Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jul 18, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #4,263 of 5,854
For the OP, did you have any chance getting the DT 990 Pro (250ohm) and DT 990 (250 or 600ohm) and have it added to this comparison collection? Also, did u ever buy the M-100? Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4,266 of 5,854
Quote:
So the reversion 2 has fixed the cracking issue?..I love the look of the Rosewood more than the Bamboo...

Based on reports from the past two years, it does seem that the new design has helped to alleviate the cracking issue quite a bit.  Bamboo is a bit lighter and more durable, but, even so, many, like you, prefer the aesthetics of the rosewood cups.   

Quote:
If anyone has a spare $22K laying around - a Sennheiser Orpheus HE90/HEV 90 set just listed over at Audiogon.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/over-ear-sennheiser-orpheus-he90-hev-90-set-matching-pair-rare-and-original-2013-07-10-headphones-germany

Wow!  It wasn't too long ago (2006 or so) that this sublime set went for $5000 to $6000.  If only I had known how it would skyrocket!

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #4,268 of 5,854
Quote:

I'd recommend buying 275 sets of Unipolar 2000/HER 2000 instead.

dt880smile.png
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #4,269 of 5,854
Thanks for your prompt consideration!

I've heard similar things about the HE-6 before I bought my T1s about a year ago.At that time I had no chance to listen to them(or this time for that matter). My life has to be very portable because I teach English as a second language internationally these days(often in remote areas).This is what got me from speakers and vinyl into headphones and flac. I don't have a great DAC/amp at the moment either(Nuforce Icon HDP) so I'm thinking about getting something better before the new headphones.

I need to get something fairly portable because I will probably go off to Asia again sometime in the fall/winter.My understanding is small/portable is not in line with HE-6 territory.I've also heard that the HE-6 is not so durable either but I've not actually held one in my hands.

Perhaps an amp that would suit both headphones well before I get the new headphones.I would need to sell the T1s to scrap together funds for the HE-6.

Sorry about the lengthy post but as I'm a new member I can't PM as of yet.....

I know it's a while but just came across your post and regarding a good amp/dac for your T1 that remain transportable I would recommend the ALO PanAm. You can get it with the optional battery and it become portable. I don't have my T1 anymore to try but I'm pretty sure it would be a good match IMO.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #4,271 of 5,854
"EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE: To my knowledge, the HE90 and its required amplifier is the most expensive headphone system of all time. Depending on the condition, expect to pay somewhere between 7 and 11 grand for the headphone alone. If the amp and headphone are sold together, the asking price may be more than your car's."

My new car (Mazda 3) was $22205 before taxes. David's statement is frightfully near-prophetic.

Truthfully, I'd be scared of buying any out of production model, just in the event it breaks. I'm perfectly happy with the current in-production stuff.

On an unrelated note, I just got my Lyr (stock GE tubes). Very happy with it, really opened up the HD800, although it's less fun than the giant vintage amp now. Need to upgrade the tubes now. I think the midrange is slightly bloated on the AD2000x, it responds about evenly with both amps.

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #4,272 of 5,854
Quote:
"EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE: To my knowledge, the HE90 and its required amplifier is the most expensive headphone system of all time. Depending on the condition, expect to pay somewhere between 7 and 11 grand for the headphone alone. If the amp and headphone are sold together, the asking price may be more than your car's."

My new car (Mazda 3) was $22205 before taxes. David's statement is frightfully near-prophetic.

Good point!  If I'm being honest, when I read RB's post, I thought, "Hmm... which car should I sell?  The MINI or the Infiniti?"  Answer: Neither!  
I do wish that I had a Delorean, however; I could then go back to 2005 when the asking price was about 4x less!  

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #4,273 of 5,854
I mean, I might consider going for a used car and putting the extra $7000-$8000 towards a Stax system instead, but $22000 is too much for an out of production headphone/amp. At least the Stax and whatever amp I get (BHSE!) can be serviced.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4,275 of 5,854
Quote:
I mean, I might consider going for a used car and putting the extra $7000-$8000 towards a Stax system instead, but $22000 is too much for an out of production headphone/amp. At least the Stax and whatever amp I get (BHSE!) can be serviced.

I fully agree!  

With respect to getting world-class excellence without selling the proverbial farm, I really would love to audition the new Abyss, for, just as my V200 amp can adroitly drive the HE-6, it also is capable of driving the new Abyss.  If the Abyss truly is a game-changer--better than the Stax SR-009 according to CNet's Steve Guttenberg--because my V200 would be up to the task of driving the Abyss, I could save $5200 on an electrostatic amp.  Cha-ching!  
size]

Quote:
That's why I'm really interested to see what David Solomon's take is on the HE60 relative to the HE90 (for obvious reasons 
wink_face.gif
).

I with you!  
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back