Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 29, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #37,997 of 75,059
Nov 29, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #37,999 of 75,059
Out of curiosity, what does the UE in the RY4S UE cable stand for, anyways?

I originally assumed it stood for Ultimate Ears, maybe they had really nice cables that were transplanted or something, but the Ultimate Ears stock cables don't look anything like it...

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #38,000 of 75,059
What a hodgepodge of design, lol. I'm intrigued :hushed:

20181129_191219-01.jpeg

I'm also a bit worried how it would look and fit, but i kinda dig it: looks like regular IEM from the outside, sounds like an earbud. at least it's better looking and more secure than the stem look of the airpod

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #38,001 of 75,059
You should try them with a 1mm vent on the bass port... Notable bump in sub and mid bass adds some fullness to the low mids too. Sounds a little more open too. This as a result tames the strident highs, so I use them with thin foams, but get the bass levels similar to full foams. It's very nice!

It's one of those buds that actually responds well to a more open airflow.

So if you're keen on modding... You have one to tweak and one as your default to test against the modded pair :)
I'm curious on how to do this. Any Pics? Tq

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #38,002 of 75,059
I'm curious on how to do this. Any Pics? Tq
I'll take some pics soon. I actually combined two mods, the resulting sound was something more like the tm9 but with a more energetic highs. The soundstage became very open, spacious.

Sadly the resulting bass boost from the bass port mod just cuts off short of the low mid dip (as expected since it's the bass that gets boosted up to around 200hz). So you still have that low vocal recession around 250-500.

But everything else takes one a very balanced neutral sound. Which is why I've bought 2 more ry4s to mod further.

You will be really impressed by how much clean bass these can deliver with the mods. Bass to match or surpass the willsound mk2 but with less bleed into the mids.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #38,003 of 75,059
Some quick observations between RY4S (UE) and Snow Lotus 1.0 Plus. I tested on pop music out of my LG V20 phone.

Snow Lotus 1.0 Plus is more efficient than RY4S UE. SL 1.0+ I play at 45 volume and RY4S I play at 60 volume.
SL 1.0+ has a warmer tone and more bass.
The RY4S is more detailed. The SL 1.0+ sounds like it has a veil in comparison.

The RY4S UE is the better earbud. I just wish it had more bass.
It's got tonnes of bass but the default tuning is too restrictive of airflow. Check my last few posts about modding them. You'll be impressed by how much bass you can get out of these.

I have become really dependant on having the bassiest earbuds after hearing the ks black ling. Any bass lite earbuds just leave me disappointed now.

The ry4s after mods are close to the bass levels of the black ling, it's very satisfying deep punchy bass, with no bleed into the mids.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #38,004 of 75,059

soo..as this similar to earpods, it still counts as earbuds, right? :dt880smile:

finally found a true wireless earbuds that actually quite good!

I have read that bluetooth radiation is not a concern, but I can't help but feel a bit of trepidation about having bluetooth receivers right in my ears (which is another reason I like the ES100). Then again, I use bluetooth headphones quite often, so obviously I should be ignored lol!

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #38,005 of 75,059
I have read that bluetooth radiation is not a concern, but I can't help but feel a bit of trepidation about having bluetooth receivers right in my ears (which is another reason I like the ES100). Then again, I use bluetooth headphones quite often, so obviously I should be ignored lol!

i heard radiation might give you superpowers :o2smile:

now that i'm using this true wireless earphones more often, i only use my wired ones on my computer desk or when I'm on my bed before sleeping. using wired with my phone or dac gave me frequent heart attack because i kept snagging the cable or accidentally pulled my phone of the table when i stand up

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #38,006 of 75,059
i heard radiation might give you superpowers :o2smile:

now that i'm using this true wireless earphones more often, i only use my wired ones on my computer desk or when I'm on my bed before sleeping. using wired with my phone or dac gave me frequent heart attack because i kept snagging the cable or accidentally pulled my phone of the table when i stand up

Brain cancer or heart failure. I was going to say "flip a coin", but I think I'm gonna to stick with the cables! :cold_sweat:

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #38,007 of 75,059
My BTR1 is a nearly perfect (I have a BTR1k on order right now :wink: ) bluetooth solution afaic. It provides great sound in a super compact form and I can use whatever buds I want to use at any given time. If I need to I can easily tie up the excess cable so it doesn't get caught up on things...

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #38,008 of 75,059
It's got tonnes of bass but the default tuning is too restrictive of airflow. Check my last few posts about modding them. You'll be impressed by how much bass you can get out of these.

I have become really dependant on having the bassiest earbuds after hearing the ks black ling. Any bass lite earbuds just leave me disappointed now.

The ry4s after mods are close to the bass levels of the black ling, it's very satisfying deep punchy bass, with no bleed into the mids.
Could you share your mods?

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #38,009 of 75,059
Bluetooth RF power is 500 times weaker than the RF power radiated by a smartphone. Talking on the smartphone while holding it to the ear is a concern. So, using Bluetooth is actually safer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back