or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 250

post #3736 of 8840

@miceblue- congrats to you for a detailed and thorough review.  I suppose one of the consequences of placing a headphone under such a detailed microscope is that the review may seem more critical than intented, particularly since your conclusion is enthusiastically positive.  What I would like to ask is what do you consider the ultimate headphone sonically as a reference point to compare to the Alpha Dog?  Have you heard a headphone that gets everything right to your ears? 

 

Also, since we are comparing closed headphones, has anyone compared the Alpha Dog to the Ultrasone Signature line?

 

As a fan of the Sig Pro and owner of the Sig DJ, I would be curious to read more comparisons.  From my brief listen, the more forward, smooth yet highly detailed, mids and comparative neutral sound of the Alpha Dogs would be a great complement to my Ultrasone.  It is really saying something about the $600 Alpha Dogs that they truly hold their own against $1,000+ headphones.

post #3737 of 8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 

I've just discovered the album It Is What It Is by Brian Bromberg and it's my first Jazz album... I feel weird getting into Jazz as I never liked it... ever.

Slap Happy, Elephants On Ice Skates, My Bass (different album) are all great songs with that bass slapping. All thanks to Koiloco for that first song he recommended to listen to on my HE-500, My Bass, that got me to get this album.

 

I wonder how it sounds on the Alpha Dogs actually. I could see it being quite good. Although the nice bass AND sparkley treble on the HE-500 really help with these songs.

 

I got into Jazz a little late also. But now it's my favorite genre to listen to. There is something about the intimacy of listening to Jazz with hp's that really makes it enjoyable. Bromberg also has an album called Wood that is great. Check it out. Sound fantastic on the AD. 

post #3738 of 8840
Redefinition of portable biggrin.gif




N900 as transport rolleyes.gif
post #3739 of 8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I got into Jazz a little late also. But now it's my favorite genre to listen to. There is something about the intimacy of listening to Jazz with hp's that really makes it enjoyable. Bromberg also has an album called Wood that is great. Check it out. Sound fantastic on the AD. 
Ok, will do.

And @miceblue I agree with nearly everything you said. It's very accurate, and leads me to thinking that I probably don't like the sound of the lcd2. To be, the treble is the deal breaker from what I heard. And the bass isn't what I expected coming from the he-500. Either way, I gotta say, for a closed back you have so many limitations and this headphone got so many things right that it might satisfy a good amount of people
post #3740 of 8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

True. I wouldn't mind a larger stand if it had to be shipped in a different box for a little bit more dough. That's just my opinion though... :rolleyes:

 

An extendable stand would also be possible, though more expensive too.

post #3741 of 8840
Nice post mice!!!

@craigster75: I honestly don't think there is a perfect headphone that does everything perfectly. I think that's what Mice was trying to get at with his review, is that even though the Alpha isn't perfect for everything, it's pretty darned good.
post #3742 of 8840
^ the he-500 does everything well wink.gif
Maybe nothing is perfect, but everything it does, it does very well still.
post #3743 of 8840

Thanks for the nice review, Mice!  

post #3744 of 8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

I got into Jazz a little late also. But now it's my favorite genre to listen to. There is something about the intimacy of listening to Jazz with hp's that really makes it enjoyable. Bromberg also has an album called Wood that is great. Check it out. Sound fantastic on the AD. 


I've been converted from a rocker to a smooth jazz fanatic.  Started in 1984 with Kenny G's Songbird........................and I bet 70% of my music collection is now a form of smooth jazz.  Brian Bromberg is a good one....................and when I auditioned the Alpha's they do great with that genre. 

post #3745 of 8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

Ok, will do.

And @miceblue I agree with nearly everything you said. It's very accurate, and leads me to thinking that I probably don't like the sound of the lcd2. To be, the treble is the deal breaker from what I heard. And the bass isn't what I expected coming from the he-500. Either way, I gotta say, for a closed back you have so many limitations and this headphone got so many things right that it might satisfy a good amount of people
We keep hearing the LCD2 reference, at are they really that close? Apart from isolation, does the alpha better the Audeze in any area?
post #3746 of 8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post
 

@miceblue- congrats to you for a detailed and thorough review.  I suppose one of the consequences of placing a headphone under such a detailed microscope is that the review may seem more critical than intented, particularly since your conclusion is enthusiastically positive.  What I would like to ask is what do you consider the ultimate headphone sonically as a reference point to compare to the Alpha Dog?  Have you heard a headphone that gets everything right to your ears?

As mechgamer123 mentioned, no one headphone is suitable for everything at the same time.

 

I like the airiness of the AKG K 701 as well as its wide soundstage, which I enjoy most with classical music. The Alpha Dog hands down has a weightier midrange and a much more prominent bass response compared to it.

 

I like the airiness of the STAX SRS-2170 and its speedy-sounding signature. The treble sounds free of grain whatsoever and smooth for the most part while being extended and detailed (this may be why people describe electrostatic headphones as sounding "effortless"), a quality that I did not hear with the Alpha Dog. I absolutely enjoy rock music, as well as electronic music with the SRS-2170. The midrange of the SRS-2710 is more forward, airy, and engaging compared to the Alpha Dog, but it doesn't have the weight that the Alpha Dog offers. I do like higher-pitched string instruments and female vocals with the SRS-2170, but the Alpha Dog hands down wins for lower-frequency instruments and male vocals.

 

 

I do like the sound of the Alpha Dog, but it didn't have the sound that I was expecting based on the description of its sound. With the soundstage, speed, and "sounding very open" descriptions of the Alpha Dog, I was expecting it to sound airy and open like the HD800, when it was not to my ears.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
 

Thanks for the nice review, Mice!  

No no no, thank YOU mrspeakers for allowing me to give the Alpha Dog a listen!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafanddumb View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

Ok, will do.

And @miceblue I agree with nearly everything you said. It's very accurate, and leads me to thinking that I probably don't like the sound of the lcd2. To be, the treble is the deal breaker from what I heard. And the bass isn't what I expected coming from the he-500. Either way, I gotta say, for a closed back you have so many limitations and this headphone got so many things right that it might satisfy a good amount of people
We keep hearing the LCD2 reference, at are they really that close? Apart from isolation, does the alpha better the Audeze in any area?

Given the choice between the sound of the LCD-2 and the HD800, as it as mentioned earlier in the thread, the Alpha Dog sounds much closer to the LCD-2 from what I remember about it and with the gear I have.

post #3747 of 8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post
 

I do like the sound of the Alpha Dog, but it didn't have the sound that I was expecting based on the description of its sound. With the soundstage, speed, and "sounding very open" descriptions of the Alpha Dog, I was expecting it to sound airy and open like the HD800, when it was not to my ears.

 

Given the choice between the sound of the LCD-2 and the HD800, as it as mentioned earlier in the thread, the Alpha Dog sounds much closer to the LCD-2 from what I remember about it and with the gear I have.

 

Thank you so much for this post... :)

post #3748 of 8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 

I've just discovered the album It Is What It Is by Brian Bromberg and it's my first Jazz album... I feel weird getting into Jazz as I never liked it... ever.

Slap Happy, Elephants On Ice Skates, My Bass (different album) are all great songs with that bass slapping. All thanks to Koiloco for that first song he recommended to listen to on my HE-500, My Bass, that got me to get this album.

 

I wonder how it sounds on the Alpha Dogs actually. I could see it being quite good. Although the nice bass AND sparkley treble on the HE-500 really help with these songs.

 

Miles Davis: Bitches Brew Live

 

Buy it. End.

post #3749 of 8840

@deafanddumb: This isn't a SQ related point, but the comfort on the Alpha Dogs just completely destroys the comfort (or lack thereof) of the LCD-2.

 

See, this is where I'll disagree with you a bit mice. Keep in mind the last time I heard the LCD2 was a while ago on the Headamp tour, but at the time I had the Mad Dog 3.0, and I thought they sounded very similar to the LCD-2. Like, it took me a few switches between the headphones to even start hearing differences. Since then, I think the MD and AD have improved upon the overly thick midrange of the LCD-2, and I would honestly say that based on my memory, the Alpha Dogs have more treble, and better overall clarity, than the LCD-2.

 

I'll end it there before I go off on a rant about how bad the LCD-2 is...

post #3750 of 8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

@deafanddumb: This isn't a SQ related point, but the comfort on the Alpha Dogs just completely destroys the comfort (or lack thereof) of the LCD-2.

 

See, this is where I'll disagree with you a bit mice. Keep in mind the last time I heard the LCD2 was a while ago on the Headamp tour, but at the time I had the Mad Dog 3.0, and I thought they sounded very similar to the LCD-2. Like, it took me a few switches between the headphones to even start hearing differences. Since then, I think the MD and AD have improved upon the overly thick midrange of the LCD-2, and I would honestly say that based on my memory, the Alpha Dogs have more treble, and better overall clarity, than the LCD-2.

 

I'll end it there before I go off on a rant about how bad the LCD-2 is...

Many of you know I'm an Audeze fan (and, as I pointed out in our CanJam Coverage on Audio360.org, including the Alpha's - and having recently been labeled an "Audeze Jihadist" by this fella in another magazines website - I realize I'm a non-stop advocate for their stuff.

But if I didn't love their cans I wouldn't be such a die hard freak about it.

 

That said - I'm with you in some respects for sure.

 

Now, I liked the LCD-2, but I loved the LCD-3 (so you see where my tastes lie there).  I had a 2 for awhile though - so I was able to live with it and get to know it pretty well on multiple sources (tube and SS).  Realizing that we all interpret differently, I try to stay away from making blanket statements (especially in my reviews) as my "best" may not be somebody else's and "better" to me may not be to the next guy...

 

But, when I bought the Mad Dogs I thought I was getting in the ballpark of the fidelity that I loved so much about the LCD-3 - with a closed back!!

Enter wifey falling in love with Dan..  :happy_face1:

 

I loved (and love) my Mad Dogs - latest version.  I think they have terrific dynamic slam and acuteness in detail.  They are warm without being overly carpeted in the midrange.  They're engrossing to listen to.  I agree on the Mad Dogs slight edge in midrange clarity over the LCD-2.  That seems to be a magic spot in the Mad Dogs.

I think they sound FAR better than the price tag indicates - as with all Dan's stuff.  I also think they may have an edge in overall clarity like you say - but I'd have to get an LCD-2 again for comparison to be certain...

 

But the Alpha's - and boy - listening to them as I type this - take everything to another level for me.

Their ability to truly sound "open" at times is startling.  But for me, the wow-factor there came after an extended break-in.

I heard it immediately, but it became more pronounced as the headphones settled in.

 

I think they provide a stellar musical playback experience.  It's engaging, dynamic, open (as mentioned before) and emotive.

I'm working on a full review for Positive Feedback to come ASAP.

 

back to rockin' the Alpha's!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones