Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #57,301 of 75,326
You make a good case for them, but I'm still hesitant to drop that kind of money on aliexpress. Half of it is that I won't have much fallback if they're defective or if I just plain don't like them, especially for something I'm mostly buying blind.

I feel like I'm somehow going to end up going full DIY at this rate if I want to get what I want :sweat_smile:

You could try and scoop up the rw1000 bass edition instead?

That's about where I am.

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #57,302 of 75,326
You could try and scoop up the rw1000 bass edition instead?

That's about where I am.
Weird, I can't seem to find the rw1000 Bass edition on aliexpress. Might just be the search function acting up on me again though, sometimes it just straight up doesn't show the majority of hits for some reason.

This might seem familiar to some (or most) of you, but the more I look around the longer my list of potential purchases becomes. Currently I'm at
- Smabat M0 shell + 40ohm driver
- Smabat M2spro shell + 40ohm driver (Which should essentially be a M2Spro if I understand correctly?)
- RY4S super
- Yincrow X6
- LLBS
- Cat Ear Mimi
- Openheart OH066 or OH860
- FENGRU Diy PT52

...this is getting out of hand fast, isn't it?

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #57,303 of 75,326
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #57,304 of 75,326
If I wanted to improve my Edifier H185 with better technicalities (and also get rid of the congestion / distortion I have with some complex tracks) would Smabat M2s Pro be a good option?

I like V shaped sound and I don't mind equalising if necessary to get this sound signature.

If this helps I much prefer H185 to VE (original) Monk (too dark sounding) or Toneking Tomahawk (too boring, not enough bass nor treble).

I'll use the balanced output of my Hiby R3 Pro Saber, so I don't think I would have problem with the 150 ohms driver... Would it fit better my tastes than the stock 40 ohms driver?

Thanks
So, I took my M2S Pro 40Ohm buds and did some EQ experimenting. I use the DX300 with Neutron as the player. As long as you set the preamp to where it wont clip/distort, and have auto gain protection, you can pretty much do what you want with the settings. If you go overboard, though, the volume will be so low that you can't hear the song very well.... Here are the settings:

• 31Hz = +10dB
  • 63Hz = +8dB
  • 125Hz = +6dB
  • 250Hz = +2dB
  • 500Hz = 0dB
  • 1KHz = -4dB
  • 2KHz = -5dB
  • 4KHz = -4dB
  • 8KHz = +2dB
  • 16KHz = +4dB
  • Preamp dB = -9.8dB
This gives a nice V without distortion (at least on Neutron, and the music I have listened to it with... YMMV). My 2¢.....:)

I don't have the 150Ohm driver for the M2S Pro, but I have the ST10S Gold (which is 150Ohm, and I maybe the same driver used in the M2S Pro driver module), and I will try and get a V shaped EQ for that one and let you know....

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #57,305 of 75,326
Damn! The ST10S become some bass cannons with this EQ setting. They can handle most stuff except songs that have a ton of sub bass such as: They can handle it at lower volumes, but if you turn it up the buds themselves start distorting.

The difference in the two (with this setting) is that the 150Ohm driver has MUCH more sub bass, and bass quantity in general. Otherwise they sound more alike than not.

On another note, I decided to try this EQ setting on the Rose Maria II with that song, and that bud can totally handle it and at large volumes too. Massive bass! Not my type of tuning, but wow it can do it.

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #57,306 of 75,326
Weird, I can't seem to find the rw1000 Bass edition on aliexpress. Might just be the search function acting up on me again though, sometimes it just straight up doesn't show the majority of hits for some reason.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000412299257.html

You can select the bass boosted version from the color options.

The first four selections at this link are also the Bass Boosted version - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002806939428.html

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #57,308 of 75,326
Received the M2S Pro (stock drivers) yesterday. A very nice set indeed for those who want a bit more bass but don't want to deal with EQ. Not so much a problem on Android, but on my iPhone I'm just using the stock music player which is a pain to EQ anything. Personally, the LBBS's tuning suits my taste more and I think it's more technically capable, but the M2S Pro is very enjoyable too in its own ways. Plus it has a removable cable and that modular driver system too. :grin:

1.jpg

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #57,309 of 75,326
Damn! The ST10S become some bass cannons with this EQ setting. They can handle most stuff except songs that have a ton of sub bass such as: They can handle it at lower volumes, but if you turn it up the buds themselves start distorting.

The difference in the two (with this setting) is that the 150Ohm driver has MUCH more sub bass, and bass quantity in general. Otherwise they sound more alike than not.

On another note, I decided to try this EQ setting on the Rose Maria II with that song, and that bud can totally handle it and at large volumes too. Massive bass! Not my type of tuning, but wow it can do it.

Great lots of thanks! I think I'll give them a try using next AliExpress sales.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #57,310 of 75,326
Great lots of thanks! I think I'll give them a try using next AliExpress sales.

Haha u are in luck, the next Aliexpress sale starts on 23.08.21!!!!

Sorry for your wallet.

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #57,311 of 75,326
Aug 21, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #57,312 of 75,326
Aug 21, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #57,313 of 75,326
Now that is interesting. Anyone happy with that em5?

I auditioned the Fiio EM5 at a local shop, it didn't fit me well, but more so, I wasn't too impressed with the sound for the original list price, plus the non detachable cables are a bugbear for me. But $164 is a good deal, we gotta thank @wskl for this fine info.

Do note, there were quite a few QC issues reported for the EM5 on the forums. Returning stuff to China isn't an easy thing to do (for stuff bought on Aliexpress), so it might be worth a consideration to get it from a place with a robust returns policy.

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #57,314 of 75,326
Now that is interesting. Anyone happy with that em5?
I auditioned the Fiio EM5 at a local shop, it didn't fit me well, but more so, I wasn't too impressed with the sound for the original list price, plus the non detachable cables are a bugbear for me. But $164 is a good deal, we gotta thank @wskl for this fine info.

Do note, there were quite a few QC issues reported for the EM5 on the forums. Returning stuff to China isn't an easy thing to do (for stuff bought on Aliexpress), so it might be worth a consideration to get it from a place with a robust returns policy.
God-tier level tuning the FiiO EM5 offers a very unique sound and are most definitely an "acquired taste" type of earbud (a lot of god-tier earbuds are actually). Although the EM5 has an excellent and authoritative low end; a very nice bottom to middle mid-range which is ever so slightly forward; and a nicely extended treble... they can come across rather shouty & bright and thin-sounding in the upper-mids thru to the highs, especially with certain music genres. And as @baskingshark has correctly intimated the FiiO EM5 has unfortunately been plagued with QC issues. Our Chinese brethren over on erji.net have been quite disappointed in them as well in regards to build quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back