Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #57,271 of 75,149
If I wanted to improve my Edifier H185 with better technicalities (and also get rid of the congestion / distortion I have with some complex tracks) would Smabat M2s Pro be a good option?

I like V shaped sound and I don't mind equalising if necessary to get this sound signature.

If this helps I much prefer H185 to VE (original) Monk (too dark sounding) or Toneking Tomahawk (too boring, not enough bass nor treble).

I'll use the balanced output of my Hiby R3 Pro Saber, so I don't think I would have problem with the 150 ohms driver... Would it fit better my tastes than the stock 40 ohms driver?

Thanks

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #57,272 of 75,149
If I wanted to improve my Edifier H185 with better technicalities (and also get rid of the congestion / distortion I have with some complex tracks) would Smabat M2s Pro be a good option?

I like V shaped sound and I don't mind equalising if necessary to get this sound signature.

If this helps I much prefer H185 to VE (original) Monk (too dark sounding) or Toneking Tomahawk (too boring, not enough bass nor treble).

I'll use the balanced output of my Hiby R3 Pro Saber, so I don't think I would have problem with the 150 ohms driver... Would it fit better my tastes than the stock 40 ohms driver?

Thanks

Haven't heard the Edifier, but the stock M2S Pro and the 150 ohm driver added in are not V shaped.

The stock M2S Pro is neutralish with subbass boost. Adding the 150 ohm driver in gives more subbass extension and quantity than the stock driver. Both have a spike around the 3 kHz region, it can be tamed with full foams in general (unless you are very sensitive to that area).

In general, EQ is better done to cut frequencies, than to boost frequencies, so I'm not sure EQing a neutralish set to become V shaped (ie boosting the treble and bass) is gonna pan out, sometimes disortion might be added, especially for some drivers that are of lower quality. I don't usually use EQ, but maybe later I'll try the 150 ohm M2S Pro with a V shaped EQ profile.

Though my 2 cents is that rather than overly robust EQ, it might be worth considering to purchase a earbud that is by default V shaped already, eg Tingo TC200 or HE150 Pro.

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #57,273 of 75,149
Haven't heard the Edifier, but the stock M2S Pro and the 150 ohm driver added in are not V shaped.

The stock M2S Pro is neutralish with subbass boost. Adding the 150 ohm driver in gives more subbass extension and quantity than the stock driver. Both have a spike around the 3 kHz region, it can be tamed with full foams in general (unless you are very sensitive to that area).

In general, EQ is better done to cut frequencies, than to boost frequencies, so I'm not sure EQing a neutralish set to become V shaped (ie boosting the treble and bass) is gonna pan out, sometimes disortion might be added, especially for some drivers that are of lower quality. I don't usually use EQ, but maybe later I'll try the 150 ohm M2S Pro with a V shaped EQ profile.

Though my 2 cents is that rather than overly robust EQ, it might be worth considering to purchase a earbud that is by default V shaped already, eg Tingo TC200 or HE150 Pro.

Yeah, this is on point. Most drivers can't handle EQ, but you're usually fine with toning down frequencies.

Unless we're talking about LBBS, that can handle +25dbs on the sub bass without distortion much, lol.
Using them as I write this, just chilling on my sofa after waking up, reading some posts and listening to some techno (yes, morning slow music, I know) and I just realized I'm doing it through a bud... Handles it like a champ.

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #57,274 of 75,149

Thanks, as M2s Pro have got so much praise I thought to give them I try, but I'll also consider HE150 Pro if you think they will suit better me. TC200 is not for me, as I forgot to tell that mx500 shells don't fit me ok.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #57,275 of 75,149
then again, we have guys like Crin who says earbuds inferior way of listening and are not worth mentioning ever, partly because of that seal aspect.

i do personally would not recommend earbuds to friends and families who listens to music with disregard of their surrounding noise. earbuds, because i know they would pump the volume too high..
by design (just like/even more so than openback headphone) would need quiet environment if we want to listen to it's technical potential at a safe level.
any noise present, even as little as quiet AC running would diminish the "technical" aspect of earbuds.
enjoyment level however? that depends, and might not be affected at all. i wear earbuds when noisy for that "ambient music" mode

so, if i want to compare earbuds to IEMs in a more even playing field, i usually stick them under a closed headphone :beyersmile:

also not helping that most other people would say earbuds to describe IEMs :smile:
True, Crin doesn't like it, it's normal. I don't recommend buds to anyone either. But ... if you ask me why I use them ... then I am forced to explain how good they are for me.

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #57,276 of 75,149
Thanks, as M2s Pro have got so much praise I thought to give them I try, but I'll also consider HE150 Pro if you think they will suit better me. TC200 is not for me, as I forgot to tell that mx500 don't fit me ok.

Sorry I haven't been following the discussion since yesterday was a busy day at work.

I do own M2S Pro + the 150ohm golden driver. Let me know if you need to know anything else about them!

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #57,277 of 75,149
Sorry I haven't been following the discussion since yesterday was a busy day at work.

I do own M2S Pro + the 150ohm golden driver. Let me know if you need to know anything else about them!
Great, thanks, could you please test if they handle well some bass and treble boost (or cut mids if they start distorting) to give them some kind of V shaped sound profile?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #57,278 of 75,149
True, Crin doesn't like it, it's normal. I don't recommend buds to anyone either. But ... if you ask me why I use them ... then I am forced to explain how good they are for me.

My 2 cents on the topic.

Is it only me that sees IEMs and Buds as brothers and not as rivals? I use them for different enviroments, music styles, ear rest and specially mood.

Sometimes I just wanna grab something that is great and confortable, so buds it is, grab and forget you have them on ears. Airy sound, out of your head sound, full relaxed mode.
Other times I just wanna get full focused or there's a lot of noise, or I want to hear the rumbles on the subass or every micro detail possible on earth and sure, I'd grab my IEMs.

My biggest use case is work. When I'm working for home, I'm usually in a lot of skype calls, so IEMs suck for that, since they get more tiring and you "hear yourself" since you have your ears sealed. Buds are great for this. But in the office, it's the other way around. I'm lucky to have great pairs for each type tho and that just makes it easy :)

Oh and when Chuck Norris arrive, I usually grab my X6, you know...

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #57,279 of 75,149
Great, thanks, could you please test if they handle well some bass and treble boost (or cut mids if they start distorting) to give them some kind of V shaped sound profile?

Can you give me some numbers? Not sure how much you need them to go up or down...

(I will test it for you, just not a EQ god tho)

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #57,280 of 75,149
My 2 cents on the topic.

Is it only me that sees IEMs and Buds as brothers and not as rivals? I use them for different enviroments, music styles, ear rest and specially mood.

Sometimes I just wanna grab something that is great and confortable, so buds it is, grab and forget you have them on ears. Airy sound, out of your head sound, full relaxed mode.
Other times I just wanna get full focused or there's a lot of noise, or I want to hear the rumbles on the subass or every micro detail possible on earth and sure, I'd grab my IEMs.

My biggest use case is work. When I'm working for home, I'm usually in a lot of skype calls, so IEMs suck for that, since they get more tiring and you "hear yourself" since you have your ears sealed. Buds are great for this. But in the office, it's the other way around. I'm lucky to have great pairs for each type tho and that just makes it easy :)

Actually earbuds are closer to open backed headphones than IEMs. Very different beasts.

Earbuds lack isolation but they generally have better soundstage than IEMs. Different strokes for different folks as they say. I use earbuds for home listening too and for work calls/online meetings!

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #57,283 of 75,149
Actually earbuds are closer to open backed headphones than IEMs. Very different beasts.

Earbuds lack isolation but they generally have better soundstage than IEMs. Different strokes for different folks as they say. I use earbuds for home listening too and for work calls/online meetings!

Exactly this. Buds give me the airy sound and stage of open cans without the need to carry one around. VE Zen 2.0 is a great example of this. They really were tuned to sound like an open can, and they really do.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #57,284 of 75,149
My 2 cents on the topic.

Yes, I think the same as you in this regard, and in the beginning that was the use case. Not now.

I use bud all the time ... and if they call me or have work meetings ... I remove the one on my right ear ... and put this ...

1629443981004.png

Edit: Chuck Norris are already big words, I can not pour any negative criticism in that sense, I would risk my life

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #57,285 of 75,149
I can't speak from experience, but I would imagine they would have to be tuned a bit differently. As to which is better, will depend on what you like best.
Thanks
Haha sometimes I wished my wife was a bit more 'audiophile'.

She can't tell the difference between a $3 usd night bazaar pirated Beats earphone and the TOTL Dunu Luna on a desktop amp. Facepalm.

But anyway I am not at risk of getting my gear stolen like @WoodyLuvr and @Ronion haha. My wife is current very happily using a $1 Vido, so I will just let sleeping dogs lie.

Hi u can check out this small post I wrote about the Smabat M0 (younger sibiling of the M2S pro):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-16427874

There are some graphs of how the various dampers and drivers have different sound signatures. There are many permutations to play with in addition to different cables, foam types, wearing the earbud over ear/cable down and different shells, all these will change the sound.

The M2S pro shell gives a bit of fuller and warmer sound sig, whereas the M0 shell has a thinner note weight and sounds brighter (when same drivers are used).
Thanks. The m2s pro shell is much more expensive than the m0 though
Not yet, but maybe in future. After spending my hard-earned on two Blurs, I'm wiped out at the mo.
Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back