Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 10, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #72,391 of 75,711
I was looking at getting the RW3000 during the 11/11 sale but after seeing the comments from samandhi and gylyf I'm second guessing whether I'll enjoy listening to them or if I'll have the same issues they both had. Since you're one of the few people I've seen here that also has the Rhino, how do they compare to the RW3000 and RW2000? Just don't want to be disappointed as a lot of the other earbuds I've tried have either been too sibilant or it has felt like there was something missing compared to the Calf but especially to the Rhino.
After doing a quick compare of the 3 sets, the Rhino has shades of both the RW-2000 and 3000, but is not an exact match to either. Both 2000 and 3000 have a deeper bass and than Rhino. Both also have extended high end compared to Rhino, but with differences. 2000 high end is not as extended as 3000, or it might be the presence range of the 3000 which is causing that effect(?). Both 2000 and 3000 don't bother me at all and I seem to favor what the 3000 bring to the table. I find the 2000 high end has similarities to the Rhino, but with a bit more extension, but not it's not sharp or edgy, if you know what I mean. I think the RW-2000 might be a good fit for you.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #72,392 of 75,711
I was looking at getting the RW3000 during the 11/11 sale but after seeing the comments from samandhi and gylyf I'm second guessing whether I'll enjoy listening to them or if I'll have the same issues they both had. Since you're one of the few people I've seen here that also has the Rhino, how do they compare to the RW3000 and RW2000? Just don't want to be disappointed as a lot of the other earbuds I've tried have either been too sibilant or it has felt like there was something missing compared to the Calf but especially to the Rhino.
Apologies if I have scared you, so maybe I should go into a bit more detail about them.

I am super sensitive to the presence region when it is boosted quite a bit. The aggressive nature I was describing was in comparison to the other two buds.

Having said that, they are too shout for me only if I try and listen at very loud levels (the Munson curve really kicks in here). On top if all that, for my ears most buds are boosted in this region to some extent or another. The ST20 (P), are probably the worst, and hard to listen to at any level. Mist of the one I might recommend, I consider to be at acceptable levels except at very loud levels. I don't just get fatigued with too much boost, but they actually hurt my ears.

Hope that helps a bit?!

Nov 10, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #72,393 of 75,711
They look so cool! What's the sound signature?
Close to what I think is balanced, timbre head earbuds. When I say balanced, I mean bass, mids and treble compliment each other, no FR being too dominant. Some people might think these buds might sound boring, but they are not. They exhibit a nice sound stage with natural sounding instruments and vocals (both male and female) without any harshness. Resolution is very good without being edgy.

Those look amazing! Great job in (somehow) jamming both DD in that small shell. I AM glad you opted to not go with the MX500 shell (even though they are a bit easier to tune in that shell). Are those metal shells or plastic shells? Can you liken them to anything you own, or have you created something completely unique?

Looks like that might take a while. My order has yet to be even processed (as of this morning). Just as a reference point, I ordered them on the 6th. Though, I am not complaining; it isn't like I don't have anything to listen to while waiting for them.... :wink:

Even though I don't have the M5 Pro yet, I am going to go out on a limb and say that there probably is a difference. If you look at the M4 shell, there IS a port hole in it, but there is just very little room even in the back of the shell where the port leads to. This will stifle the bass to an extent. Where as the M5 pro (and the M5 regular) shells have a "maze" type of configuration much like the ST10S and ST20 (and pro) did. Having said that, I would also guess that the M5 (either shell) should have a bit less bass impact than did the ST10S (and maybe the ST20 also) because of the modular design not leaving any room directly behind the driver.
Thanks! I've got a really tiny crowbar which I used like a shoehorn to get the driver to fit, haha. Actually the driver unit has one forward and a rear facing diaphragm which makes up the dual driver. I went through my small collection of DIY shells until I found one that the driver unit would fit. I couldn't use an MX500 shell if I wanted to, there's no room for the driver at all. Final selection was a metal shell and plastic face cover. Amazingly these buds have some commonality to the A-Bells. I think it's due to the nature of a dual driver setup. I already gave a sound description above. Just like the A-Bells, I'm finding these buds to be somewhat addictive because they have that certain tonality that only a dual driver bud could provide. I guess it might be compared to a single full range speaker vs a 2 way speaker system.

Wow, MMCX and all.
For the win... LOL.

Nov 10, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #72,394 of 75,711
Close to what I think is balanced, timbre head earbuds. When I say balanced, I mean bass, mids and treble compliment each other, no FR being too dominant. Some people might think these buds might sound boring, but they are not. They exhibit a nice sound stage with natural sounding instruments and vocals (both male and female) without any harshness. Resolution is very good without being edgy.

Thanks! I've got a really tiny crowbar which I used like a shoehorn to get the driver to fit, haha. Actually the driver unit has one forward and a rear facing diaphragm which makes up the dual driver. I went through my small collection of DIY shells until I found one that the driver unit would fit. I couldn't use an MX500 shell if I wanted to, there's no room for the driver at all. Final selection was a metal shell and plastic face cover. Amazingly these buds have some commonality to the A-Bells. I think it's due to the nature of a dual driver setup. I already gave a sound description above. Just like the A-Bells, I'm finding these buds to be somewhat addictive because they have that certain tonality that only a dual driver bud could provide. I guess it might be compared to a single full range speaker vs a 2 way speaker system.

For the win... LOL.
Then thise are winners. The more I listen to the A-Bells, the more the sound is addicting to me. No, the tuning isn't perfect, but something about them really impresses me in their price category.

The bottom line is, congrats on your new (home made) shiny! :)

Have they been christened with a name?

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #72,395 of 75,711
Apologies if I have scared you, so maybe I should go into a bit more detail about them.

I am super sensitive to the presence region when it is boosted quite a bit. The aggressive nature I was describing was in comparison to the other two buds.

Having said that, they are too shout for me only if I try and listen at very loud levels (the Munson curve really kicks in here). On top if all that, for my ears most buds are boosted in this region to some extent or another. The ST20 (P), are probably the worst, and hard to listen to at any level. Mist of the one I might recommend, I consider to be at acceptable levels except at very loud levels. I don't just get fatigued with too much boost, but they actually hurt my ears.

Hope that helps a bit?!

What concerned me the most was when you compared them to the FF5 which I wasn't a fan of, they don't sound bad there's just something missing.

I'm not sure exactly what it is I like about the Rhino so much, maybe midrange? I need to try and figure out what exactly I'm sensitive to as I've always just said treble but I know that's not very specific.

You mentioned that the treble/pina region was boosted on the Alpha 3, but how do the RW3000 and the FF5 compare? I know you said they're warmer overall but I didn't know how much of a difference there was. The FF5 is at the upper limits of how much treble I can stand, I don't mind listening to them but they're not my first pick by any means.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #72,396 of 75,711
What concerned me the most was when you compared them to the FF5 which I wasn't a fan of, they don't sound bad there's just something missing.
To my taste, something exaggerated
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-4804#post-17786283
It seems, we are in the same - anti-Harman-hill - team.

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #72,397 of 75,711

I'm not sure exactly what it is I like about the Rhino so much, maybe midrange? I need to try and figure out what exactly I'm sensitive to as I've always just said treble but I know that's not very specific.

You mentioned that the treble/pina region was boosted on the Alpha 3, but how do the RW3000 and the FF5 compare? I know you said they're warmer overall but I didn't know how much of a difference there was. The FF5 is at the upper limits of how much treble I can stand, I don't mind listening to them but they're not my first pick by any means.
Knowing that DOES help a bit. The RW3000 aren't as boosted in the mid and upper treble region as the FF5 are. The thing is, the FF5 don't have a boosted presence region at all (to my ears), so they actually had to boost the treble to keep them from sounding dark. This might be why they sound a bit boring to some. They are pretty neutral overall.

The RW3000 do have a more aggressive presence region, so the treble is a bit more relaxed. If you want to figure out your hearing trouble spots and the earbud's boosted spots, there is an online tone generator you could use to figure this out. I am currently on my phone, so I don't have a link ATM, but you should be able to Google for it using the term "online tone generator". Then you will know what bothers you most. Some people believe it is treble that they can't handle when a lot of times it is the presence region that is to blame.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #72,398 of 75,711
Then thise are winners. The more I listen to the A-Bells, the more the sound is addicting to me. No, the tuning isn't perfect, but something about them really impresses me in their price category.

The bottom line is, congrats on your new (home made) shiny! :)

Have they been christened with a name?
Thanks. The A-Bells are definitely worth their price. A little bit better build quality would have been nice. I still have a couple more of those dual Piezo / DD drivers so I might throw together an improved version of A-Bell and see how they turn out. I haven't thought of a name for my latest build. I guess I would have to get inspired by something for a proper name.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #72,399 of 75,711
As 11/11 looms I'm considering getting another set of buds. I don't like bright tunings or super aggressive pinna gain. Also prefer some mid-bass focus to lend warmth and weight. So please nudge me toward, or provide cheaper alternatives to the RW-2000. :ksc75smile:

Current buds
NiceHCK B40
NiceHCK EB2s
Yincrow X6

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #72,400 of 75,711
As 11/11 looms I'm considering getting another set of buds. I don't like bright tunings or super aggressive pinna gain. Also prefer some mid-bass focus to lend warmth and weight. So please nudge me toward, or provide cheaper alternatives to the RW-2000. :ksc75smile:

Current buds
NiceHCK B40
NiceHCK EB2s
Yincrow X6

Yincrow X6 is the way to go bro, it is warm and smooth, thick note weight. Not too technical though. Kind of like the BLON BL-03 of the earbud world.

EB2S seems to have some variations in tuning for later batches, so I can't confidently recommend it.

If you have an amp, the Faael Rosemary is a bassy earbud with huge mid-bass. Needs amplification though cause of the 150 ohm impedance.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #72,401 of 75,711
Yincrow X6 is the way to go bro, it is warm and smooth, thick note weight. Not too technical though. Kind of like the BLON BL-03 of the earbud world.

EB2S seems to have some variations in tuning for later batches, so I can't confidently recommend it.

If you have an amp, the Faael Rosemary is a bassy earbud with huge mid-bass. Needs amplification though cause of the 150 ohm impedance.

I already have B40, EB2s and X6. I was looking at getting something that was a step up from those.:L3000:

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #72,402 of 75,711
I already have B40, EB2s and X6. I was looking at getting something that was a step up from those.:L3000:

Ah sorry, then the Yinman 600 ohm is the end game for a bassy and non fatiguing signature.

Needs amplification due to wickedly low sensitivity of 87 dB/mW and 600 ohm impedance.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #72,403 of 75,711

Current buds
NiceHCK B40
NiceHCK EB2s
Yincrow X6
I would agree about the Yinmans. They are simply one of the best all rounders on the market.

But, if you want cheaper, both the FiiO FF3, and FF1 are warmer and not nearly as bright as most other buds out there. Of course they aren't nearly as smooth as the Yinmans, but they are both great in their price bracket. Just some more food for thought.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #72,404 of 75,711
Ah sorry, then the Yinman 600 ohm is the end game for a bassy and non fatiguing signature.

Needs amplification due to wickedly low sensitivity of 87 dB/mW and 600 ohm impedance.

Sadly none of my sources will touch those. They really did a job on making those efficient.

"They're still drivable. We can't credibly push the impedance any higher, since they leave most full sized cans looking anemic. I know, let's cut the sensitivity by 20dB!":rolling_eyes:

I would agree about the Yinmans. They are simply one of the best all rounders on the market.

But, if you want cheaper, both the FiiO FF3, and FF1 are warmer and not nearly as bright as most other buds out there. Of course they aren't nearly as smooth as the Yinmans, but they are both great in their price bracket. Just some more food for thought.

FF1 was on sale and has replaceable cable, so I might consider using those to top up for 11/11 codes.

AliExpress site is of course, now starting to choke up with traffic leading up to the sale in a few hours!:triportsad:

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #72,405 of 75,711

For the win... LOL.
I'm surprised that you didn't find it difficult to solder haha the only way of tuning that thing that I know of is by modifying the shells and even then it's still complicated awesome looking buds tho!
There isn't really much in those price categories most of the buds I tried in that price range either became a beater pair, drawer purgatory or given away just save yourself with the headache and get the FF3S which is cheaper in some stores plus the discounts in Shopee I saw them going around for 52 USD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back