Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jul 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #4,292 of 5,854
YAY....another Abyss review:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-planar-magnetic-headphones

It's a mixed bag. Does things better than both the Stax sr-009 and HD800, but apparently has a couple of "flaws"
(for the reviewer's (Tyll) taste).

I have actually done something very brave (or stupid). I have ordered an Abyss ab-1266.
Hopefully would pair well with my audio-gd nfb 27 dac/amp.

I was considering a Stax sr-009 setup but the investment I had to put in a very good electrostatic amp (in terms of cost, and  more importantly, desk space) made me go for these instead. I also would like a soundstage reminiscent of the HD800 with a planar magnetic bass.. I also found the power usage of the electrostatic amps a little high for my liking (hey, it's probably silly to mention considering the cost of these high end headphones).

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #4,294 of 5,854
Just became a member here and want to thank you for this insane review. Though I am sure the pleasure was all yours!

I will never be able to afford even one item from your list but thank goodness I somehow manage to enjoy music despite this limitation!

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #4,295 of 5,854
Quote:
How about a Head-Fi community owned set of gear: As a group buy the top twenty HP's, several top end DAC's and AMP's, then rotate them around the "group."  For coming up with this brilliant idea I get the 1st week with the Orpheus.
biggrin.gif

Here you go:
http://www.thecableco.com/Product/NEW-Headphone-Lending-Library
You can borrow up to 7 headphones simultaneously.

They advertise on InnerFidelity, never heard of them before.
Tyll even mentions them in his Abyss AB-1266 article:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-planar-magnetic-headphones-page-2

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #4,296 of 5,854
Jul 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #4,297 of 5,854
Quote:
YAY....another Abyss review:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-planar-magnetic-headphones

It's a mixed bag. Does things better than both the Stax sr-009 and HD800, but apparently has a couple of "flaws"
(for the reviewer's (Tyll) taste).

I have actually done something very brave (or stupid). I have ordered an Abyss ab-1266.
Hopefully would pair well with my audio-gd nfb 27 dac/amp.

I was considering a Stax sr-009 setup but the investment I had to put in a very good electrostatic amp (in terms of cost, and  more importantly, desk space) made me go for these instead. I also would like a soundstage reminiscent of the HD800 with a planar magnetic bass.. I also found the power usage of the electrostatic amps a little high for my liking (hey, it's probably silly to mention considering the cost of these high end headphones).

Thanks for the link to the review!  I enjoyed reading Tyll's thoughts on the Abyss, for they are heavily in my radar right now.  

I have been really wanting to audition these cans, for, like you, I would rather not have to invest $5000+ for an electrostatic amp that is worthy of the Stax SR-009.  Please let us know your impressions.  When is your Abyss scheduled to arrive?  I hope that you love them!

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #4,298 of 5,854
Quote:

The measurements would suggest outright flaws.

I totally agree with you... However...some quotes from the article:

"...It would be easy at this point to simply say more distortion is worse, but that's not necessarily true. If it were, tube amps would be universally worse sounding than solid-state amps, which is simply not the case for many listeners."

AND

"..I suppose that may be the nature of world-class headphones: At some point the measurements and technicalities have to be thrown out the window; what really matters is the listening experience."

AND FINALLY

"Compared directly to the other cans, the SR-009 sounded a bit sterile and amazingly not as fast as the AB-1266. The bass on the Abyss was clearly more potent. The LCD-3 had slightly better bass response and neutrality than the AB-1266, but was somewhat muffled and withdrawn comparison. The HD 800 is the best imaging headphone I've heard, pin-point in it's precision. The Abyss had about the same sense of spaciousness, in fact, maybe more so given it's sparkly character, but it lacked the precise imaging of the HD 800. It fairly easily bested the HD 800 in bass response."

It does not mean we should throw out headphone specs and measurements, but I think there is a point where some measurements become negligible or may not really hurt the listening experience.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #4,299 of 5,854
Quote:
Just became a member here and want to thank you for this insane review. Though I am sure the pleasure was all yours!

I will never be able to afford even one item from your list but thank goodness I somehow manage to enjoy music despite this limitation!

Hmm... Never say never.  Some of the headphones on the list are relatively inexpensive.  The HE-400 and the DT800 both spring to mind.  You'll get there!

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #4,300 of 5,854
I know this has been already asked before, and probably even by me, but I'd love to see the JVC DX1000 on that ranking.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #4,301 of 5,854
There is a pair of MDR-10s on the market in Europe via Adiogon.  

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-sony-mdr-r10-2013-07-18-headphones-portugal-europe

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #4,302 of 5,854
Quote:
Thanks for the link to the review!  I enjoyed reading Tyll's thoughts on the Abyss, for they are heavily in my radar right now.  

I have been really wanting to audition these cans, for, like you, I would rather not have to invest $5000+ for an electrostatic amp that is worthy of the Stax SR-009.  Please let us know your impressions.  When is your Abyss scheduled to arrive?  I hope that you love them!

Thank you! I hope I do enjoy them. They will come early next week.

I will give you my impressions. However, I cannot give you an accurate comparison to the sr-009. Only the HD800s, LCD3s and he-6.

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #4,303 of 5,854
Quote:
There is a pair of MDR-10s on the market in Europe via Adiogon.  

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-sony-mdr-r10-2013-07-18-headphones-portugal-europe

ahahahahahah, is the effect of the crise in Portugal.

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #4,304 of 5,854
Quote:
Thank you! I hope I do enjoy them. They will come early next week.

I will give you my impressions. However, I cannot give you an accurate comparison to the sr-009. Only the HD800s, LCD3s and he-6.

I should also mention that one of the people from the A2A (reputable reseller that I bought it from) told me that roughly 50% of people who listen to the Abyss state that it is the best headphones they have ever heard, using a setup with a high end cavalli amp.

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #4,305 of 5,854
Quote:
It does not mean we should throw out headphone specs and measurements, but I think there is a point where some measurements become negligible or may not really hurt the listening experience.

That's the defense and fair enough, the listening experience is what counts (I've not heard them, mind you). The measurements do tell something else, though, and in this case I get the impression that JPS ultimately got lucky that they managed to wrestle the driver into a configuration that performs, even though the measurements would suggest that it's anything but under control.

Still, I think the Abyss are interesting in terms of bringing in competition, and there seems to be potential for later versions as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back