MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 8, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #3,811 of 9,071

Really? 

I wanted to buy a T1.  I should try a AD first. 

Really!  you are taking a guy who sold his AD a few days of ownership seriously?  Listen to it first and decide for yourself.  Head-fi is a mine field.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #3,813 of 9,071

Yes, I have to find a pair to listen.

You are in south Cal, pretty close to MrSpeaker's place.  Maybe, pay a visit if possible?  I would if I live down there.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #3,815 of 9,071
  OK! I've read through all 253 pages of this thread! (I know sad huh), man it was a minefield and my eyes are bleeding. There are some nuggets of good info in there amongst PAGES of OT stuff.

So to aid those who are new to the thread and just want to read only the good stuff (no offense to anyone) I have created a summary with links to all the impressions and reviews including some vital information. In rough order of appearance except when grouping reviews from same person. Sorry if I missed anyone's reviews, it was a LOOOONG thread...

Enjoy!

Jude's Headfi news video: Link
Jude: Link
Reiterating what he said in his video: Link
Photos: Link
Link

MrSpeakers frequency chart: Link
Bass adjustment: Link
Regarding bass response: Link
Black anodised arms: Link
First reveal of stand: Link
Box teaser photo: Link
First production model reveal pics: Link

hifiguy528's video of Dan introducing Alpha Dogs: Link
hifiguy528's video unboxing: Link
hifiguy528: Link

MattTCG Beta test: Link
Link
Link
After a week of listenning: Link

aamefford Beta test: Link
Link

Purrin Beta test: Link

preproman Beta test: Link

Greed Beta test: Link
Link
Bass screw: Link
Link

dBel84 Beta test: Link

warrenpchi with some pics: Link

Bill-P on LA meet impressions: Link

gelocks: Link
Link
Link

EveTan LA meet impressions: Link

jazzman7 Dallas meet impressions: Link

third_eye test tour loaner vs HD800, vs Sony MDR-7520: Link
Link

Preproman: Link

Asr vs TH900: Link

groovyd mini swap meet impressions: Link

vaed loaned test tour: Link

ethan7000: Link

swspiers: Link
Link
Link
Link

Oregonian: Link

john57 RMAF Impressions Liquid Glass: Link

younglee200 RMAF impressions: Link

TMRaven frequency chart vs Maddog Link

zowki: Link

miceblue Review: Link

mikemercer impressions: Link

dleblanc343 impressions: Link

hans030390 tour loaner impressions: Link

and a Pony: Link

Fixed one for you 
biggrin.gif

This should be a sticky..

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #3,816 of 9,071

Alright, I've quality controlled my links, added a few missing ones. Phew!

And now the long boring wait for my pair to arrive. *sigh* I hate this part of the hobby 
L3000.gif

Thanks for all the links!
However, the freq chart from MrSpeakers doesn't point to a post with a freq chart ... ?

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #3,817 of 9,071
  OK! I've read through all 253 pages of this thread! (I know sad huh), man it was a minefield and my eyes are bleeding. There are some nuggets of good info in there amongst PAGES of OT stuff.

So to aid those who are new to the thread and just want to read only the good stuff (no offense to anyone) I have created a summary with links to all the impressions and reviews including some vital information. In rough order of appearance except when grouping reviews from same person. Sorry if I missed anyone's reviews, it was a LOOOONG thread...

Enjoy!

Jude's Headfi news video: Link
Jude: Link
Reiterating what he said in his video: Link
Photos: Link
Link

MrSpeakers frequency chart: Link
Bass adjustment: Link
Regarding bass response: Link
Black anodised arms: Link
First reveal of stand: Link
Box teaser photo: Link
First production model reveal pics: Link

hifiguy528's video of Dan introducing Alpha Dogs: Link
hifiguy528's video unboxing: Link
hifiguy528: Link

MattTCG Beta test: Link
Link
Link
After a week of listenning: Link

aamefford Beta test: Link
Link

Purrin Beta test: Link

preproman Beta test: Link

Greed Beta test: Link
Link
Bass screw: Link
Link

dBel84 Beta test: Link

warrenpchi with some pics: Link

Bill-P on LA meet impressions: Link

gelocks: Link
Link
Link

EveTan LA meet impressions: Link

jazzman7 Dallas meet impressions: Link

third_eye test tour loaner vs HD800, vs Sony MDR-7520: Link
Link

reproman: Link

Asr vs TH900: Link

groovyd mini swap meet impressions: Link

vaed loaned test tour: Link

ethan7000: Link

swspiers: Link
Link
Link
Link

Oregonian: Link

john57 RMAF Impressions Liquid Glass: Link

younglee200 RMAF impressions: Link

TMRaven frequency chart vs Maddog Link

zowki: Link

miceblue Review: Link

mikemercer impressions: Link

dleblanc343 impressions: Link

hans030390 tour loaner impressions: Link

and a Pony: Link

great job

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3,818 of 9,071
  It's my turn on the AD tour, and I just took a moment to give them a brief listen. Just in terms of sound, my impressions so far are fairly good. I will have more to say later on what they do well, how they compare to the Mad Dog and HE-500, and so on once I get more time with them.

It is important to say which amp you are using.

For example, earlier there was a review in this thread done with the 02 Amp.  Later I found some of the exact same sound impressions .... in two different O2 amp reviews.  (So, the obvious conclusion is that those are qualities of the amp, not the headphones, which is why reviewers use more than one amp.)

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #3,819 of 9,071
Quick update on my AD's.

One of the more surprising things is how these handle movie soundtracks and TV off of Hulu, Netflix etc.  Anyone worried about the bass quantity from these cans should check out the Star Trek movie Into Darkness.  The LFE from that movie causes my Emotiva Ultra 10 sub to chuff and whine and generally bottom-out. It's not a great sub by any means, but I usually don't listen to anything anywhere near so-called 'reference level'.  By the way, the whole 'reference level' thing is exactly why I do not put much stock into engineers.  Hearing damage should never be a reference.  Ever. Anyway...

The AD's handle the bass like they want more.  It really felt like I had small subs on my head, but nothing exaggerated. Crystal clear and a lot of fun. With the HE-5LE's, it's almost too much of a good thing.

The Alpha Dogs continue to impress.  And still no desire to look at other cans, which is pretty good.

I'm glad to see more impressions, ESPECIALLY the less-than-stellar reviews.  The hype isn't living up to the hype, if you know what I mean.  But I still think they are the greatest 3-D printed headphones in the entire history of 3-D printed headphones!

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #3,820 of 9,071
Quick update on my AD's.

One of the more surprising things is how these handle movie soundtracks and TV off of Hulu, Netflix etc.  Anyone worried about the bass quantity from these cans should check out the Star Trek movie Into Darkness.  The LFE from that movie causes my Emotiva Ultra 10 sub to chuff and whine and generally bottom-out. It's not a great sub by any means, but I usually don't listen to anything anywhere near so-called 'reference level'.  By the way, the whole 'reference level' thing is exactly why I do not put much stock into engineers.  Hearing damage should never be a reference.  Ever. Anyway...

The AD's handle the bass like they want more.  It really felt like I had small subs on my head, but nothing exaggerated. Crystal clear and a lot of fun. With the HE-5LE's, it's almost too much of a good thing.

The Alpha Dogs continue to impress.  And still no desire to look at other cans, which is pretty good.

I'm glad to see more impressions, ESPECIALLY the less-than-stellar reviews.  The hype isn't living up to the hype, if you know what I mean.  But I still think they are the greatest 3-D printed headphones in the entire history of 3-D printed headphones!
I agree with the hype isn't living up to the hype.

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #3,822 of 9,071
Is there consensus about the treble quantity in AD being more than LCD-2, but less than HE-500/HE-6?

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #3,825 of 9,071
Is there consensus about the treble quantity in AD being more than LCD-2, but less than HE-500/HE-6?

That is precisely what i would say.  If I need a pair of closed ortho HPs, the AD would be it.  No doubt and no hype.  I've listened to all 3.
I've been on the HD800/WA22 combo for the last few days extensively and oh boy, it's just too much goodness.  But I do wanna have the AD too.  Decision, decision... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back