Thanks for the initial impressions.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- New York Audio Show 2014 Last post on 10/22/14 at 11:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? Last post on 10/21/14 at 7:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for gym use Last post on 9/22/14 at 3:49pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Portable/Battery powered amps with 1/4 inch jack Last post on 9/19/14 at 12:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- I am looking for upper class gaming Headphones? Which one? I posted some ideas. Last post on 9/24/14 at 8:18am in Video Games Discussion
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 198
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Uhhh, Mike, you ARE an audio junkie...
Enjoy them, I'll look forward to your feedback. I'm still trying to decide whether to upgrade or just buy a pair.
I foolishly did not preorder them, so sadly it is going to be a bit before mine arrive. But I will definitely be comparing them!!
While I have not heard too many different headphones, the FR graphs have proven to be quite reliable for me with the headphones I have heard when compared to the plots I see on the graphs. I often wonder how much my ears/brain play a part in this, as an 80dB tone at 200 Hz is quite comfortable to me, while at 2K-6K Hz at a similar dB, it seems blaring and much too loud. My hearing appears to be so much more sensitive at the mid-frequencies, and this may be part of the reason why I seem prefer a more V-shaped sound signature.
I am just curious how you picked that frequency, considering that - for example - bass (kick) drum and bass guitar are both entirely above 40 hz...
Edited by kstuart - 10/15/13 at 7:42pm
Mine is arriving tomorrow too, package was released by Australian customs this morning. Words cannot describe my anticipation.
I will probably be the first Alpha Dog owner in Australia.
Regardless, the pattern definitely looks very similar to other MD measurements, except in this case the midrange with AD seems much more in-line with the rest of the FR (MD's midrange had a bit of a hill around 800 Hz with purrin's measurements), and overall sweeping balance seems better, though to really see we'd need side-by-side comparison either all with your measurements or another sources.
Keep in mind the MD measurements purrin did were with my MD 3.0. Based on Dan's comparison measurements from 3.0-3.2, I think that midrange "hill" on purrin's measurements was mostly smoothed out with the 3.2 revision. The 3.2 revision certainly sounded smoother overall.
I still wouldn't compare the two though, Purrin's compensation is based off a pair of neutral measuring speakers, so what's flatter on his graphs is flat like a speaker measurement. Something truly comparable would be a measurement by Dan of the MD and then the AD using the same measuring method and Y window. (The purpose of this graph wasn't to compare the two headphones, but to show that 90db window can make things look very flat)
Yes, they both use different measurement systems and techniques, so they can't be directly compared (though you can make SOME basic cross comparisons). Not to mention purrin recently changed his methods, and it looks like he's still tweaking those a bit.
One would think that bass is entirely above 40 Hz, but in some genres, bands down-tune, which can extend bass guitar well below 40 Hz.
Still, nit-picky silliness aside (on my part) you are entirely right, as I was making the most conservative guess possible. I thought writing 'no bass below 60 Hz' would be irresponsible, since I had no means of measuring. So- I chose 40 Hz as a way to express the issue without running into the danger of hyperbole. I'm not good at avoiding hyperbole, so I need the practice
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Melbourne Head-Fi meet in second half of 2014 33 seconds ago
- › Can Con 4.75 - Sydney Australia meet! 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › NEW! harman/kardon CL by HARMAN headphones unboxing, review to come 2 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › IC: Montreal, Quebec Meet!!! 8 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Help pls........ 9 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)