Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 187

post #2791 of 9042

I agree with Raven. While the bass of the AD goes lower with more weight, this hp does not have d5k bass. It's more linear. Additionally the AD is more neutral...there is no V curve that you seem to enjoy.

post #2792 of 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

I think you should be looking at the TH600 instead.  I highly doubt the Alpha Dog will be 'improving' the bass by making it more closer towards D5000 quantity.

 

 

When I say "improve", I am speaking of what most have claimed between the Alpha Dog and Mad Dog with regards to the bass.  I'm just trying to find out if that improvement includes quantity, presence, or slam, especially at low volume levels.  My Mad Dogs have great bass, but for some classic rock songs (Clapton, The Who, etc.) I need to turn the volume up a bit louder than I like to hear the bass at the level I prefer.  If only the bass was boosted just a little, it would be an improvement to me even if everything else remained the same between the MD and AD.  Trying to determine if the equipment is suited to my ears and preferences.

post #2793 of 9042
Pretty sure you're looking at the wrong headphone. The TH600 makes much more sense.
post #2794 of 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I agree with Raven. While the bass of the AD goes lower with more weight, this hp does not have d5k bass. It's more linear. Additionally the AD is more neutral...there is no V curve that you seem to enjoy.

I already know that I enjoy the Mad Dogs, and I was hoping the Alpha Dog would have a bit more bass.  The reviews are all over the place with regards to this issue.  I have not seen anything consistent stated about the bass quantity, just that it is linear, flat, neutral, etc.  I don't see how the Alpha Dog bass can extend much over the Mad Dog, as it seems that the Mad Dog is flat as a pancake down to frequencies only a Blue Whale can hear. 

post #2795 of 9042

You're after a coloration in the bass.  Get the TH600.  Don't forget that the Alpha Dogs are tuned to be relatively neutral.

post #2796 of 9042
Yeah, you're not gonn get more from the AD. There is presence, then there is actual impact. If you have to raise volume to get what you want, then there is no way the AD is gonna fulfill your needs, short of tuning that bass screw a lot... and I dunno just how much that is going to add.

Again, get the TH600, or enjoy throwing money at something you're not gonna be happy with based on your needs. I know this, because you have a similar taste to mine.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 10/13/13 at 12:05pm
post #2797 of 9042
Does the bass screw give you the ability to reach the MDs bass quantity and quality? If not, then what's the purpose for including it? I keep hearing people say the bass on the AD is satisfying but linear, and NO ONE has attempted to mess with the screw and post impressions. There are a lot of us MD owners who are skeptical of upgrading because of we absolutely love its bass.

I'm sorry, but if the AD can't reach the MDs bass by adjusting the screw and not hampering the rest of the frequency then I am unfortunately going to have to pass...
post #2798 of 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

You're after a coloration in the bass.  Get the TH600.  Don't forget that the Alpha Dogs are tuned to be relatively neutral.

This is so true.  There is a lot of reason to 'hype' a headphone that is this neutral, and this inexpensive.  However, the exciting thing about a truly 'neutral' headphone, or any transducer, is how they allow the listener to really listen to the work as it was produced.

'

Sounds exciting...

 

And it is.  But only if one can suspend sonic preference while getting used to the presentation.  My favorite cans are quite colored, fun, and engaging.  With the AD's I'm  looking for a much more neutral can for critical listening over the long-haul.  But man, going from fun to neutral can be jarring at first.  IMHO.


Edited by swspiers - 10/13/13 at 12:14pm
post #2799 of 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Does the bass screw give you the ability to reach the MDs bass quantity and quality? If not, then what's the purpose for including it? I keep hearing people say the bass on the AD is satisfying but linear, and NO ONE has attempted to mess with the screw and post impressions. There are a lot of us MD owners who are skeptical of upgrading because of we absolutely love its bass.

I'm sorry, but if the AD can't reach the MDs bass by adjusting the screw and not hampering the rest of the frequency then I am unfortunately going to have to pass...

 

@Change - While I can share some similar frustration on different occasions, I think it is unfair for you or anyone to ask an owner to play with the set screw. Dan himself has stated that it is not something that should be adjusted often or per mood. I can't speak for anyone else that has had or have the AD, but I'm not willing to risk the fit and finish of these headphones to address something that clearly isn't going to satisfy bassheads. I've turned the screw on my set gently and I can tell you that if you are looking for Denon/Fostex type bass, you aren't going to get it. If you are looking for an upgrade to the MD in terms of bass, I can tell you the bass is not as warm. It doesn't have that bloom, but it still remains just as impactful and even better extended. When I turned the screw I could detect an increase in the midbass, but there was a trade off. The bass was less controlled and I could hear some bleeding. Personally I think the set screw at default position is good for the most genres. This headphone should never be considered warm or bass heavy. I'm a bit disappointed with the screw to be honest. It doesn't do much in terms of make the sound more "fun". What I found is that you lose a lot of what this headphone does good when you mess with it. 


Edited by Greed - 10/13/13 at 12:21pm
post #2800 of 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

@Change - While I can share some similar frustration on different occasions, I think it is unfair for you or anyone to ask an owner to play with the set screw. Dan himself has stated that it is not something that should be adjusted often or per mood. I can't speak for anyone else that has had or have the AD, but I'm not willing to risk the fit and finish of these headphones to address something that clearly isn't going to satisfy bassheads. I've turned the screw on my set gently and I can tell you that if you are looking for Denon/Fostex type bass, you aren't going to get it. If you are looking for an upgrade to the MD in terms of bass, I can tell you the bass is not as warm. It doesn't have that bloom, but it still remains just as impactful and even better extended. When I turned the screw I could detect an increase in the midbass, but was a trade off. The bass was less controlled and I could hear some bleeding. Personally I think the screw set at default is good for the most genres. This headphone should never be considered warm or bass heavy. I'm a bit disappointed with the screw to be honest. It doesn't do much in terms of make the sound more "fun". What I found is that you lose a lot of what this headphone does good when you mess with it.

 

Thank you, Greed... finally someone mentions something about the screw which in fact is one of Dan's "selling points" for people who want more bass. Yes, it is not to be adjusted often but it is there for a reason that seems to not help to some of our needs (according to what you just said).

 

I was not implying that people need to mess with the screw to give us impressions; just those that have messed with it already to share their unbiased thoughts.

 

And I'm also not implying that I'm a basshead. I just like the MD's bass right where it is... hence why I'm hesitant to upgrade.


Edited by Change is Good - 10/13/13 at 12:26pm
post #2801 of 9042
Screw that bass.
post #2802 of 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Screw that bass.

 

I see what you did there! :dt880smile:

post #2803 of 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post
 

 

Thank you, Greed... finally someone mentions something about the screw which in fact is one of Dan's "selling points" for people who want more bass. Yes, it is not to be adjusted often but it is there for a reason that seems to not help to some of our needs (according to what you just said).

 

I was not implying that people need to mess with the screw to give us impressions; just those that have messed with it already to share their unbiased thoughts.

 

And I'm also not implying that I'm a basshead. I just like the MD's bass right where it is... hence why I'm hesitant to upgrade.

 

All good, no worries. Yea, like I said... I'm a bit disappointed in the set screw. I don't see many people using it, and I don't think it should considered when one is in the market for a pair. It is an interesting concept, but it isn't a clean sounding boost IMO. 

post #2804 of 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

There are a lot of us MD owners who are skeptical of upgrading because of we absolutely love its bass.

I'm sorry, but if the AD can't reach the MDs bass by adjusting the screw and not hampering the rest of the frequency then I am unfortunately going to have to pass...

 

This is basically the same thing I want to know.  I'm nearly certain that I will be sending my headphones to get upgraded.  The Mad Dogs are awesome, don't get me wrong, I just prefer my D5K to them for most of the music I've heard.  These have been tuned to eliminate loose bass and they have angled pads.  These aren't exactly the standard version.  I don't think I need anything else exactly like my D5000.  I would look into the TH600 if my D5000 fall apart.

 

Half of my listening time is with my Mad Dogs.  I really do like them a lot, I just wish they had a bit more bass volume when listening very quietly.  Again, I am quite sure that I will upgrade to Alphas, as it is such a bargain.  I just don't think I will be wowed as much as some others, but who knows, maybe I will be amazed?  At least I won't be disappointed, since I am not expecting perfection.

post #2805 of 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

All good, no worries. Yea, like I said... I'm a bit disappointed in the set screw. I don't see many people using it, and I don't think it should considered when one is in the market for a pair. It is an interesting concept, but it isn't a clean sounding boost IMO.

 

Knowing how ambitious Dan is... I can see this being addressed in a later version.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones