Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 20, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #41,566 of 75,149
:gs1000smile:

I got 3 Sabias (2 pearl and one mmcx), 2 dunu E10 and 1 5x150, 1 orange kube, I already have 2 black kubes. I'm missing my Sabia two much (was stolen)! I asked Jultoptau to sell other earbuds that are hard to get outside of Indonesia like:
I never thought the orange would ever be so popular to be honest.
Very happy to see you have finally got a few replacements for your Sabia.

Yes, I had been in contact with him trying to find other colors. He had explained why it would have to be more expensive than the other colors and I was willing to go for it. It looks like a couple of others have also ordered the pink.

Besides the pink Kube1 for me , I also ordered a white one for my husband...he already has orange and blue. I already have orange, purple, and white. We might find some pretty cables one day to put on the white Kubes.

I ordered the Sabia Rose for myself... love copper cables and this one is so pretty. We both already have
Sabia Pearls.

Do you keep a running list of what you have? I found it's the only way. Even now I have to go back and see as I am trying to figure out what I need to give to friends here.

Apr 20, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #41,567 of 75,149
Do you keep a running list of what you have? I found it's the only way. Even now I have to go back and see as I am trying to figure out what I need to give to friends here.

Of course...we both have full up to date lists in our profiles. I just assumed everyone had looked at it :)

Apr 20, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #41,568 of 75,149
Yes, I had been in contact with him trying to find other colors. He had explained why it would have to be more expensive than the other colors and I was willing to go for it. It looks like a couple of others have also ordered the pink.

Besides the pink Kube1 for me , I also ordered a white one for my husband...he already has orange and blue. I already have orange, purple, and white. We might find some pretty cables one day to put on the white Kubes.

I ordered the Sabia Rose for myself... love copper cables and this one is so pretty. We both already have
Sabia Pearls.

Plus there is another that I had talked about with the seller a while back. We decided to take a chance and got one for each of us. We have seen photos and a few comments on EA. AIDEX DX-SII-10001 (NW-Studio).

Now... tonight... back to the Smabat.

Wow!!! Amazing, I got the last AIDEX DX-SII-10001 too. Thank you! I got the Dunus 'cause I really like my dk-3001. I don't know how the Dunu earbuds sounds, but Dunu is a good brand.

Apr 20, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #41,569 of 75,149
OK, I attached the foams to the ST-10s...and it did add volume and temperature [bass extension is actually quite good], improved fit, and removed that metallic timbre...with the exception of the upper midrange which remains quite sharp. At least ithey don't sound bad anymore...it is too early to give more details. Sibilance is still there to some extent (upper midrange/lower treble peaks, I assume), and I am first and foremost fighting with that loose MMCX connector...that crackling and the dropouts in one earpiece are annoying. Nothing appears to help...

Lemon perhaps?

Did a quick measurement just now, here is how my ST-10 (w/ normal foam) FR curve looks like. Nothing in the normal 4kHz ~ 8kHz sibilant zone but a dip and the peak over 10kHz is too low to cause any issue.

ST-10 FR.png

Apr 20, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #41,570 of 75,149
Wow!!! Amazing, I got the last AIDEX DX-SII-10001 too. Thank you! I got the Dunus 'cause I really like my dk-3001. I don't know how the Dunu earbuds sounds, but Dunu is a good brand.

He only put up three Aidex a few hours ago after I told him I would buy two... he had explained that the signature was not for everyone. He possibly has more (just guessing) and wanted to wait and see what would happen with these.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #41,571 of 75,149
He only put up three Aidex a few hours ago after I told him I would buy two... he had explained that the signature was not for everyone. He possibly has more (just guessing) and wanted to wait and see what would happen with these.
Now, it's out of stock. One thing that caught my attention was that he said that Sabias will be no longer available. These will be the last:

THIS IS THE LAST SABIA V6 STOCK WE HAVE SINCE IT WAS MEANT FOR WARRANTY STOCK. SO IT WILL NOT BE ON SALE ANYMORE WHEN IT IS SOLD OUT.

After I read this, I got one more, now I have 2 pearl, 1 rose and 1 mmcx.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #41,573 of 75,149

There are still plenty of Aidex over at Taobao if anyone wants one. They practically found a warehouse full of it a few years ago that never makes it to Japan when Aidex (the company) was sold.off

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #41,574 of 75,149
One can claim I did not give the Smabat enough consideration -- and they are possibly right -- but one earpiece not working properly, sibilance, and a severe fit issue may turn one off initially. I'll have a second look at them with foams and report back...

In summary, why should I recommend lemons and what good is my review if I did. As it stands, I would be poed if I had forked out $110 for the Smabats and $70 for the Koels.

I have approached the dealer and asked for his shipping address to return the Smabats at my own expense. At least he can claim his money back from the manufacturer for the faulty MMCX connector.

I personally have not done this but I know of people who have fixed the connector by fiddling with something inside. ... ask Slater maybe.

as for sibilance with with the ST-10, absolutely none for me but I mentioned using thick full foams.

if you have a fine nosed pair of pliers slightly tight the middle connector on you mmcx cable connector so it can grip better

You can also use a pick or small eyeglass screwdriver. The center pin is hollow and split on the earbud side. Just press it inwards with light pressure.

Sometimes when inserting the cable, it's solid pin flexes the split and it makes poor contact after. I've had one so loose from the factory it made no contact after the 2nd time plugging it in, before I figured out what it was. Once tightened up one time, it's been absolutely fine since.

Also I may not be selling my EBX anymore. Solved my fit issues using a cable with an ear guide (non-memory wire). Kinda sucks as the cable that comes with the EBX seems nice.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #41,579 of 75,149
Lemon perhaps?

Did a quick measurement just now, here is how my ST-10 (w/ normal foam) FR curve looks like. Nothing in the normal 4kHz ~ 8kHz sibilant zone but a dip and the peak over 10kHz is too low to cause any issue.

Thanks. Great graph -- very useful -- and indeed nothing suspicious in there. I noticed the early treble rolloff (that starts in the upper midrange) and also the good bass extension. What coupler do you use? Did you measure with the foams?

I don't think it is a lemon as both sides sound the same. Take Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", Live Aid version (from the "Bohemian Rhapsody" soundtrack). It starts with the crowd cheering and high piano notes before Freddie Mercury sings. Both crowd and piano sound piercing to me...could well be a fit issue...or I need to add a donut onto the foam as suggested by @mbwilson111.

You can also use a pick or small eyeglass screwdriver. The center pin is hollow and split on the earbud side. Just press it inwards with light pressure.

Another good advice, thanks. I tried it with some fine
pliers but realize that I have a fantastic Hama micro screwdriver set...what is odd is that there is nothing useful on MMCX connector repair on the internet. I actually tried what you suggested but have the impression is it more of a vertical issue...when I pull it out a bit, it works better...will address it again tomorrow.

if you have a fine nosed pair of pliers slightly tight the middle connector on you mmcx cable connector so it can grip better
On the earpiece you mean? I tried this inside the earpiece...with visible success but it did not improve the functionality. Tried this last year with the Tinaudio T2:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-reference-list.805930/page-599#post-14159643

Do you have another cable you can use? BTW..don't just pull on the connectors to remove it. Wedge in your fingernail or something similar.

..and don't forget burn-in.

Burnt in overnight. And yes, I tried the cable that came with the NiceHCK M6...and it didn't work at all: no sound. But first, I just reversed right and left on the original cable and the result was the same. This indicated the flaw lied in the earpiece's female connector.

I also tried some special contact lube that came with the UE900s. What could work as a conductive paste that establishes the contact between the male cable end and the female earpiece [spark plug paste]?

Picture of the T2...couldn't fix it completely in the end last year.

IMG_6282.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #41,580 of 75,149
Haley Reinhart and Morgan James work with PMJ are my favorite. Does good with female vocals?

I've been enjoying the wide range of (mostly female) PMJ vocalists today - so far listening to (most, or all of) the tracks sung by: Sara Niemietz, Haley Reinhart, Morgan James, Ariana Savalas, Robyn Adele Anderson, Cristina Gatti, Ashley Stroud, Shoshana Bean, Puddles Pity Party, Casey Abrams, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back