Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #37,967 of 75,373
My Svara-L's arrived today. First impressions (with stock foams) without break-in: sounds like a baby HD58x, similar SS, but with slightly less extension and less slam in the bass, which is not a fair comparison since the latter is an over-ear headphone.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #37,970 of 75,373
Nov 28, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #37,971 of 75,373
I am short of time, but here is a little teaser of recent purchases pending a fuller post:

Snow Lotus 1.0 - I made a mistake, they are great!
NiceHCK EB2 - very impressive, but...
EMX500 PK2 - similar to RY4S UE (same cable) but more comfortable shell.
**** PT25 - not yet delivered.

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #37,973 of 75,373
Here's those red sandalwood mmcx buds I ordered. Sounding pretty good straight from the box.

Nice. I see that you also received the nicer cable than what was pictured on the sale page.

Snow Lotus 1.0 - I made a mistake, they are great!

Good to hear. Mine has arrived in the country.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #37,975 of 75,373
I received the RY4S (UE cable version) and the FAAEAL Snow Lotus 1.0 plus. At first listen the RY4S was thin sounding and lacked bass because it didn't come with any foam covers. I put the Snow Lotus covers on them and it helped so much. Any idea why they didn't include any covers for the RY4S? I feel bad for people who don't have any foam covers.

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #37,976 of 75,373
I received the RY4S (UE cable version) and the FAAEAL Snow Lotus 1.0 plus. At first listen the RY4S was thin sounding and lacked bass because it didn't come with any foam covers. I put the Snow Lotus covers on them and it helped so much. Any idea why they didn't include any covers for the RY4S? I feel bad for people who don't have any foam covers.
Possible oversight? My RY4S UE came with a small baggy with foams with it. Ended up using VE full foams. Sounds great!

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #37,977 of 75,373
Hey guys I've been trying to find a new portable audio device, and my current plan is to get a quality IEM and then get some open back headphones for use in my house down the line when I have more money. The problem is,there are too many IEMs and I'm a poor college student who doesn't have enough money to buy and try all of them so I'd really appreciate some help. I previously owned Audio Technica ATH-M50x, and I liked the sound of them but I just wanted the mids to come out more and the bass to be a tiny bit punchier. I think the signature is a mild V-shape but not sure since I am new to this.

I've tried to research on my own but it hasn't really helped, and I like to know what I am talking about before making a good purchase. Someone on reddit recommended the HiFi Boy OS V3 to me and it does look pretty appealing, but there isn't that much information comparing it to other IEMs in the same price range. I found some others that I'll list to see if anyone can recommend to me, but to be honest all of these (other than the HiFis) were taken off crinacle's IEM ranking list so I don't know if it's worth mentioning.
  • HiFi Boy OS V3
  • TFZ King Pro
  • VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition
  • Alpha & Delta D6
  • FiiO F9
  • Final Audio Design Heaven II
  • ADV Sound EVO X
  • FiiO F5
  • Kinera Idun
  • Massdrop x Nuforce EDC3
  • Zero Audio Carbo Tenore ZH-DH200-CT
My price range is between $30-160, and I'm wondering if it's even worth spending that much on a IEM that i'm using for portability. It will probably be my daily driver until I get a pair of open back headphones, but most of the music I listen to is in my car anyway so I can deal with a decent, low quality IEM if it isn't worth it. I listen to many different genres, but my top ones (right now) are rap, pop, epic (video game music basically), and metal. Any advice helps, whether it's other IEMs that have a good price to performance or if I should just save up and get a better pair of open backs. Thanks in advance for the help!

I haven't tried a lot of the new ones, but my favorite under $100 was the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore with the MEE double flange tips. The downside is the build quality, but mine are still going strong. They aren't earbuds though, so wrong thread :)

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #37,979 of 75,373
Possible oversight? My RY4S UE came with a small baggy with foams with it. Ended up using VE full foams. Sounds great!

Oh, I think my daughter must have put all the foam baggies together, lol.

So I have:

A. One bag of 2 black full foams and 2 black donut foams
B. One bag of 4 red full foams
C. One bag with 4 black full foams and 2 red full foams.

Did the A and B come with the Snow Lotus 1.0 plus and C with the R4YS?

Also, does it matter which foams I put on which? They seem similar

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #37,980 of 75,373
...and my RY4S UE buds.

Edit: These buds are not short of bass! Rocking some Masters of Reality (with Ginger Baker on drums) and they're powering the tunes along.
You should try them with a 1mm vent on the bass port... Notable bump in sub and mid bass adds some fullness to the low mids too. Sounds a little more open too. This as a result tames the strident highs, so I use them with thin foams, but get the bass levels similar to full foams. It's very nice!

It's one of those buds that actually responds well to a more open airflow.

So if you're keen on modding... You have one to tweak and one as your default to test against the modded pair :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back