, I'll look forward to your feedback. I'm still trying to decide whether to upgrade or just buy a pair.
I foolishly did not preorder them, so sadly it is going to be a bit before mine arrive. But I will definitely be comparing them!!
While I have not heard too many different headphones, the FR graphs have proven to be quite reliable for me with the headphones I have heard when compared to the plots I see on the graphs. I often wonder how much my ears/brain play a part in this, as an 80dB tone at 200 Hz is quite comfortable to me, while at 2K-6K Hz at a similar dB, it seems blaring and much too loud. My hearing appears to be so much more sensitive at the mid-frequencies, and this may be part of the reason why I seem prefer a more V-shaped sound signature.
I am just curious how you picked that frequency, considering that - for example - bass (kick) drum and bass guitar are both entirely above 40 hz...
Edited by kstuart - 10/15/13 at 7:42pm
Mine is arriving tomorrow too, package was released by Australian customs this morning. Words cannot describe my anticipation.
I will probably be the first Alpha Dog owner in Australia.
Regardless, the pattern definitely looks very similar to other MD measurements, except in this case the midrange with AD seems much more in-line with the rest of the FR (MD's midrange had a bit of a hill around 800 Hz with purrin's measurements), and overall sweeping balance seems better, though to really see we'd need side-by-side comparison either all with your measurements or another sources.
Keep in mind the MD measurements purrin did were with my MD 3.0. Based on Dan's comparison measurements from 3.0-3.2, I think that midrange "hill" on purrin's measurements was mostly smoothed out with the 3.2 revision. The 3.2 revision certainly sounded smoother overall.
I still wouldn't compare the two though, Purrin's compensation is based off a pair of neutral measuring speakers, so what's flatter on his graphs is flat like a speaker measurement. Something truly comparable would be a measurement by Dan of the MD and then the AD using the same measuring method and Y window. (The purpose of this graph wasn't to compare the two headphones, but to show that 90db window can make things look very flat)
Yes, they both use different measurement systems and techniques, so they can't be directly compared (though you can make SOME basic cross comparisons). Not to mention purrin recently changed his methods, and it looks like he's still tweaking those a bit.
One would think that bass is entirely above 40 Hz, but in some genres, bands down-tune, which can extend bass guitar well below 40 Hz.
Still, nit-picky silliness aside (on my part) you are entirely right, as I was making the most conservative guess possible. I thought writing 'no bass below 60 Hz' would be irresponsible, since I had no means of measuring. So- I chose 40 Hz as a way to express the issue without running into the danger of hyperbole. I'm not good at avoiding hyperbole, so I need the practice
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 17 seconds ago
- › Westone W60 Appreciation Thread 53 seconds ago
- › [Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › Good portable amplifier for Audio Technica ATH-M50? 4 minutes ago
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › M-Audio BX5 D2 by krishtrinity1
- › iFi iCan Nano Portable Headphone Amp by ClieOS
- › iFi Nano iDSD by ClieOS
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by wigglepuff
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by cleg
- › Grado Labs PS500e by xylin6
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)