Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 25, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #72,826 of 75,716
Right, well, I've ordered a pair of Yincrow Rhino to kick start my journey - thanks for all the advice, this would have to be the best corner of Head-Fi!

Whilst I wait for the postman, given the number of sales on at the moment I might try some cheaper options to get a feeling for how different the sound is to an IEM.

For an entry level flat-head, which of the following would give the most neutral, flat studio style response (they're all within $5 or $10 on the pricing range):
  • HZSOUND Bell Rhyme
  • FAAEAL Rosemary
  • YINCROW X6
  • NICEHCK YDX

I've not tried the nicehck YDX but I have the others.

If you want "neutral" or "flat", the Rosemary and X6 are all super bassy earbuds.

Bell Rhyme is a U shaped tuned bud, not totally flat but with a slight boost in bass and upper mids/treble.

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #72,827 of 75,716
I've not tried the nicehck YDX but I have the others.

If you want "neutral" or "flat", the Rosemary and X6 are all super bassy earbuds.

Bell Rhyme is a U shaped tuned bud, not totally flat but with a slight boost in bass and upper mids/treble.
Thanks mate, appreciate this.
Sounds like the Bell Rhyme is the best bet. How's the treble, any sibilance?

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #72,828 of 75,716
Thanks mate, appreciate this.
Sounds like the Bell Rhyme is the best bet. How's the treble, any sibilance?

Sibilance is present but mild (I am using full foams). If donut foams or the naked earbud is used, the sibilance might be increased.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #72,830 of 75,716
Nov 25, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #72,831 of 75,716
Right, well, I've ordered a pair of Yincrow Rhino to kick start my journey - thanks for all the advice, this would have to be the best corner of Head-Fi!

Whilst I wait for the postman, given the number of sales on at the moment I might try some cheaper options to get a feeling for how different the sound is to an IEM.

For an entry level flat-head, which of the following would give the most neutral, flat studio style response (they're all within $5 or $10 on the pricing range):
  • HZSOUND Bell Rhyme
  • FAAEAL Rosemary
  • YINCROW X6
  • NICEHCK YDX
Hi!
It seems you are in the same boat as me. I ordered the yincrow calf for starters. They are similary priced and seem to use the same shell.
I'd be interested in your assessment of the rhino, when you get them!
Chances are you will love them, I especially like the cable on the calf, it is light, soft, no microphonics and does not tangle too much. (Guessing the cable on the rhino is very similar...)
I too have ordered 2 cheapo sets to check the fit of the mx500 shell for me.
My choice fell on the faaeal Iris 2.0 and 2* the vido earbud. Apparently Vido/yincrow x6/nicehck traceless are all the same earbud or use at least the same driver. The main difference being the price...
Rigokoudoku did a review of the faaeal iris 2.0, where he compares it to a bunch of other cheap earbuds. Might be helpful:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/faaeal-iris-2-0.25338/reviews
I ordered the Iris 2.0 for 5€-ish.
If you have bigger ears it might be an idea for you to also order some silicone rings to enhance the diameter of the rhino. I did not get a good fit with the yincrow calf at the beginning...
In any case let us know what you think about the yincrow rhino, once you get it.

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #72,832 of 75,716
meh, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-4439#post-17249223

This is my latest model in which I have improved the low-frequency response technology. It's a pity. that none of the manufacturers wants to cooperate, so there would be a great breakthrough in sound.
Nice. And it doesn't look like a standard FR of buds with elevated bass? What is the cooperation you need from them?
What is your way to get reproducible flathead measurements?
Yea, how was that graph measured?

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #72,833 of 75,716
Thanks for the insight, you might have saved me a lot of time and effort for little gain.

There is only one commercially produced planar earbud that I can find, the Initial A:

https://initial-acoustic.com/products/結-yui-平面駆動ドライバー搭載インナーイヤー型イヤホン

I contacted them and asked if they can ship to internationally but it's only available in Japan currently.

Interestingly it doesn't look like a large unit!
@Reebonz mini review... not ready for prime time.

Hi!
It seems you are in the same boat as me. I ordered the yincrow calf for starters. They are similary priced and seem to use the same shell.
Chances are you will love them, I especially like the cable on the calf, it is light, soft, no microphonics and does not tangle too much. (Guessing the cable on the rhino is very similar...)
My choice fell on the faaeal Iris 2.0 and 2* the vido earbud. Apparently Vido/yincrow x6/nicehck traceless are all the same earbud or use at least the same driver. The main difference being the price...
Rigokoudoku did a review of the faaeal iris 2.0, where he compares it to a bunch of other cheap earbuds. Might be helpful:
If you have bigger ears it might be an idea for you to also order some silicone rings to enhance the diameter of the rhino. I did not get a good fit with the yincrow calf at the beginning...
In any case let us know what you think about the yincrow rhino, once you get it.
I posted these Rhino and Calf FR graphs a while back. The FR graphs don't tell the whole story. My quick thoughts of Calf compared to RW-3000. My quick thoughts of Rhino compared to RW-2000 and 3000. Both Calf and Rhino are nice sets in their price range and either could be good depending on people's sound preferences. I prefer the Rhino over the Calf. I think the Rhino's sound have more in common with the RW-2000 / 3000 than the Calf.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #72,834 of 75,716
Stay tuned for more in the coming months.

1700850968383.jpeg
Make a deal with the devil, sign on the dotted line and sell your soul. ::LOL:: Ultimate eternal pleasure is just around the corner...

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #72,835 of 75,716
@Reebonz mini review... not ready for prime time.

I posted these Rhino and Calf FR graphs a while back. The FR graphs don't tell the whole story. My quick thoughts of Calf compared to RW-3000. My quick thoughts of Rhino compared to RW-2000 and 3000. Both Calf and Rhino are nice sets in their price range and either could be good depending on people's sound preferences. I prefer the Rhino over the Calf. I think the Rhino's sound have more in common with the RW-2000 / 3000 than the Calf.
Thanks! Going to read it right away - exactly what I am looking for as I am very interested in the differences of the yincrow offerings (owning one of them).
I still remember seeing the frequency graphs of the sets. Those are telling nothing at all, except for the subbass roll off. They are nomalized to some target that we do not know, so there is no real info there. I still got the calf also because the graph seemed so clean. Sucessful marketing! 🙈

Nov 25, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #72,836 of 75,716
No worries, I’m glad you have a set you love! As a jazz fan, I’m mostly very curious about how these sound, especially in comparison to Ripples, my current favorite for jazz.

Your wish is my command (compared using with what I believe are stock Ripples full foams & Blue Moon with VE donuts (tuned with these)):

• Ripples is warmer, has more midbass quantity and less treble emphasis creating an overall warmer and weightier tonality
  • Extension and air is hard to differentiate
  • Dynamics are quite similar but macro swings might just go to Ripples
  • Blue Moon has a larger stage with greater instrument separation but somewhat similar stage depth
  • Ripples may have a resolution advantage across the midrange but the upper midrange and lower treble is less pronounced blunting strings and some other instruments too much (for me)
  • Ripples has more subdued vocals by comparison, placed more intimately due to stage size but with less breath and reach as Blue Moon. Blue Moon favours female vocals, whereas Ripples favours male. Overall I prefer vocals on Blue Moon for the greater presence
  • Timbre is more organic on Blue Moon despite it being brighter in tone and lighter in weight - the softer upper midrange impacts timbral accuracy on Ripples (imo).
Both are great buds but what makes Blue Moon a TOTL'er is the tone, tech and timbre together. For example, APWS has a high Hz slant that makes for an odd balance (oddly beautiful and appealing, imo). TGXear Alpha has the timbre and staging but lacks some treble presence and air. FQL Ibis has the timbre, staging and dynamic but has a warmer tonal balance and less midrange clarity (hence, I use it for fatigue-free long-listening sessions). Blue Moon is the most tonally balanced set in my top 10 and that's an achievement in it's own right, however, it's the performance overall that pushes it so far up my list.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #72,837 of 75,716
Hi!

Thx @droenald! Certainly keen to compare notes on the Rhino versus Calf to add to the observations made by @mt877. Great tip re finding a good fit - do you have a link to the silicone rings?

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #72,838 of 75,716
Your wish is my command (compared using with what I believe are stock Ripples full foams & Blue Moon with VE donuts (tuned with these)):

• Ripples is warmer, has more midbass quantity and less treble emphasis creating an overall warmer and weightier tonality
  • Blue Moon has a larger stage with greater instrument separation but somewhat similar stage depth
  • Ripples may have a resolution advantage across the midrange but the upper midrange and lower treble is less pronounced blunting strings and some other instruments too much (for me)
  • Ripples has more subdued vocals by comparison, placed more intimately due to stage size but with less breath and reach as Blue Moon. Blue Moon favours female vocals, whereas Ripples favours male. Overall I prefer vocals on Blue Moon for the greater presence
  • Timbre is more organic on Blue Moon despite it being brighter in tone and lighter in weight - the softer upper midrange impacts timbral accuracy on Ripples (imo).
Both are great buds but what makes Blue Moon a TOTL'er is the tone, tech and timbre together. For example, APWS has a high Hz slant that makes for an odd balance (oddly beautiful and appealing, imo). TGXear Alpha has the timbre and staging but lacks some treble presence and air. FQL Ibis has the timbre, staging and dynamic but has a warmer tonal balance and less midrange clarity (hence, I use it for fatigue-free long-listening sessions). Blue Moon is the most tonally balanced set in my top 10 and that's an achievement in it's own right, however, it's the performance overall that pushes it so far up my list.
Very much appreciated, thank you. It’s that combination of timbre, tone, and tech that I find so intriguing (though, as a fan of warmer buds), Ibis also sounds very intriguing). Anyway, enjoy and thanks again for the comparison.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #72,839 of 75,716
Thanks! Going to read it right away - exactly what I am looking for as I am very interested in the differences of the yincrow offerings (owning one of them).
I still remember seeing the frequency graphs of the sets. Those are telling nothing at all, except for the subbass roll off. They are nomalized to some target that we do not know, so there is no real info there. I still got the calf also because the graph seemed so clean. Sucessful marketing! 🙈
Never pay too much attention to graphs for buds. They are the most inconsistent of all head gear where graphs are concerned. Most people's rigs have couplers rather than a set of ears, which makes those readings completely inaccurate. It is like pressing both buds into your ears hard; the sound completely changes, and we all know that buds don't rest in your ears in this way. Also, if a person has a set of ears to measure with, that will be mostly inaccurate as well because, as we also know the very acoustics are decided (in part) by the size and shape of our ears.

@Ronion was getting pretty good at coming up with some readings that actually resembled what most of us heard from a set (and BTW, foams do indeed make changes to the FR graph) and were pretty consistent as well.

This is a great way to describe what exactly makes the difference between TOTL buds, cheap buds, and everything in between. Even a lot of TOTL buds/IEMs/headphones, are lacking in at least one, or in some cases all but one, of those categories. It is very rare to find a set of head gear that is "top dawg" in ALL of those categories, and those are usually priced so steep that the masses can't afford them anyhow. :wink:
Very much appreciated, thank you. It’s that combination of timbre, tone, and tech that I find so intriguing (though, as a fan of warmer buds), Ibis also sounds very intriguing). Anyway, enjoy and thanks again for the comparison.
Really not trying to be a tease, but it sounds like the Caelum would be perfect for you (which are fairly similar to the Yinman 2.0, only better in most cases, IMHO).

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #72,840 of 75,716

Users who are viewing this thread

Back