Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #73,997 of 75,467
Also want to try, but extremely low sensitivity and high impedance are absolute stoppers for me.
It still sound good even without amping, but it truly shines when it's amped, and besides, it's worth the investment getting a good amp.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #73,998 of 75,467
You can still use it even without amping satisfactory, but it truly shines when it's amped, and besides, it's worth the investment getting a good amp.
Have already got good amps (at least I guess so, Topping L50 is one of them, it has got big power margin with AKG k612 Pro having also very low sensitivity and 120 Ohm impedance), but earbuds are not used in "stationary mode". That is they are used with DAP at home (yes I like to "walk" at home, it helps me to think) and BT receiver on a walk outside.

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #73,999 of 75,467
I think you'll have a very hard time finding an earbud with a 16mm driver. The biggest diameter earbud that I own and know of to date is the Dunu Alpha 1 which is no longer available. Maybe you can find a second hand set if you're lucky. They are a dual driver BA and DD earbud and they are actually too big for most people for a comfortable solid fit. If the fit and seal is not perfect you lose bass and get a thin sounding earbud. I'm fortunate that they just barely fit my ears and have a solid fit without causing pain that others have complained about. See the red dot in the one bud, that is the BA that fires mids and treble into your ear canal.

11983746.jpg

The context of why I recommended them was because the person asking has a desktop amp with an output impedance which causes hiss when used with low impedance head gear. Higher impedance drivers are a better match and are pretty much immune to low level hiss from an amplifier.

There is a history of using high impedance headphones in the past for both studio work and home, but that has changed for the most part due to modern amplifier design. Here's a link which explains low vs high impedance headphones. Here's a head-fi thread discussing this very topic as well.
You're always good for some great knowledge on headphones. 🙂 Thanks for that post and the pic of your dap and buds. Too bad the Dunu is no longer available. I'd love to try a hybrid bud.

Thanks again

Edit: I knew I saw someone claiming a 16mm driver, but couldn't find it until now. Right here . I think I'm gonna get it since it's so cheap. Who knows it might be a Vido killer

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #74,001 of 75,467

So i just found out that wearing my earbuds like this make a bight and day difference, everything becomes better and more balanced oh and the bass.. holographic impactful, amazing, none of my over ear headphones and iems come even close.

Now the problem is that for long sessions my ear starts to hurt because it presses against my ear cartilage. Any shell recommendations that can be worn iem style comfortably without pain?

I too have always sought to find alternative positions in order to gain in seriousness and transparency. The horizontal position is the one that has given me the best results, because it opens up the channel and offers a closer contact with it, making the bass more powerful, either because of that same close contact or because of the greater proximity to the channel. It is true that it is a setting that is not very comfortable for long sessions and that it is somewhat complicated to find the right spot. It is not too stable either. But that's how I usually use the earbuds when I'm at my desk.

And yes, there are some earbuds that are specially shaped for downward use, like the IEMS.

I also wear my earbuds cable up, but most importantly - I don't wear them facing my head, I wear them facing my ear canal ("looking" into it).
This makes a tremendous difference - wearing them normally, the differences in SQ between different earbuds are not as obvious, and sound quality is greatly reduced.

It's much better to wear earbuds cable up when they are facing the ear canal directly, because if you'll wear them cable down, the cable will pull them out of the correct position very quickly, even if you are just sitting in front of the computer.

When I use my LBBS like that, it's a very immersive experience, I am totally engaged, especially by live performances.
Every frequency range sounds better, because the sound enters the ear canal freely, without being blocked by the concha.

Bell-shaped earbuds are the ones that can be worn this way, MX500-type earbuds can't.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #74,002 of 75,467
I think the Fiio FF3s will fit you better based on your preferences, and they're much cheaper, or if you can stretch your budget a bit more, get the Yinman 600. It's endgame for most people, but it requires amping.

Thank you for your reply! Did not pay attention to the FF3s at all but I will look up some info on them for sure, they look well built and saving a few bucks is nice actually. About the Yinman, is this the model you are talking about? https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/3281...fd7ff5-1&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #74,003 of 75,467
Thank you for your reply! Did not pay attention to the FF3s at all but I will look up some info on them for sure, they look well built and saving a few bucks is nice actually. About the Yinman, is this the model you are talking about? https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/32817689863.html?algo_exp_id=bcc8dfc5-016b-41b4-b2c5-fc5187fd7ff5-1&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:
Make sure to apply that $4 off coupon if you get them. Some people miss them.

Edit: For @mt877 I knew I saw someone claiming a 16mm driver, but couldn't find it until now. Right here . I think I'm gonna get it since it's so cheap. Who knows it might be a Vido killer

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #74,004 of 75,467
You're always good for some great knowledge on headphones. 🙂 Thanks for that post and the pic of your dap and buds. Too bad the Dunu is no longer available. I'd love to try a hybrid bud.

Thanks again

Edit: I knew I saw someone claiming a 16mm driver, but couldn't find it until now. Right here . I think I'm gonna get it since it's so cheap. Who knows it might be a Vido killer
Cool, perseverance pays off. I did see another bud with 16mm drivers, the ****** PT2022. I think they've been talked about in this thread in the past. When you get your buds please measure the diameter of the speaker cover, it would be interesting to know how big they are compared to an MX500 cover.

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #74,006 of 75,467
Hey, people. What is the difference between Yincrow Calf and Rhino? Are both earbuds are tonally neutral and clear?
Sound resolution of both earbuds at a high level or RW3000 significantly better?
In short, RW-3000 is better than either Calf or Rhino.

I would rank them: Calf < Rhino < RW-3000

Here's what I said in a previous post about the Calf, Rhino and RW-2000 / RW-3000.
I posted these Rhino and Calf FR graphs a while back. The FR graphs don't tell the whole story. My quick thoughts of Calf compared to RW-3000. My quick thoughts of Rhino compared to RW-2000 and 3000. Both Calf and Rhino are nice sets in their price range and either could be good depending on people's sound preferences. I prefer the Rhino over the Calf. I think the Rhino's sound have more in common with the RW-2000 / 3000 than the Calf.
Note: The manufacturer FR graphs for both Calf and Rhino don't represent how they sound.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #74,009 of 75,467
Alright..I don't know how some of you wear buds with the stem up. I tried today, and while I could find pretty good comfort out of this way of wearing them, I could not get a proper seal. At all.

I think I'm going to try again tomorrow with a thicker foam.

Depends on the ear shape I think. I can wear some of them over the ears, but I'm not fond of it, and it's never a better option for me as far as sound goes. Some swear by it though.

I did have some success using (some) buds with the FiiO UTWS5 Bluetooth ear-hooks, until those broke.

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #74,010 of 75,467
Alright..I don't know how some of you wear buds with the stem up. I tried today, and while I could find pretty good comfort out of this way of wearing them, I could not get a proper seal. At all.

I think I'm going to try again tomorrow with a thicker foam.
You can try using silicon wings. It helps give you a more consistent and secure fit. Alot of earbuds don't fit me securely so I bought a bunch of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back