MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #3,827 of 9,071
Is there consensus about the treble quantity in AD being more than LCD-2, but less than HE-500/HE-6?

I have to agree in comparison with HE-5LE as well.  Not as much 'zing' in the treble, but what is there is clear and as far as I can tell, pretty balanced.  I definitely prefer the AD in the upper range.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,828 of 9,071
  It is important to say which amp you are using.

For example, earlier there was a review in this thread done with the 02 Amp.  Later I found some of the exact same sound impressions .... in two different O2 amp reviews.  (So, the obvious conclusion is that those are qualities of the amp, not the headphones, which is why reviewers use more than one amp.)

Is it? I think many or at least the most noticeable aspects of a headphone's sound can be determined fairly well regardless of the amp, assuming it's at least decent.

That said, I mentioned way back when that I'm primarily using a vintage Sansui 5000A receiver. I even have the treble knob turned down a bit...mostly because the amp needs some restoration and currently has an elevated treble response with the treble knob at 12 o'clock (measured it for verification, and there is no tone bypass). That, and I generally prefer a slight roll-off towards 20KHz. My other source is a Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II, but I haven't tried that with the AD yet. I think most anecdotal reports will tell you the Sansui has a warm-ish sound. It's no O2, which I did own before. :wink:

Is there consensus about the treble quantity in AD being more than LCD-2, but less than HE-500/HE-6?

I can't speak for the LCD-2, but the AD I'm testing has more treble than my HE-500 w/ "complete" jergpads (minus optional step of holes on outside).

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #3,829 of 9,071

Is it? I think many or at least the most noticeable aspects of a headphone's sound can be determined fairly well regardless of the amp, assuming it's at least decent.

That said, I mentioned way back when that I'm primarily using a vintage Sansui 5000A receiver. I even have the treble knob turned down a bit...mostly because the amp needs some restoration and currently has an elevated treble response with the treble knob at 12 o'clock (measured it for verification, and there is no tone bypass). That, and I generally prefer a slight roll-off towards 20KHz. My other source is a Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II, but I haven't tried that with the AD yet. I think most anecdotal reports will tell you the Sansui has a warm-ish sound. It's no O2, which I did own before. :wink:

I can't speak for the LCD-2, but the AD I'm testing has more treble than my HE-500 w/ "complete" jergpads (minus optional step of holes on outside).

Are you for real?  Jergpads might have screwed up your HE500's treble then  
tongue.gif
.  IMO and to my ear, there's no way AD would have more treble than HE500. 
Unless the production AD is different than the ones I've heard at the meet.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #3,830 of 9,071
Are you for real?  Jergpads might have screwed up your HE500's treble then  :p .  IMO and to my ear, there's no way AD would have more treble than HE500. 
Unless the production AD is different than the ones I've heard at the meet.
Nope, even with pleathers the he-500 DEFINITELY has more treble. Ad I think might have some lower treble or upper mids peak though?

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #3,831 of 9,071
Nope, even with pleathers the he-500 DEFINITELY has more treble. Ad I think might have some lower treble or upper mids peak though?

Not to my ears!  You listened to the AD too already at your recent meet.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #3,832 of 9,071
It was very brief.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #3,833 of 9,071
They both have a peak around the 9-10KHz area, but the AD has more of an additional peak around the 5.5-6KHz area in the mid-treble. So, the HE-500 is smoother up top, though its treble does start to elevate around 6 or 7KHz, but to a lesser extent and it's not so much of a separate peak like with the AD. The AD I have on hand requires more equalization to reach a smoother, less bright sound than the HE-500 does. Keep in mind Dan's QC standards could produce some AD's that are smoother and some that are not, but I can't speak for any specific unit (for all I know, the one I have on hand could be a smoother unit).

I want to stress that it's really not a big deal. I generally EQ the treble area on any T50RP-based headphone, and you can see I have to EQ the HE-500 as well. But, yes, the AD I have on hand hear is definitely brighter and harsher than the HE-500 overall.

I also want to re-emphasize that after EQ, I was really enjoying the AD. It was a noticeable step up from the MD, and they respond well to EQ.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #3,834 of 9,071
^ sounds about right. The AD seemed to have more prominent treble, but the HE-500 I think has more sparkle in the treble. It's definitely a smoother transition than the AD IMO.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3,835 of 9,071
The Alpha Dogs don't have as much treble as an HE6, but it does have more than the HE500. The high frequency range is more controlled on the AD than it is on the HE500's, but the HE500's do reach a little higher in freq range. 

For me, what set the AD apart from the HE500's is the fact that it images better and has a much better controlled bass without excessive bloom (we're talking about a closed headphone!). I think the majority of people would prefer the HE500, and yes, it is more expansive and impressive because of its open design; but it's not quite as believable sounding to me in terms of timbre and decay.

Both headphone are my respective top bang-for-the-buck high end headphones, but I must give the slight edge to the Alpha Dogs. Again, its precision is fantastic, but it may not win over the HE500 for most people because it remains a little more intimate and less visceral down low.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 8, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #3,836 of 9,071
My question is: do they isolate well ?  I mean do they leak sound out more/less than a TH900 ?  (I need to find a phone that I can listen in bed while my wife is sleeping, and mt TH900 do NOT allow this, she...get mad at me when I do this :frowning2:....)

thanks a lot in advance for your advices

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #3,837 of 9,071
  They both have a peak around the 9-10KHz area, but the AD has more of an additional peak around the 5.5-6KHz area in the mid-treble. So, the HE-500 is smoother up top, though its treble does start to elevate around 6 or 7KHz, but to a lesser extent and it's not so much of a separate peak like with the AD. The AD I have on hand requires more equalization to reach a smoother, less bright sound than the HE-500 does. Keep in mind Dan's QC standards could produce some AD's that are smoother and some that are not, but I can't speak for any specific unit (for all I know, the one I have on hand could be a smoother unit).

I want to stress that it's really not a big deal. I generally EQ the treble area on any T50RP-based headphone, and you can see I have to EQ the HE-500 as well. But, yes, the AD I have on hand hear is definitely brighter and harsher than the HE-500 overall.

I also want to re-emphasize that after EQ, I was really enjoying the AD. It was a noticeable step up from the MD, and they respond well to EQ.

Thank you for your impression.  That helps clarify what I am thinking.  The AD I listened to at the meet had very smooth treble and good extension but definitely not as airy and sparkling as HE500.  That's why my impression has always been that the AD is closer to HE500's treble and much more exciting than LCD2 to my ears.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #3,838 of 9,071
  My question is: do they isolate well ?  I mean do they leak sound out more/less than a TH900 ?  (I need to find a phone that I can listen in bed while my wife is sleeping, and mt TH900 do NOT allow this, she...get mad at me when I do this :frowning2:....)

thanks a lot in advance for your advices

You should try IEMs. Else, I think your wife just wants your attention. Give more during the day and at night, and she should be fine.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #3,840 of 9,071
  Will be interesting in hearing your comparison between the TH900 and the Alpha Dogs. I've got the TH900 but they stay at home, they leak a bit to annoy my work college who is on a desk behind me in the same room (been complained to a few times, room is very quiet usually). The Dogs might improve a fair bit here.

Either that or the LCD XC might get a look in for my 30-40 hours listening to be had at work.

+1, I also really need to know if the Alpha leak much less than the TH900 or the LCD-XC.  My TH900 leak too much and I can't use in some silent environement without disturbing the close people.  

So what is the best choice for NON-Leaking top Headphone ?    Alpha Dog ? LCD-XC ? SigPRO ?......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back