Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 18, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #73,981 of 75,469
I'd like to get a 16mm driver bud. Do they hit harder then the regular 15.44mm? I've read that they do. But you know , it's the Internets...

But the real reason I wanna get one is to try the bigger shell that holds it. I love the mx500 size, but I could take a bit bigger(I know I know).
I think you'll have a very hard time finding an earbud with a 16mm driver. The biggest diameter earbud that I own and know of to date is the Dunu Alpha 1 which is no longer available. Maybe you can find a second hand set if you're lucky. They are a dual driver BA and DD earbud and they are actually too big for most people for a comfortable solid fit. If the fit and seal is not perfect you lose bass and get a thin sounding earbud. I'm fortunate that they just barely fit my ears and have a solid fit without causing pain that others have complained about. See the red dot in the one bud, that is the BA that fires mids and treble into your ear canal.

11983746.jpg

And why is that? I've never owned a high impedance phone, and now I feel like I'm missing out on allot.

Is it cuz there's a lot of head room on the 300ohm's that shine more than say a 32ohm?

Like I said I think I'm missing out. So I think may next purchase(geez I got 4 flats coming now) will be the Qigom 300ohm White Lotus since his 32ohm build has been in my ears 95% of the time I'm listening to music.
The context of why I recommended them was because the person asking has a desktop amp with an output impedance which causes hiss when used with low impedance head gear. Higher impedance drivers are a better match and are pretty much immune to low level hiss from an amplifier.

There is a history of using high impedance headphones in the past for both studio work and home, but that has changed for the most part due to modern amplifier design. Here's a link which explains low vs high impedance headphones. Here's a head-fi thread discussing this very topic as well.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #73,982 of 75,469
Here's some measurements I made and posted here a while back. The typical MX500 shell has the 2nd largest diameter in my measurements, then add the foam on top of that and it's too big and an uncomfortable fit for your ears. The FiiO FF3 and FF5 are slightly smaller. The Yincrow Calf / Rhino have pretty small diameter, but the king of small diameter is the PK shell coming in at 16.10mm.

The choice of earbuds using the PK shell is limited compared to MX500 shell, but one outstanding bud is the Shozy BK, slightly lower cost version is Shozy BKSE (SE = Special Edition).

Anyway, hope this is helpful.

Yincrow X6 (MX500 shell) - 16.80mmYincrow RW-3000 - 16.88mmYincrow RW-2000 - 16.88mmFiiO FF3 - 16.50mm
FiiO FF5 - 16.50mmYincrow Calf - 16.32mmYincrow Rhino - 16.32mmShozy BK (PK shell) - 16.10mm
thanks for the details. Do those smaller diameter shells take 15.4mm drivers? if so are they available to purnchase separately ?

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #73,984 of 75,469
thanks for the details. Do those smaller diameter shells take 15.4mm drivers? if so are they available to purnchase separately ?
PK1 two slot rear vent shell : The original PK shells have 2 rear vent slots, do not get the cheaper single vent PK shells.
14.8mm 150Ω red film drivers : These original high impedance PK drivers are becoming scarce and the cost of the drivers reflect it.

Search AliExpress for more.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #73,985 of 75,469
Feb 18, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #73,986 of 75,469
PK1 still good in 2024 ?
I have not listened to music with the original Yuin PK1, so no comment about them. I have built buds with the parts listed and they sound great. Other PK style buds like Shozy BK sound very good. There's also more and less expensive PK style buds available for sale, but have no experience with them.

There are PK / 14.8mm aficionados here (or used to be here) that might chime in with recs or further information.

Feb 18, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #73,987 of 75,469
PK1 still good in 2024 ?
There are PK / 14.8mm aficionados here (or used to be here) that might chime in with recs or further information.
I have a few 14.8mm earbuds and have tried several others. The common consensus is that 15.4mm drivers are far superior in every way and are more affordable and easier to find, and if I'm not mistaking, most of the 14.8mm are old salvaged drivers from old earbuds, and only a few new 14.8mm drivers are being made.

Some of the best 14.8mm drivers I've tried are the Cresyn static electricity 1, 2, and the 150 ohm Redfilm (which is the one they used in PK1). I couldn't give out links because all of the sellers I bought from have already closed down.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #73,988 of 75,469
I have a few 14.8mm earbuds and have tried several others. The common consensus is that 15.4mm drivers are far superior in every way and are more affordable and easier to find, and if I'm not mistaking, most of the 14.8mm are old salvaged drivers from old earbuds, and only a few new 14.8mm drivers are being made.
For DIY, 15.4mm is definitely easier to source and affordable versus some 14.8mm drivers. While that is true, there is still value for those people that have small ears that require smaller earbuds. As far as superior to smaller size drivers goes, I'm not sure either way. Some recent commercial earbuds (as an example, FiiO and Yincrow) are using 15mm and 14.2mm drivers and I doubt you would say they don't sound as good or not better than 15.4mm drivers.

Anyway, as long as there is a source of DIY supplies and commercially available smaller shell / smaller driver earbuds or people that have a need for them, then in my book, all is good.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #73,989 of 75,469
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #73,990 of 75,469
For DIY, 15.4mm is definitely easier to source and affordable versus some 14.8mm drivers. While that is true, there is still value for those people that have small ears that require smaller earbuds. As far as superior to smaller size drivers goes, I'm not sure either way. Some recent commercial earbuds (as an example, FiiO and Yincrow) are using 15mm and 14.2mm drivers and I doubt you would say they don't sound as good or not better than 15.4mm drivers.

Anyway, as long as there is a source of DIY supplies and commercially available smaller shell / smaller driver earbuds or people that have a need for them, then in my book, all is good.
I agree with all your points; it's just that a lot of people say that 15.4 DIY drivers sound better. I really like them, and with the right shell, they fit my ears perfectly. That's why I'm trying to find more 14.8mm drivers to try but they're getting harder and harder to find.
https://m.vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005005733434841.html

I used this one. Very tight, needs a lot of power. Neutral sound, as for me it lacks dynamics
Yes, I have tried this driver compared to other branded 14.8mm earbuds. They sound much better to me. It sounds neutral and a little bit on the brighter side. I really like it, but like you've mentioned, it's lacking in its dynamics.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #73,992 of 75,469
Another blessed creation from @FranQL featuring Clan Audio litz copper MMCX cable. Draco features the awesome 600ohm bery - my favourite driver, hands down. The timbre is unmatched.

_DSC4322NEW.jpg

Feb 18, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #73,994 of 75,469
Hello everybody!

I've been reading the forum occasionally but haven't actually posted anything. I would appreciate if you can help me decide which earbuds to get in the $100-$150 price range. I've narrowed down my search to four models: Fiio FF5, EM5 (used), VE Asura 3.0FE and Rikubuds Saber 3. I'm looking for something that has good build quality and a dark/warm sound, since I'm sensitive to sparky treble.

Based on sound signature, from what I've seen, the best option would be either the Rikubuds or the EM5. The Asura seem more neutral, and the FF5 a bit more V shaped, though I was interesed in these two from a build quality perspective, they look good and well built. I also assumed I could EQ any treble sharpness they might have, or use some thick foams to lower it down.

What would you guys recommend based on your experience? Also I'm open to look for any alternatives in that price range, or cheaper, you might think are a better option.

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #73,995 of 75,469
How often do people clean or wipe down their 2.5/3.5/4.4 connector? Does it matter to avoid touching the plug connector with bare hands?
I wipe mine before using them using cotton pads, and sometimes I put alcohol on it. When it's dirty it affects the connectivity of the jack and makes static noises based on my experience.
Another blessed creation from @FranQL featuring Clan Audio litz copper MMCX cable. Draco features the awesome 600ohm bery - my favourite driver, hands down. The timbre is unmatched.

Congrats and lucky you😉btw, your shot is really good; it looks like it could be used as advertisement material haha.
Hello everybody!

I've been reading the forum occasionally but haven't actually posted anything. I would appreciate if you can help me decide which earbuds to get in the $100-$150 price range. I've narrowed down my search to four models: Fiio FF5, EM5 (used), VE Asura 3.0FE and Rikubuds Saber 3. I'm looking for something that has good build quality and a dark/warm sound, since I'm sensitive to sparky treble.

Based on sound signature, from what I've seen, the best option would be either the Rikubuds or the EM5. The Asura seem more neutral, and the FF5 a bit more V shaped, though I was interesed in these two from a build quality perspective, they look good and well built. I also assumed I could EQ any treble sharpness they might have, or use some thick foams to lower it down.

What would you guys recommend based on your experience? Also I'm open to look for any alternatives in that price range, or cheaper, you might think are a better option.

Thanks!
I think the Fiio FF3s will fit you better based on your preferences, and they're much cheaper, or if you can stretch your budget a bit more, get the Yinman 600. It's endgame for most people, but it requires amping.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back