Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Couple of questions about the T1's and HD800's Last post on 11/24/13 at 8:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audition Beyer T1 and/or HD800 in the Triangle area, NC Last post on 11/21/13 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphone to get? HD800 or T1? Last post on 11/19/13 at 12:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Amplifier upgrade considerations? Last post on 9/27/13 at 10:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD-2 Rev 1 Compared to Q701 Last post on 9/29/13 at 6:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 185post #2761 of 463110/12/13 at 6:23pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2762 of 463110/12/13 at 7:02pmpost #2763 of 463110/12/13 at 8:11pm
Yes I heard both the MD and Alpha Dog today at the RMAF with the Liquid Glass hybrid amp that was using the Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 reissue. The AD was superior and the MD has a sound that is more like my own Fostex T50RP. The AD sounds very unlike my Fostex. The AD has a much smoother response. Last year I heard the HE-6 on the same Liquid Gold by Alex Cavalli and I had a long talk with him today and he wanted to see the final version of the Alpha Dog and he did come over while I was listening to the Alpha Dog on a different amp. I tried the Burson Audio - The Conductor but the LG shine in its soundstage. The last amp I tried was the Schiit Lyr amp. I would put the Lyr between the Burson and the LG by preference. While I like the last year HE-6 with the LG I like the Alpha Dog better since it has a more spacious sound stage. They both have good detail. What was interesting this year was Fostex has a larger table this year and I saw a protype of the new Fostex headphone with an all metal round shell. However Fostex told me that they will still use the same driver they made 11 years ago on the T50RP! I still put my money on the Alpha Dogs and a good alternative to the HE-6!post #2764 of 463110/12/13 at 10:20pmpost #2765 of 463110/12/13 at 11:11pm
Bordeaux and laziness have gotten the best of me tonight... It's probably been covered, discussed, argued, beaten to death, but... How do the Alpha Dogs stack up to the much more expensive TH900's? Assuming price is irrelevant. I prefer a less bright phone with more emphasis on spaciousness (I know... they're closed) and tight, deep bass (subbass anyone? yes please). And then there was the LCD-XC.post #2766 of 463110/13/13 at 1:14ampost #2767 of 463110/13/13 at 4:26ampost #2768 of 463110/13/13 at 6:16amQuote:Originally Posted by TooPoor
Bordeaux and laziness have gotten the best of me tonight... It's probably been covered, discussed, argued, beaten to death, but... How do the Alpha Dogs stack up to the much more expensive TH900's? Assuming price is irrelevant. I prefer a less bright phone with more emphasis on spaciousness (I know... they're closed) and tight, deep bass (subbass anyone? yes please). And then there was the LCD-XC.
I can't answer the part about comparison to the thx00 series. I have not owned nor heard them. I have owned all the Denon d2/5/7k series, but could only compare those and not the thx00 models.
The AD beats the Denon series by a appreciable margin on "spaciousness" or sound stage. I find that it's about on par with my hd650 for sound stage. The Denon's V curve signature gave it boosted treble and bass 100% of the time. The was always sparkle, sometimes sizzle, on the treble. And there was always extra bass added to the material I listened to.
With AD it will go as low and hit as hard with material that has those notes, but it won't add it to material that doesn't have those sub frequencies. I refer to this as neutral with linear bass response. So you'll be satisfied with the bass on the AD when you need it but not overpowered with it when you don't want it. I'd call myself basshead light...and the AD satisfies me just fine.post #2769 of 463110/13/13 at 6:39amQuote:I took have the Fostex T50RP. When the Alpha Pads came out, I bought a pair of the pads from Mr. Speakers and put them on my otherwise unmodded T50RP. I too have heard the Alpha Dog, at the Dallas meet last month, and I too have compared the three -- Alpha Dog, Mad Dog (both latest versions), and the T50RP with Alpha Pads. And my conclusion is exactly the same as yours. The Mad Dog is very similar to my T50RP in sound presentation, particularly imaging, with a better frequency response. The Alpha Dog to me sounded very different, and much more coherent, especially at the low end. I spoke to Dan while at the meet, and he is very good at what he does -- he explained to me several things that are wrong with the T50RP design and what drove him to the "transplant" solution that is the Alpha Dog. When I put on the Mad Dog after listening to the Alpha Dog, I said to myself, "This is like listening to the T50RP" -- very familiar to me.Originally Posted by john57
Yes I heard both the MD and Alpha Dog today at the RMAF with the Liquid Glass hybrid amp that was using the Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 reissue. The AD was superior and the MD has a sound that is more like my own Fostex T50RP. The AD sounds very unlike my Fostex. The AD has a much smoother response.
Right now, I feel that I can get my T50RP with Alpha Pads very close to the Mad Dog through some EQ. I can't change rates of decay and resonances, of course, but the EQed sound is very very good. But I still am looking for that coherent low end. I feel either the Alpha Dog or the new Audeze LCD-XC might be in my future.post #2770 of 463110/13/13 at 6:45ampost #2771 of 463110/13/13 at 7:09ampost #2772 of 463110/13/13 at 7:57ampost #2773 of 463110/13/13 at 8:15amQuote:
Yeah Matt, I'm a little lost on what happened. Would you be willing to elaborate a little more on selling the AD?post #2774 of 463110/13/13 at 8:16am
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 23 seconds ago
- › REVIEW : DUNU DN1000 - Immensely Capable Hybrid IEM 59 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD439 review 1 minute ago
- › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison 1 minute ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a pair of High Quality, Sound Isolating, 7.1 Surround... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe