Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 20, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #41,536 of 75,342
And once I am done with the Rambo, I'll retire from earbuds as they are a general design flaw, considering the wrong angle between transducer and ear canal.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is why I find most buds work best for me worn sideways.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #41,537 of 75,342
Low quantity of bass . I was just wondering because I’m tired of spent money and I always prefer apples in ear in terms of clarity to vocals you know ? I don’t know if there is something Better so that’s why I’m searching yet , sorry if it’s the wrong area to ask it

Hi Lucas, I like a lot of this iem list, if it was what you're looking for:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iem-score-list-last-update-01-04-2019.815852/

He posts his reviews in this site:

https://www.headfonia.com/author/berkhan/

Cheers.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #41,538 of 75,342
Is DIY SR2 150ohm version significally better in overall SQ than 16 and 32ohm version ?

The name of "SR2" is only for 16ohms, but I can understand what you want to say.
I don't have 150ohms(diy PK1) and 32ohms(diy PK2).
But seller said to me that "150ohms is for vocal, 32ohms has some bass, but not very much. If you like bass, you can use 150ohms red film pk1 driver, sound is very good."

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #41,539 of 75,342
Is DIY SR2 150ohm version significally better in overall SQ than 16 and 32ohm version ?

Different drivers, different sound signatures. Not necessarily better or worse sound quality. It depends on your preference, your music, your sources. This is why some of us enjoy trying different ones.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #41,540 of 75,342
is that your ear?
That's the ear of a hungry panda bear after 1.5 pints.

Maybe this is why I find most buds work best for me worn sideways.

Yes, sure, but that's not optimal either. And yes, earbuds are generally not for me. I like the Rambos, though, as they have forward mids and exquisite extended treble, and they are small. At $65 they would be my sweet spot. I would not go higher in an earbud.

Wow ...really ? Maybe earbud just not for you Otto
Anybody else can compare Smabat St-10 with Toneking TO600 ?

Thanks
You are probably right, although I had exclusively used Sennheiser earbuds for years [and I have a handful of HungryPanda DIY earbuds which I treasure]. I always look at the value (quality/price) and am rather a consumer advocate than somebody's marketing department. And I am a grumpy bastid. One can claim I did not give the Smabat enough consideration -- and they are possibly right -- but one earpiece not working properly, sibilance, and a severe fit issue may turn one off initially. I'll have a second look at them with foams and report back.

As to consumer advocacy: my co-blogger and I reviewed the Brainwavz Koel: we thoroughly measured (on two rigs) and listened and meticulously recorded a severe channel imbalance in both review units and a distinct lack of bass below 200 Hz. I then found another blogger (a very qualified person who I know) who described them as a failure for their lack of low end. And that's exactly what it was -- they have a volume problem with their 3-D printing. I approached the company and had the units returned to them for their own analysis. Needless to say that we reviewers were not popular with them and we may never be invited to review something for them again.

Now look at all the favourable reviews of these earphones all over the net...not a single one backs their findings up with measurements -- and some of them are linked to from Brainwavz's own propaganda blog. In summary, why should I recommend lemons and what good is my review if I did. As it stands, I would be poed if I had forked out $110 for the Smabats and $70 for the Koels.

I have approached the dealer and asked for his shipping address to return the Smabats at my own expense. At least he can claim his money back from the manufacturer for the faulty MMCX connector.

P.S. The Koel measurements are all accessible on my blog...to which I cannot link from inside a post I was told...I am not only unpopular with manufacturers after all. Just look at the signature...

PPS. That other blog in question is the truly excellent https://theheadphonecollector.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #41,544 of 75,342
EBX finally showed up in my mailbox last night, and they're blowing my mind right out of the box. Superb sound stage, great layering and separation of elements, and the best bass of any earbud I've heard so far -- that mid bass is powerful but accurate and controlled. And testing it against really complex/busy tracks it holds up perfectly, the stage doesn't close in, no harshness, and different elements of the mix are still distinctly layered and represented accurately.

It's like I'm sitting in a room with a pair of excellent floor standing speakers. Good times.

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #41,545 of 75,342
faulty MMCX connector

I personally have not done this but I know of people who have fixed the connector by fiddling with something inside. ... ask Slater maybe.

as for sibilance with with the ST-10, absolutely none for me but I mentioned using thick full foams.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #41,546 of 75,342
I personally have not done this but I know of people who have fixed the connector by fiddling with something inside. ... ask Slater maybe.

as for sibilance with with the ST-10, absolutely none for me but I mentioned using thick full foams.
No sibilance? ssssthatssss weird! Will have to invessssstigate withssss foamszzzzzz.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #41,547 of 75,342
No sibilance? ssssthatssss weird! Will have to invessssstigate withssss foamszzzzzz.

try a donut on top of the full foam... forget the silicone things. Also these deserve the best source you have.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #41,548 of 75,342
try a donut on top of the full foam... forget the silicone things. Also these deserve the best source you have.
First, I really have zero talent pulling these things over and second do I use the audioquest dragonfly black dac/amp...that's the best I can offer. Third, I will have cosmetic surgery to get my ears pandarized.

These Senns also don't stay in my ears...and then there are the KEF M-200...true horror fit.

b266a4f4-9d71-3c1c-a6f8-051babe5b166

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #41,549 of 75,342
First, I really have zero talent pulling these things over

Are you talking about getting the foams on? Takes me around 20 minutes plus a few tears of frustration. If my husband is home he can put them on in a couple of minutes. Ask your wife to do it... maybe she has nimble fingers.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #41,550 of 75,342
Heh, yeah, I was really struggling getting the donuts on my EBX last night, but tbf I was at the brewery for a while prior to that. I want to do the donut over full foams for them, just for cushioning/comfort reasons, I reaaaaaaaaaly struggle to get that done properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back